Blade-mounting a PT Apex?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Blade-mounting a PT Apex?

Postby Steven Johnson » Aug 13, 2006 2:11 pm

Has anyone tried to use a blade-mount for a PT Apex? I like the light, but the strap setup is a little awkward, so I'm curious to try a blade-mount setup... but (1) I've never used such a setup before, and (2) the Apex isn't intrinsically designed for it, so I'm not sure whether this would be a good idea or not (or just a good way to screw up the light).

(I recall seeing another post where someone mounted an Apex directly to the helmet via screws, but I'd prefer something that would allow the light to be removed more easily...)
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Aug 13, 2006 6:56 pm

I was the one who posted about screwing the Apex to the helmet. (The screws go neatly through the strap brackets so there's no damage to the light.)

See http://www.caves.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... &start=110

I used a blade mount with my old carbide cap-lamp years ago - I thought mounting headlamps that way was virtually obsolete now? Anyway, my suggestion would be to make/modify a blade bracket and screw the Apex to it - the same way I screw the headlamp directly to my helmet.

Good luck! :woohoo:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Aug 13, 2006 7:05 pm

You could maybe make up a mounting bracket and attach it to the Apex at the screw that lets you set the vertical direction the light is pointing :question: I don't know I haven't seen all that many blade mount lights so I don't know what the brackets look like but it might be possible. :oops:
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Re: Blade-mounting a PT Apex?

Postby bsignorelli » Aug 15, 2006 9:56 pm

Steven Johnson wrote:the strap setup is a little awkward

Little awkward? How is it any different that other headlamps? Oh yeah...you have the option to remove the top strap which isn't something easily done on a lot of headlamps.

The Apex fits an Edelrid Ultralite and Petzl Ecrin Roc's nicely. If it doesn't work with your helmet then you could use some of those plastic headband clips that Petzl sells....that would a) securely mount the headband to any helmet and b) be easier than fabricating a blade mount.
Bryan Signorelli
Little Rock Grotto
bsignorelli
Prolific Poster

Postby ian mckenzie » Aug 16, 2006 3:56 pm

bsignorelli wrote: ...you could use some of those plastic headband clips that Petzl sells...
That's what I do, along with loosening the elastic straps a fair bit.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby Steven Johnson » Aug 16, 2006 7:28 pm

bsignorelli wrote:
Steven Johnson wrote:the strap setup is a little awkward

Little awkward? How is it any different that other headlamps?

I have an Ecrin Roc. When I adjust the plastic buckles on the PT's straps to get the right sizing, the buckles seem to exactly coincide with the plastic clippy bits on the helmet... but they don't slide under so well.

It's really more of a quibble than a real problem (and nothing that some duct tape couldn't improve :-) ) ... I was just wondering if there was a better way to mount this sucker.
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Aug 16, 2006 8:00 pm

Steven Johnson wrote:I have an Ecrin Roc. When I adjust the plastic buckles on the PT's straps to get the right sizing, the buckles seem to exactly coincide with the plastic clippy bits on the helmet... but they don't slide under so well.

It's really more of a quibble than a real problem (and nothing that some duct tape couldn't improve :-) ) ... I was just wondering if there was a better way to mount this sucker.

Screw it to the helmet. :wink:

Or you could try simply rotating the headband around so the buckles don't line up with your helmet clips... :caver:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Steven Johnson » Aug 16, 2006 8:03 pm

NZcaver wrote:Or you could try simply rotating the headband around so the buckles don't line up with your helmet clips... :caver:

:doh:

excuse me now while I dance the Homer dance...

:-(
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby bsignorelli » Aug 17, 2006 5:03 pm

It's ok....we all have danced that dance at one time or another. :)
Bryan Signorelli
Little Rock Grotto
bsignorelli
Prolific Poster

Return to Equipment Forum