rechargable batteries?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: rechargable batteries?

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 17, 2010 11:23 pm

I think he meant that they still perform well when cold, not better when cold.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby jsniffin » Dec 18, 2010 12:54 am

yes. batteries don't like cold very much. He meant they still preform.

Why did people always tell me to put batteries in the freezer to make them last longer..?
mmmm.... MUD....

Looking for FENIX LIGHTS?? www.FENIXGEAR.com 5% Coupon Code: GOSAVE0905
(No I don't work for FENIX I just really like their products)
jsniffin
Frequent Poster

Name: James Sniffin

Postby Jon » Dec 18, 2010 1:31 am

The freezer isn't always the best bet. Some types freezing is ok others it's bad for them. Lith Ion according to what came with mine like to be stored for long times at about 1/2 charge in the fridge but freezing them might damage them. Chemical reactions almost always happen faster at higher temps (there are limits however). Batteries create electricity from a chemical reaction. Often by storing at a lower temperature a disposable battery will have a longer shelf life and rechargeable a longer life. There always seems to be a bit of the reaction going on and you can slow it down by cooling it down. Before freezing I would check with the manufacturer, especially if it's a pricy rechargeable . I would say that in most instances the fridge would be ok and not much different in real life circumstances than if the freezer is a little better. Keep in mind if it's going in out of the freezer be sure and allow time to thaw before using as a heavy draw on a frozen battery might cause damage.
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Postby Tenzin Beck » Dec 18, 2010 4:51 pm

Chads93GT wrote:I think he meant that they still perform well when cold, not better when cold.
I meant preform better when cold than other NiMH cells. I know they won't preform as well when cold as when warm.
Darkness is impossible to remember. Consequently, cavers desire to return to the unseen depths where they have just been.
Darkness never satisfies. Darkness cannot satisfy. Especially if it takes something away, which it almost invariably does.
Tenzin Beck
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sandia Grotto

Postby Marduke » Dec 18, 2010 11:14 pm

Yes, I meant they perform better in cold vs traditional NiMH cells.

jsniffin wrote:Why did people always tell me to put batteries in the freezer to make them last longer..?

In an ideal world, batteries would be STORED at around 40F for maximum charge retention (minimum self discharge), and USED at about 100F for optimal performance.

Freezing is BAD, as the ice crystals formed can damage the internal structure of the cells. Refrigerated storage can also be bad if they are allowed to form condensation which can corrode the cell case.
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby jsniffin » Dec 20, 2010 3:45 pm

Marduke wrote:In an ideal world, batteries would be STORED at around 40F for maximum charge retention (minimum self discharge), and USED at about 100F for optimal performance.

Charge and Refrigerate at 40 degrees until needed?
mmmm.... MUD....

Looking for FENIX LIGHTS?? www.FENIXGEAR.com 5% Coupon Code: GOSAVE0905
(No I don't work for FENIX I just really like their products)
jsniffin
Frequent Poster

Name: James Sniffin

Postby Marduke » Dec 20, 2010 6:55 pm

jsniffin wrote:
Marduke wrote:In an ideal world, batteries would be STORED at around 40F for maximum charge retention (minimum self discharge), and USED at about 100F for optimal performance.

Charge and Refrigerate at 40 degrees until needed?

That depends on the chemistry. Li-Ion cells need discharged to ~40%, NiMH to ~1V and cycled monthly.

This is all from memory, so +\- a few % either way...
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum