Petzl Duo 14 LED

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby NZcaver » Nov 17, 2006 6:08 pm

Wayne Harrison wrote:I received the original Petzl Duo as a Christmas present and then upgraded to an 8 LED array a year later ($60 or thereabouts). Now, the 14 LED is available for about the same price. So when I figure in the cost of the original light, plus the $60 and now another $60, I have a couple of questions: should I even upgrade and would I better off just buying a new Duo and the 14 LEDs instead of buying just the LED module and putting it in my old Duo?

I would suggest that if your old Duo body is in good working condition, with years of life left in it, there's probably no point in paying more to buy a whole new Duo. Just get the upgrade.

Unless... you buy a whole new one, and choose to either keep the old one as a spare - or sell it on eBay (like I did with a couple of my spares).
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby cavernelson » Nov 18, 2006 9:22 pm

I have DUO 14 and I love it. works great. The halogen can go through batteries quick, but its powerful and needs some juice. My favorite caving partner changed her DUO 8 to the DUO 14 via the upgrade, works perfectly. No problems whatsoever. It is pricey, but its great to have both a halogen spotlight and LEDS with 3 settings.

cavernelson
Infrequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Nov 19, 2006 5:33 am

cavernelson wrote:I have DUO 14 and I love it. works great. The halogen can go through batteries quick, but its powerful and needs some juice...

FYI - there is a retro-fit 1 watt side-emitting LED available to replace the halogen in the Duo (and other headlamps/flashlights). Nice and bright, plus your batteries last longer than they do with the halogen.

More info in this old thread - http://www.caves.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... 7&start=34
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Petzl Duo LEDs

Postby ireedz » Jan 3, 2007 10:57 pm

All the DUO line has the upgraded LEDs. This occured in Spring 2006. This includes the 5 and 8 LED units. Petzl has also just increased prices on the DUO line, so if you can find them cheap do not put it off. The 14 LED module retails for 79.95 and the 8 LED module retails for 52.95. I have both new and old units, and the difference is really slim. The Duo LED 14 retails for 129.95 now and the Duo LED 5 for 95.95. There isn't much difference between the modules and complete light sets.
ireedz

:argue:
ireedz
Infrequent Poster

Re: Petzl Duo LEDs

Postby NZcaver » Jan 5, 2007 1:02 am

ireedz wrote:All the DUO line has the upgraded LEDs. This occured in Spring 2006. This includes the 5 and 8 LED units.

You may need to check on that. According to Hank's earlier post on this thread (dated October 06), the 5 and 8 LED modules do NOT use the same upgraded LEDs that go into the current 14 LED modules. :neutral:

hank moon wrote:So if this 14 LED module does use "new" LEDs, was the same module initially produced using the older generation LEDs (and later updated) - or do all 14 LED modules use the same LEDs?

*** The new module uses the new LEDs and its regulation circuitry is different.

And if this IS an updated version, when did the update occur and how does a buyer know they are not getting the old stock version?

*** New ones bear a sticker reading "new LED technology +30%" - runtime and output have been increased overall.

Do the 5 LED and 8 LED modules available now from retailers use brighter LEDs than before, or are they the same old modules?

*** 5 and 8 do not use the brighter LEDs.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby potholer » Jan 5, 2007 5:28 am

The 8 LED Duo doesn't seem to be mentioned on the headlamp section of Petzl's website - does that mean it's on its way out?
A UK caving shop was selling off 5 LED modules recently, but I'm not sure if that's due to newer ones coming along, their becoming generally obsolete, or simply down to them not selling at the regular price.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hank moon » Jan 5, 2007 8:20 am

potholer wrote:The 8 LED Duo doesn't seem to be mentioned on the headlamp section of Petzl's website - does that mean it's on its way out?
A UK caving shop was selling off 5 LED modules recently, but I'm not sure if that's due to newer ones coming along, their becoming generally obsolete, or simply down to them not selling at the regular price.

The only DUO LED for sport use still in production is the 14 - all others have been discontinued (not sure why).

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby potholer » Jan 5, 2007 8:39 am

Thanks for that.
The 5 LED is still listed as a product on the Petzl website, but that may just be legacy information, and/or old stocks are still being sold off.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby adleedy » Jan 5, 2007 9:02 am

i also have the duo 14 and absolutely love it.
adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: alan dwayne leedy
NSS #: 56663
Primary Grotto Affiliation: charleston grotto + ERVKET

Postby ireedz » Jan 5, 2007 9:06 am

The DUO 5 is still available. It is on the 2007 price sheet. The ones in stores locally have the little sticker noting the new LEDs. The DUO 8 is not available any longer, but the module for it is still available.
ireedz
ireedz
Infrequent Poster

Postby hank moon » Jan 5, 2007 5:21 pm

potholer wrote:Thanks for that.
The 5 LED is still listed as a product on the Petzl website, but that may just be legacy information, and/or old stocks are still being sold off.

OK, I had it wrong in the last post. The 8-LED module *has* been upgraded, but we (Petzl America) still have old stock. So...there are no "new" 8-LED units (to my knowledge) available in the U.S. or Canada, but there may be in other countries.

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MoonshineR DavE » Jan 5, 2007 10:19 pm

I cheaped out and built my own circuit (no brightness settings just wide open) for a 14 led module. The leds I used are not as bright as petzls but they are whiter :looking: .
MoonshineR DavE
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum