Anybody else's Meander suit peeling?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Anybody else's Meander suit peeling?

Postby NZcaver » Oct 15, 2006 8:57 pm

I have a Meander caving suit, purchased from IMO around the end of 2002.

Overall I'm happy with it, except for one issue. Not long after I got it, I noticed small pieces of the lining de-laminating from the nylon suit (on the inside) and peeling off like a bad sunburn. Other than having to clean up the loose pieces occasionally, it never really bothered me all that much. But now the suit has lost about 50% of it's lining, and I'm wondering if something should be done.

Another caver told me he'd heard this was a known issue with some of these suits, and suggested I try returning it. But they might not like that it's been well-used, and sending it in would leave me without a suit for a while. Or I could find a way to strip off the rest of the lining and spray on Scotch Guard or something similiar.

Now I do machine-wash my suit fairly regularly, in cold water with a small amount of detergent. This may have exacerbated the problem, but I don't really see how leaving my suit dirty is an option. I would prefer to avoid cross-contaminating future caves that I visit, especially in different regions and countries.

So - has anybody else experienced this? If so, what have you done about it (if anything)? Comments, suggestions, anybody...? :hairpull:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 16, 2006 9:31 am

Mine has lost over 50% of the coating too. I think it's just the nature of the material. I used to work at a tent manufacturer where they made flies, floors and stuff sacks out of coated nylon. We were always getting stuff sacks returned with peeling lining. Most of the time it was blamed on the washing machine. I got my coveralls used and it was already peeling, but I know it was regularly washed in the machine. Washing machines are hard on fabrics. Probably best to just spray it off with garden hose.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby JoeyS » Oct 16, 2006 10:36 am

I got the same suit recently, and I have used it twice now and it's time for a bath. I will probably hose it down and then get any remaining soil off with a brush while the suit is emerged in a tub of soapy water, then rinse again. Sort of like how grandma used to do it.
I don't put my kneepads or my pack in the washing machine because like Scott said, they are very hard on fabrics.

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby paul » Oct 17, 2006 7:25 am

I've been using a Meander suit for the past 3 years and have not experienced the problem you describe nor any of my caving acquaintances who also own them.

As far as washing goes I only ever use a hose or stick it inder a cold water tap in a large sink and give it a brush - never in a washing machine.

Perhaps that's the reason - or maybe a batch of material suffered the problem.

The suit has some rips and tears which I have patched using the same material and a PVC glue and that works really well.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby VACaver » Oct 17, 2006 8:50 am

Mine has been machine washed in warm water after every cave trip and hung to dry...no peeling whatsoever.
VACaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Patrick

Postby icave » Oct 17, 2006 10:05 am

My last Meander suite (b. circa 2000 and d. circa 2006) peeled considerable. However, I used to pressure wash the suite at a car wash between trips. I think the high pressure washing accelerated the removal of the lining. I personally didn't care about the lining.

My new Meanders seem to be more prone to the stitching wear.
Signature, I don't need no stinkin signature!
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Spencer
NSS #: 48165
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Allentown Grotto

Postby Steven Kesler » Oct 24, 2006 4:08 pm

I think the peeling is more of an issue with this material rather than Meander. I have had several suits from other manufacturers - made from similar coated nylon - peel as well. I usually purchase a suit of this type with the realization that the coating will eventually peel off and dress accordingly. When caving in a warm climate I often feel the waterproof coating keeps me too warm and appreciate that eventually the coating will peel off. That being said, I currently own two Meander nylon caving suits and neither has peeled, yet :-)
Steven Kesler
walbatross.blogspot.com
Steven Kesler
Infrequent Poster

Postby Amocholes » Oct 25, 2006 5:02 am

I have a set of Lost Creek coveralls that began peeling after the 1st year. It left little flakes all over my polypros.
When facts are few and far between, hypothesis defies all logic, as to how an individual came to the conclusion, that the point that they are trying to make, is indeed true and not just the fabrications of a deluded mind.
Amocholes
Prolific Poster

Name: Don
NSS #: 49385
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Stonewall Cavers

Postby paul » Oct 25, 2006 6:50 am

Ah right - you're all talking about Nylon suits!

The only suits made by Meander available around here (UK) are the yellow PVC variety. :oops:

That's why I've never seen the peeling problem you describe!

Other Nylon caving oversuits I have and have used in the past which have a waterproof coating show this happening after some time regardless of manufacturer.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby NZcaver » Oct 27, 2006 3:20 am

paul wrote:Ah right - you're all talking about Nylon suits!

The only suits made by Meander available around here (UK) are the yellow PVC variety. :oops:

Yep - hence the second line of my first post. :wink:
...I noticed small pieces of the lining de-laminating from the nylon suit...

To be honest, I only recently discovered that Meander even make PVC suits! Aside from warm-climate caving in cotton, I'm one of those nylon/cordura-only guys... :cool:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby caverdoc » Nov 1, 2006 6:47 pm

I've got a red Meander suit I've used for about five years now, no peeling but I generally hand-wash it with a little generic Woolite.

I've had Lost Creek packs start to peel after washing in a machine. I'm such a gear whore that I clean my gear after each trip (trips being fewer now than my misspent youth) generally in my shower during the week after a trip. First I hose off the big chunks and mud outside. The grass really grows great from that cave mud!

Dr J
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Return to Equipment Forum