Army/Navy Surplus

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby mgmills » Aug 4, 2006 8:02 pm

Vadosian wrote:In a wet, cold cave, I use my kayak gear which still gives me good range of motion and also seals out the water fairly well. NRS gear is great, although a little pricey.

:exactly: I interchange my kayaking and caving clothing also. If I'm using a "pricey" shirt or pants I throw something cheap on as a top layer to protect it a little from snags. The NRS catalog usually has some good prices on sale stuff (if they have the items in your size)
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Lava » Aug 4, 2006 8:17 pm

graveleye wrote:Of course, if you gotta have polypro, you gotta have it.. but isnt that stuff kind of pricey, or do any of you know a budget place to find polypro clothing?

Bass Pro, REI.... WOO they're high.

I refuse to wear anything but synthetics underground. Even in dry caves cotton gear gets soaked with sweat and makes me cold. I don't understand how people can cave in cotton.
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby rchrds » Aug 9, 2006 7:43 am

nordicjw wrote: It's tough stuff and doesn't retain water. vtarmynavy calls there ecws polyro underwear(army term), military polypro and medium weight polypro.

ECWCS -Extreme Cold Weather Clothing System- consists of the Goretex outer, bear suit furry inside piece, the heavy weight polypro mentioned above and a thin polypro wicking layer.

The heavy weight browns are tough, but they shrink like crazy and get stiff after a while- It's gotta be cold to warrant wearing it- I havent worn it since I moved to the south.

J
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Postby NZcaver » Aug 9, 2006 10:39 pm

Lava wrote:I refuse to wear anything but synthetics underground. Even in dry caves cotton gear gets soaked with sweat and makes me cold. I don't understand how people can cave in cotton.

Although synthetics are considered by many as being "better", it's really a matter of personal preference.

I've caved in synthetics for years, but prior to that I caved in cotton for years - and it never killed me. I chose to "progress" from cotton to synthetics, however plenty of people cave quite happily in a variety of climates wearing cotton.

(After my initial post, I was reminded there are plenty of cotton-clad experienced cavers around. Just thought I should mention this "other side" of the story.) :grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Lava » Aug 10, 2006 2:16 pm

NZcaver wrote:
Lava wrote:I refuse to wear anything but synthetics underground. Even in dry caves cotton gear gets soaked with sweat and makes me cold. I don't understand how people can cave in cotton.

Although synthetics are considered by many as being "better", it's really a matter of personal preference.

I've caved in synthetics for years, but prior to that I caved in cotton for years - and it never killed me. I chose to "progress" from cotton to synthetics, however plenty of people cave quite happily in a variety of climates wearing cotton.

(After my initial post, I was reminded there are plenty of cotton-clad experienced cavers around. Just thought I should mention this "other side" of the story.) :grin:

Yeah, I caved in cotton for awhile too... I think we all did (apologies to those who still do).
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hunter » Aug 10, 2006 5:31 pm

I don't understand how people can cave in cotton.

Hey Lava, if it helps your understanding any I cave in Cotton because I get to frigging hot in a good number of caves but still want to protect my hide. Cheap and extra pockets (although mud does a number on these) are also nice. I own and sometimes use nylon, PVC and a wetsuit but in a lot of the caving I do staying cool is often my concern. In a couple of areas I've stopped wearing coveralls all together because I couldn't stop sweating (Belize comes to mind).

James

P.S. I'm not trying to be negative, just saying why I find cotton nice.
hunter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby JoeyS » Aug 11, 2006 7:24 am

I caved in TAG for a long time using winter weight BDU's which are part cotton, part polyester and never had a problem. Some of my friends still use them. I never had a horrible experience with them; they are very tough and cheap. Usually around 20 bucks for a decent used pair at the army/navy stores. I know I got over 20 trips from one pair and they still look decent. They will eventually fail where the crotch reinforcement is sewn to the pant legs, but that takes a while.
Now I use the Chiliheads leggings (30 bucks) with a long or short sleeve Underarmor-knock-off top, depending on what I'll be doing in the cave. I do miss my pockets though...
JoeyS
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby Lava » Aug 11, 2006 12:00 pm

hunter wrote:
I don't understand how people can cave in cotton.

Hey Lava, if it helps your understanding any I cave in Cotton because I get to frigging hot in a good number of caves but still want to protect my hide. .

Yeah, I could understand caving in cotton if you live in NM. I should amend my previous statements to say that the synthetic outfit I endorse is appropriate for 50-60 degree F semi-wet to wet caving.
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum