new rope

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

new rope

Postby volica » Sep 13, 2006 7:37 pm

hello and welcome.
I have just received my own rope, brand new 200' PMI Classic Pit. And now what?
Should I impregnate it, or something?
volica
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 57781

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 13, 2006 7:50 pm

Welcome and congrats on the new rope. Check out this thread about pre-shrinking your new rope:
http://www.caves.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=617
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Re: new rope

Postby JoeyS » Sep 13, 2006 7:53 pm

volica wrote:Should I impregnate it, or something?

:rofl: :woohoo: :shock:

Hahah!! sorry, that was just an easy target...

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby volica » Sep 13, 2006 10:16 pm

I follow your way of thinking :)
Need some cord, too.
However :
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/impregnate
volica
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 57781

Re: new rope

Postby NZcaver » Sep 13, 2006 11:23 pm

volica wrote:hello and welcome.
I have just received my own rope, brand new 200' PMI Classic Pit. And now what?
Should I impregnate it, or something?

Yes! :grin: With mud, obviously. :wink:

Have fun... :woohoo:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby killian » Nov 14, 2006 4:00 pm

No volica i am not a believer in doing things to the rope. using it works the best. if it was a go thing to do it would come from the factory this way.. it is all just crap.. use it love it throw it away when it looks like hell that's my rule of thumb.
killian
Prolific Poster

Name: Killian McCarthy
NSS #: 58343

Postby potholer » Nov 15, 2006 5:37 am

Well, there is an argument that the sheath doesn't actually grip the core properly before a rope is shrunk.

Even leaving that aside, ropes will shrink when they first get wet. If actually doing technical (European-style) rigging, it is possible for brand-new rope to be rigged, and then shrink in-situ to the point where it goes so taut between rebelays that it can't be abseiled on. I understand that has actually happened.

Additionally, some rope has a great deal of detergent/lubricant in, and gets seriously slippy when wet, unless soaked before use until clean.

As to why rope isn't rinsed/soaked/shrunk before sale, I'm not sure what the reasons are.
Maybe the presence of the detergents, or the fact that the nylon hasn't done its initial absorption of water extends the shelf-life of rope on the reel.
Maybe it's just something that costs money that manufacturers can get away with not doing. I'm not sure what a mechanised, continuous rope soaking-and-drying machine would look like, but I'd guess it might be quite a size, and quite expensive.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Nov 15, 2006 9:20 am

potholer wrote:Well, there is an argument that the sheath doesn't actually grip the core properly before a rope is shrunk.

Even leaving that aside, ropes will shrink when they first get wet. If actually doing technical (European-style) rigging, it is possible for brand-new rope to be rigged, and then shrink in-situ to the point where it goes so taut between rebelays that it can't be abseiled on. I understand that has actually happened.

Additionally, some rope has a great deal of detergent/lubricant in, and gets seriously slippy when wet, unless soaked before use until clean.

As to why rope isn't rinsed/soaked/shrunk before sale, I'm not sure what the reasons are.
Maybe the presence of the detergents, or the fact that the nylon hasn't done its initial absorption of water extends the shelf-life of rope on the reel.
Maybe it's just something that costs money that manufacturers can get away with not doing. I'm not sure what a mechanised, continuous rope soaking-and-drying machine would look like, but I'd guess it might be quite a size, and quite expensive.

I'm sure that might be the case with manufacturers like PMI, Blue-Water, New England and so forth that it's an additional cost (to them) that would reflect back on to us the consumers when it's hard enough to keep costs down in the first place. Especially since we'd be able to pre-wash our ropes basically for free in our bath-tubs (among other places).
I don't wonder if there's not a PMI employee lurking somewhere on this board that may give us a better answer ... after all they're makers of "caving rope made by cavers" ... aren't they? :waving:
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Return to Equipment Forum