I'm looking to buy a rope for caving & climbing. Any sug

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

I'm looking to buy a rope for caving & climbing. Any sug

Postby wkb3rd » Oct 26, 2006 8:52 am

Can anyone tell me a good rope to purchase for caving & a little rock climbing? My gear calls for 9-12mm but I don't know much about ropes and the advantage or disadvantage to each size...
wkb3rd
Frequent Poster

Postby Tim White » Oct 26, 2006 9:15 am

Rope classified according to the Cordage Institute (CI)1801 as nylon static rope (such as PMI Pit Rope) has less than 6% elongation (i.e. stretch) at 10% min. breaking strength (mbs). Low stretch rope is what you would use for caving. Dynamic rope (climbing rope) has high elongation for force absorption. Good for catching a fall. Two different type of ropes for 2 very different type of use.

Then there is abrasion resistance, size, other material, etc. :hairpull:

Get 11mm Pit Rope for TAG pit bouncing.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby mabercrombie » Oct 26, 2006 9:17 am

cafving rope and climbing rope are two different creatures bill. since climbing rope is designed to absorb a fall it is stretches when weight is applied to it.
caving rope is NOT designed to absorb a fall since you will be climbing the actual rope with ascenders it DOES NOT stretch, so if you are climbing on caving rope and fall on it it can and will do very bad things to your innards.

PMI pit rope is pretty much the standard caving rope in america, its cheap tough and made in lafayette GA right down the road from you.
Im Marty Abercrombie
and I approve this message
mabercrombie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: marty abercrombie
NSS #: 51557
Primary Grotto Affiliation: chattanooga

Postby wkb3rd » Oct 26, 2006 9:27 am

Thanks guys.. Jerry was telling me about the pit rope while we were in Grindstone but I didn't quiet get it for some reason.. Maybe it was the climb out.. It looks like I need to be looking for the PMI pit rope to add to me collection of goodies but I'll wait till I have more experience learing to rig it.

The rope that the idiots use at PettyJohn gives like mad even on the short drops!
wkb3rd
Frequent Poster

Re: I'm looking to buy a rope for caving & climbing. Any

Postby hank moon » Oct 26, 2006 11:01 am

wkb3rd wrote:Can anyone tell me a good rope to purchase for caving & a little rock climbing? My gear calls for 9-12mm but I don't know much about ropes and the advantage or disadvantage to each size...

For caving and some top rope climbing only you could use PMI EZ Bend or BlueWater II+. I'd go with 10 or 11 mm. No one rope will suffice for lead climbing and caving.

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Steven Kesler » Oct 26, 2006 5:34 pm

What Hank Moon said.

Generally, for climbing use dynamic rope (ie high stretch) - the high stretch allows for more gentle absorption of dynamic events such as a lead climber's fall off the face - and for caving use low stretch (they used to be generally referred to as "static" ropes which is a bit of a misnomer in the case of nylon ropes.) Static ropes stretch less (generally somewhere between 6-10%) - a benefit when you want to climb back up the rope as there is less bounce.

As a beginner I would recommend you avoid the extremely low stretch ropes such as the polyester core or Dyneema core ropes as they are extremely unforgiving if subjected to dynamic loads.

That being said, there *MAY* be times when you *MAY* use static ropes when climbing (as for *SOME* low stretch ropes used in *SOME* top rope activities, and there *MAY* be times when you *MAY* use dynamic ropes while caving (such as when lead climbing or aid climbing while in a cave). In any event, please seek training from competant folks before setting out on your own.

As far as rope diameter is concerned, the thicker the rope, the heavier and more bulky it is. For single person use there is generally very little need to lug around an 11mm low stretch rope (unless someone else volunteers to carry it there and back :-). I would generally recommend a rope in the 9-10mm range - plenty strong enough and quite a bit less bulky to carry. PMI certainly has fine 9-10mm low stretch rope. Something to consider regarding rope sizes: many of the European designed and manufactured equipment is sized for ropes of around 8-10mm and may not work efficiently on an 11mm rope, especially an older, stiffer, fuzzier 11mm.

I often hear folks recommend 11mm rope to people because it is described as "indestructible." I have also witnessed quite a bit of what has been called "Indestructible Rope Technique" (mostly in the US), where folks opt for a nice thick, hard to abrade rope in liew of efficient rigging at the pitch. A little bit of forethought in regards to rigging the drop will not only allow you to carry a lighter rope, but also make for an easier entry/exit at the pitch head.

I would also recommend you seek competant folks to teach about rigging the rope as well as what type of rope best suits your style of caving.
Steven Kesler
walbatross.blogspot.com
Steven Kesler
Infrequent Poster

Postby wkb3rd » Oct 26, 2006 10:12 pm

Thanks Steve.. That helps a ton to clear up my questions on rope size.. I asked my girlfriend if size really mattered and she gave me a funny look and said "not really" but then she turned and laughed... Hmmm.. Anyway, I see your point about having competant people show me the "ropes" so to speak when it comes to rigging. I have a few guys from the Chattanooga Grotto helping me and I plan to work hard on it on my own by tying up my friends and stepping back to see if they can get themselves out.. Just kidding.. You guys have helped me a ton on this issue and I'm sure others had the same questions since you only get one chance to get things right.. It's hard finding the people who've all done it wrong... Hmmm.. They might still be stuck in a pit wondering why their expensive rope is to springy to climb..
wkb3rd
Frequent Poster

Return to Equipment Forum