Petzl "Elios" Helmet

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Petzl "Elios" Helmet

Postby Caver1402 » Sep 22, 2005 4:40 pm

Hello! I am curious to see if anyone owns the Petzl "Elios" Helmet and if they like it. I am in the market for a new helmet, but I have to keep it reasonable. I like the description of this helmet, but thought I'd see what others' opinions were since I've never had the opportunity to actually see one and try it on. Thanks!
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Laura J. Lexander
NSS #: 52727
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Windy City Grotto

Elios

Postby cvr602 » Sep 22, 2005 5:10 pm

I have one, and the all of the plastic screws that hold the foam stuff in are cracked all the way down to the brim. I stopped using it after 6 months, because I dont feel safe with it on. I own 2 Ecrin Rocs, and would recommend those, though. Comfort with the Elios is also a problem, since the foam doesnt allow heat to escape well.
Walking into Virgin Borehole in a cave near you!!!
cvr602
Frequent Poster

Postby Caver1402 » Sep 22, 2005 6:24 pm

Ah, thank you for the advice! I might have to re-think my choice. I do know several folks who have the Ecrin Roc. :D

What about the Crag Helmet or the PMI "Alto" Helmet? And I've heard that Joe Brown's are a little on the heavy side ... does anyone know how much they weigh?

Thanks again.
Laura J. Lexander
NSS #52727 / Affiliated with the WCG, NNG, and IKC
CRF Eastern Operations Personnel Officer
http://lexanderfamily.com - Updated 07/28/09
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Helmet

Postby speloman » Sep 22, 2005 6:29 pm

I have to agree. I own a Ecrin Roc and I love it. if I had to get another helmet I would get the same type. I am one who gets attached to things. just ask my wife I have bunch of stuff (She thinks it is junk :roll: ) but to me they are treasures and memories :wink: . I haven't tried other helemets in a caving situation. But tried them on for size and I realy like the ecrin rock. Hope this helps
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Postby hank moon » Sep 22, 2005 8:23 pm

Caver1402 wrote:What about the Crag Helmet or the PMI "Alto" Helmet? And I've heard that Joe Brown's are a little on the heavy side ... does anyone know how much they weigh?

Main thing when selecting a helmet: get one that fits. Do not buy one w/o trying it on. Heads and helmet shapes are all different and "one size fits all" doesn't apply. Put the helmet on in the shop and adjust it to fit your head. Then, do two simple tests: 1) buckle the chinstrap, put the heel of your hand on the brim directly above your nose and push the helmet up and back. It should not *easily* slide back to expose your forehead. If it does, the helmet probably doesn't fit and you should try another; 2) Unbuckle the chinstrap and shake your head from side to side (moving ears toward shoulders), and back/forth, as in saying "yes", and might as well say "no" while you're at it. It's the yes/no/maybe shake test! Uh, anyway, the helmet should not shift around loosely on your head during the shake test; if it does, find one that fits better. There are several other fit issues that might present while you are adjusting it (Y-strap of cradle too tight under ears, chinstrap position unconfortable on throat). Make sure these can be solved with the adjustment system.

Another good helmet to check out: Edelrid ultralight. Inexpensive and fairly narrow profile - great for those really tight spots. The Joe Brown helmet is heavy and unventilated, so HOT. Kinda like wearing a motorcycle helmet.

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Sep 22, 2005 10:01 pm

I heard a rumor that the Elios isn't so good at handling the hard knocks of caving. From what cvr602 said, I don't think I'd want to own one - plus they look a bit weird :roll: (in my humble opinion).

I'm another fan of the Ecrin Roc. It's nice, comfortable and reliable, and even though it's up near the high end of the price range the extra cost is probably worth it. My own one doesn't get much use - it's a backup helmet for those rare occasions that I carbide cave. (It's actually part of the Petzl Explorer setup, which includes the helmet, Aceto ceiling burner, and Fixo Duo electric.)

My main helmet is the HB Olympus. It's a little lighter than the Ecrin Roc, and doesn't adjust to different heads quite as conveniently. But it's still comfortable and reliable, even after lots of caving abuse and my headlamp mounting modifications. I paid about $50 retail for mine five years ago, from Eastern Mountain Sports. When they put that helmet on clearance a couple of years ago, I picked up a spare and a few for the grotto at about $20 each. You might still find some around at a good price if you look.

Like Hank says, try before you buy. :caver:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Caver1402 » Sep 23, 2005 11:39 am

I wish I could go try on different helmets, but there are no caving stores near me. At least IMO will allow returns if something doesn't fit! Thanks for the info on the Edelrid Ultralight and the HB Olympus. I will have to check into those further as well as keeping the Ecrin Roc in mind since so many people seem to like that one! Thanks again. :D
Laura J. Lexander
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hank moon » Sep 23, 2005 3:30 pm

I wish I could go try on different helmets, but there are no caving stores near me.

There are a couple of REI stores in the Chicago area...should have climbing helmets. You can try them on there, then buy from IMO :twisted:

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Caver1402 » Sep 23, 2005 3:54 pm

That's a good idea ... I think there is at least one store left nearby. I wonder if that store has helmets ... there's a Dick's Sporting Goods even closer to me ... hm. But then yes, I must support caving companies with my actual purchase!
Laura J. Lexander
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Caver1402 » Sep 24, 2005 9:15 am

I can't remember which brand, but a friend said one kind of helmet sits really high on your head, but is still a great helmet. It might have been either the Ecrin Roc or the Edelrid Ultralight. Does anyone know?
Laura J. Lexander
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Edelrid

Postby Realms » Sep 24, 2005 1:12 pm

The Edelrid sits op a little taller than most. But yeah it is an exceptional helmet. I cave with an Ecrin Roc but given the option the Edelrid and Ecrin Roc would run a close race for me. I have no desire to use the Elios style helmets. I'm sure they are fine in most circumstanses but for the most part they remind me of a helmet you would use for basic bluff rapelling or something light duty. I hit my head and I hit it hard. I need something that will hold up. The Elios looks to have to many "open" areas to it. Again this is probably just a missconception by me but if i get a deep gut feeling about something then I usally go on it. Im sure thought that there are several happy Elios customers out there so lets see what they say :-)
never stop imagining what could someday come to pass...
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Sep 25, 2005 5:43 pm

Deciding it was time to finally archive my old faithful (heavy, heavy duty, poorly fitting) Joe Brown helmet after a couple decades, this weekend at VAR I checked out and tried on every helmet IMO stocks and even some that cavers were wearing. Nearly everyone who came into IMO's tent while I was modeling and inspecting helmets gave me advice, promoted one make or another, and pointed out deficiencies in others.

I found that the style of chin strap-suspension (or non-suspension) set up and the fit were the two things that really differentiated the helmets. Check out the suspension-chinstrap style, features, and workmanship.

The fit and the comfort of the fit (depending on where the helmet set on my head, the finish on the headband, and the style of the suspension) varied greatly between helmets, and what was comfortable on someone else's head wasn't on mine. Perhaps my head doesn't have an off-the-rack, normal shape. :roll: But perhaps yours doesn't either!

Normally I'd say that color is the first factor in choosing anything. I really wanted that turquoise Edelrid Ultralight, and tried ever so hard to make it work, even thinking how I could modify the headband! And that black "Starship Troopers" helmet looked very cutting edge indeed.

However, wisdom overtook me, and I finally decided on the helmet that was the most comfortable; had a headband that touched my head all the way all around (some had gaps over a finger wide on either side between my head and the headband, even when the helmet was fitting snugly!); and that had the least amount of movement on my head when the chin strap was adjusted properly, as Hank advised.

So my advice, Caver 1402, is: Don't take our advice on helmets. Just take our advice of trying them all on, finding the correct fit, and not hesitating to spend money on a quality helmet -- your head is worth it. :waving:

Cheryl
(New owner of a red junior size Edelrid Ultralight -- yet I sure don't have a small hat size! The helmet is the same sizeas the regular Ultralight, but the suspension has a different construction and ride. )
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Caver1402 » Sep 25, 2005 8:05 pm

Thanks again for all the advice ... perhaps REI or Dicks Sporting Goods will have something I can try on. I wish I was going to a caving event soon, but alas ... I have no idea when I'll be going to another one. It might be Spring MVOR and I'm not waiting that long to buy a new helmet! I'm trying to decide b/w the Ecrin Roc and the Edelrid Ultralight ... perhaps I could purchase both and choose which one feels better ... I don't know that IMO would like that though. :shock:
Laura J. Lexander
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Helmet

Postby speloman » Sep 26, 2005 9:12 pm

Maybe you can work somthing out with IMO. They are great in helping people out. The worst they can say is NO but it is worth a try. If they say no I can see why. Because if they do it for one others are going to want to do that to (If they can afford it). It would be a pain if they did it for others and now have a bunch of return Items coming back to them. They want to sell stuff not get it back. But hey Give them a e-mail or a call and see what you can work out. Good luck.
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Postby jmo » Sep 26, 2005 9:30 pm

I use the Petzl Elios Helmet and I think it ROCKS! (No pun intended)

I have tried the Ecrin Rocs - they are built like tanks, but very heavy and they didn’t seem to "breath" well.

The main things I like about the Elios is that is is really nice and light. After hours of caving my neck sometimes feels a little worn out so I like the lightest weight helmet I can find.

I have never had a problem with breathability with it.

The only downside of helmet is it like a bicycle helmet in the sense that; if you fall really hard on it - you should replace it. I have taken some nice hard hits with it on and my head was still feeling great afterward.

For some reason when I was wearing the Ercin Roc if felt like I was wearing a giant weighted mushroom hat on. Haha

So to conclude the differences that I noticed the
Ecrin Roc -
PROS
BEST protection

CONS
Top Heavy
Awkward fit

Elios - PROS
Not as good protection as the Ecrin Roc But still very good.
Very light
Breath ability
Affordable

CONS -
Needs to be replaced after super super hard falls

Like everyone else said - try as many on as you can at your local climbing/outdoors store and see which one would fit your needs best.

Here's a pic of the Elios "in action" :D

Life is just one good thing after another
NSS 56887
jmo
Frequent Poster

Next

Return to Equipment Forum