suggestions for a camera box

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

suggestions for a camera box

Postby graveleye » Jun 8, 2006 8:40 am

I have a little Canon digital camera that I want to tote with me while caving. Any suggestions on a small, waterproof, padded case for a camera?

Oh, and inexpensive too :-)
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Scott McCrea » Jun 8, 2006 10:41 am

I have always used a small Tupperware, Rubbermade, etc container. There are hundreds of different sizes, so you can usually find one that fits pretty well. And they only cost a couple bucks. While not completely waterproof, they do a good job of protecting from bumps and keep most of the water out. A good, waterproof pack will also help. :wink:

Of course, Pelican or Otter Boxes are waterproof, padded and rugged, but not small (IMHO) and certainly not inexpensive.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Re: suggesstions for a camera box

Postby ethan » Jun 8, 2006 11:48 am

graveleye wrote:I have a little Canon digital camera that I want to tote with me while caving. Any suggestions on a small, waterproof, padded case for a camera?

Oh, and inexpensive too :-)

I'm a fan of "Otter Boxes". They're waterproof (though you have to be careful about getting dirt in the seal), tough, somewhat padded, and fairly inexpensive (~$15-25).
http://www.otterbox.com/products/otterbox/

I've used the 8000 to hold my Canon S-series point-and-shoots for a few years now. My first one broke after being dropped 25 feet (through some of the entrance drops in Great X) and landing its corner. The camera was fine, but the box's lanyard loop cracked off and compromised the sealing surface. I called Otter and they replaced it free (and let me keep he old one). The replacement is going strong (or would be if I hadn't misplaced it this spring).

Ethan
ethan
Occasional Poster

Name: Ethan Brodsky
NSS #: 53507
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WSS

Postby graveleye » Jun 8, 2006 11:56 am

Hey that otterbox looks pretty good. Thats fairly pricey compared to tupperware, but not out of my budget. Thanks for the tips folks!
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby ethan » Jun 8, 2006 12:04 pm

graveleye wrote:Hey that otterbox looks pretty good. Thats fairly pricey compared to tupperware, but not out of my budget. Thanks for the tips folks!

It is a bit steep, but you can't jump on a tuperware box. The cases are handy - I used mine many dozens of times (caving, boating, camping in the rain, etc...). I'd usually put some folded paper towels in the bottom to improve the padding and to allow me to dry off the camera before putting it away.

Another option is Nalgene bottles - I know some folks who use them for dry boxes,

Ethan
ethan
Occasional Poster

Name: Ethan Brodsky
NSS #: 53507
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WSS

Postby Andy Shoun » Jun 8, 2006 12:56 pm

I use a pelican case that is a snug fit for my Olympus point and shoot camera. This case is so durable I don't have to keep it in my pack. This makes the camera more available and I get to take more pictures. Which is the point of taking a camera along anyway. Twice I have kept it in a pocket while caving a shredded the outside of the pocket on rocks and stones, but the case looks great. I also use the case when rafting or canoeing and it has taken some serious abuse (rapids, rocks and chundering...). I like the clear lid and being able to see what is in the case. My case was only $10 and well worth it. Good luck!
-Not all who wander are lost.
Andy Shoun
Frequent Poster

Postby graveleye » Jun 9, 2006 2:21 pm

awesome tips folks! Thanks!
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jun 9, 2006 5:20 pm

Andy Shoun wrote:I use a pelican case that is a snug fit for my Olympus point and shoot camera. This case is so durable I don't have to keep it in my pack. This makes the camera more available and I get to take more pictures. Which is the point of taking a camera along anyway. Twice I have kept it in a pocket while caving a shredded the outside of the pocket on rocks and stones, but the case looks great. I also use the case when rafting or canoeing and it has taken some serious abuse (rapids, rocks and chundering...). I like the clear lid and being able to see what is in the case. My case was only $10 and well worth it. Good luck!

I agree with Pelican cases as well.. .(haven't seen the Otter Box) as I've a friend who has taken his cameras (video and stills) caving with the pelicans and they've been banged around quite a bit but the stuff inside survived. It's nicely water-proof.

Not wanting to spend a lot of money on a good durable water-proof case means you've got lots of money to spend on a new camera eh? Something to think about... just like buying a good, high end helmet for your head. It's equal to the value you place on it.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby mabercrombie » Oct 26, 2006 10:05 am

something else to remember about pelican cases is that they guarantee the case but not what is in the case........
I use a pelican case for my camera, i wrap it in a bandanna and it seems to be holding up pretty well.
mabercrombie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: marty abercrombie
NSS #: 51557
Primary Grotto Affiliation: chattanooga

Postby RadonJunkie » Oct 26, 2006 12:17 pm

I bought a pelican case from On Rope 1 at TAG. I like it a lot. I think it was $12.00.
RadonJunkie
Infrequent Poster

Postby JoeyS » Oct 26, 2006 1:02 pm

RadonJunkie wrote:I bought a pelican case from On Rope 1 at TAG. I like it a lot. I think it was $12.00.

I got the same one from them at TAG too. Mine is a very pretty yellow. The liner is a soft rubber and it fits my sony cybershot perfectly. I was using a tupperware container but on a truly wet cave trip, my cameral got a bit wet, and had it not been in a ziplock bag too, it would be trash now. 12 or 15 bucks is cheap insurance.

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby caverdoc » Oct 29, 2006 8:40 pm

I have had good luck schlepping my little Canon A520 Powershot in a small Pelican box I picked up on Vancouver Island this summer. Before that I wrapped it in a washcloth (handy for wiping mud off your hands/camera) in an otter box with the built-in padding.
I'm looking for a Pentax Optio now that my caving buddies have shown me the light (so to speak).
Dr Jay
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby Teresa » Oct 30, 2006 10:29 am

If you're using Tupperware, Rubbermaid, etc., use a ROUND container which burps. The old style, pastel translucent and softer stuff is a whole lot more waterproof than the more chic, opaque less flexible plastic stuff. It actually was a Tupperware dealer from my mom's generation who put me on to the fact that only ROUND Tupperware is guaranteed waterproof as long as the lid is not dislodged. Corners don't seal.

All that being said, I've got a very small Pelican case, with the camera in double ziplocks inside. Small enough to toss in the pack if need be, and large enough to carry spare camera batteries.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Oct 30, 2006 11:10 am

For many years some of us used the smaller ammo cans fastened to the back of a web belt with bolts. The web belt is easily and quickly removed, the ammo case is waterproof and also very strong. Padding inside protects the camera gear. The cans are almost indestructible in a cave environment.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby cavernelson » Nov 3, 2006 2:28 pm

My friend has Canon digital camera and has a watertight case mde by canon. It allows him to use all the little buttons on the camera through the case. It is waterproof up to 500 ft (I think thats what he said).

[url]http://www.helixcamera.com/fs-canon-ps-cases.html

Has several cases made for specific cameras. Perfect for caving, just a little pricey.[/url]
cavernelson
Infrequent Poster

Next

Return to Equipment Forum