maglite

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

maglite

Postby Eve » Jul 16, 2006 8:12 am

I got my gear out of the cryogenic deep-freeze it's been in the other day and found that I could not open it to change the batteries. I used pliers but just scraped off paint. Should I assume the batteries have corroded it shut and the light is a lost cause?

(Yes, the moral of the story is go caving more often!)
Eve
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 50678
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby erebus » Jul 16, 2006 8:26 pm

Why do you keep your gear in a deep freeze?

It's possible that the batteries leaked and corroded the aluminum threads, but there may be other things you can do. If you know anyone with access to a metalworking lathe, they could chuck the end cap in a collet and put a strap wrench on the body. Your problem with the pliers is you can't get a good enough grip. (And that's anodizing, not paint.)

If the maglight is toast (and it's a mini-maglight), I suggest replacing it with a Tasco one-Watt LED light. Similar form, but it burns much longer on a set of batteries, and is comparably bright. BJ's Wholesale has them two for $20.
erebus
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6752

Postby Eve » Jul 16, 2006 10:23 pm

That was a metaphoric deep freeze. As in, not having been used for a while.
Eve
Frequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jul 17, 2006 12:35 am

Since you've scraped off some anodizing anyway, try this.

Tap around the cap end of the maglite with something solid (this may help to loosen the thread). Then use 2 pairs of pliers - or better still, vice grips - with one pair on the cap and the other on the body. If that still doesn't work, or you find the batteries are corroded beyond recognition, it's probably time to retire the flashlight. :wink:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Jul 17, 2006 12:59 am

Careful clamping around the body as it will be easy to squash the tube that forms the body and you might get the cap off but the batteries will be hard to get out. Of course if you can't get the cap off or the batteries out it's broken anyway but...
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby erebus » Jul 17, 2006 5:01 am

I would not use Vise-Grips; the body of the flashlight is thin aluminum, and Vise-Grips can exert enough of a squeeze to crush it. Then the Maglight would definitely be junk.
erebus
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hewhocaves » Jul 17, 2006 7:59 am

although the maglite sounds like it's toast, it might still be worth opening to scrounge for parts. you can always use spare mag-lite parts.
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby Eve » Jul 17, 2006 8:06 am

I don't have ready access to vice grips or a lathe, so I guess I'll try tapping and two pairs of pliers. Thanks for the suggestions.
Eve
Frequent Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Jul 17, 2006 9:00 am

Hi Eve. Welcome back!

In the FAQ section of the Maglite webpage (LINK, second one down) it says that if the tailcap is stuck it is most likely leaky batteries... blah, blah, blah... they will fix or replace it if, IF, they are name brand batteries.

Good luck!
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Eve » Jul 17, 2006 9:19 am

Ha, that's a conundrum. I don't know if they're name-brand, and I can't check without getting it open, at which point I don't need their help ... ! But I'm cheap so they're probably Kroger batteries.
Eve
Frequent Poster

Postby potholer » Jul 17, 2006 12:54 pm

One thing that might be worth trying if nothing else works is briefly pouring some boiling water over the end, (or dunking the end in a pan of boiling water, and then immediately trying to unscrew the end with your grips/pliers - if the outside of the tube is hotter than the 'core' of the plug, it might expand the tube slightly and make it a less-tight fit.

Alternatively/additionally, to avoid crushing the tube, it might be possible to grip it with hands, by wrapping a sheet of rubber around it, or maybe use rubber (or a few rubber bands wrapped around the tube) to increase the grip of grips/pliers without heavy pressure.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby erebus » Jul 17, 2006 1:20 pm

As a variation on potholer's technique, set the light upright on an icecube (to keep the end-cap cold) while heating the body with a hair dryer. (Or freeze the end-cap with your cryogenic liquid of choice.) Do not use a torch or stove burner to apply heat; batteries can explode.

The principle behind heating one part while chilling the other is that metal expands when heated, and a hole in metal expands when the metal is heated, too. It can make a tight fit loose, if the inner part is cooler than the outer one.

You must do your unscrewing while a temperature difference exists. That won't be for very long with aluminum.
erebus
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jul 17, 2006 2:58 pm

erebus wrote:I would not use Vise-Grips; the body of the flashlight is thin aluminum, and Vise-Grips can exert enough of a squeeze to crush it. Then the Maglight would definitely be junk.

Not to split hairs, but the reason I suggested using vice grips is precisely because you can set them to lock at a particular grip size - therefore avoiding over-squeezing and crushing the poor Maglite to death. :cry: You don't have the same luxury with regular pliers, but if that's all you have - and you're careful - they should work OK. The tapping and/or heating/cooling will probably help too.

If the maglight is toast (and it's a mini-maglight), I suggest replacing it with a Tasco one-Watt LED light. Similar form, but it burns much longer on a set of batteries, and is comparably bright. BJ's Wholesale has them two for $20.

I'm not familiar with that Tasco light, and a quick web search didn't turn up anything either. :? Could you post a link?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby erebus » Jul 17, 2006 6:16 pm

NZcaver wrote:Not to split hairs, but the reason I suggested using vice grips is precisely because you can set them to lock at a particular grip size - therefore avoiding over-squeezing and crushing the poor Maglite to death. :cry: You don't have the same luxury with regular pliers, but if that's all you have - and you're careful - they should work OK. The tapping and/or heating/cooling will probably help too.

My experience with V-Gs is that if you need to use them on something because regular pliers don't grip hard enough, and the something is crushable, V-Gs will crush it. They have to squeeze harder in order to grip better. Strap wrenches are a much better option.

I'm not familiar with that Tasco light, and a quick web search didn't turn up anything either. :? Could you post a link?

I wish I could. BJ's doesn't seem to have an online catalog, and nobody else seems to carry it. I did a Web hunt for it a while back and came up empty, but then BJ's started selling it again. It really is a good light, though.
erebus
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Jul 17, 2006 7:40 pm

erebus wrote:I wish I could. BJ's doesn't seem to have an online catalog, and nobody else seems to carry it. I did a Web hunt for it a while back and came up empty, but then BJ's started selling it again. It really is a good light, though.

Are these them?
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Next

Return to Equipment Forum