Best Boots

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Best Boots

Postby Otany » Jan 4, 2019 2:52 am

Ok this isn't a new thread for specific boots but what are the best out there.

I am looking for the best boots possible that are waterproof and around the $200 mark. I like trying different brands and models to see what's best.

I am currently wearing 5.11 Taclite waterproof, its only been 7-8 months and they are starting to fall apart and didn't seem to be "waterproof" very long.
Before that I had the Converse (now Reebok) rapid response. They were heavy and inside came apart quick, but weren't bad.
The best pair of boots I had were Blackhawk warriors but at the time were around $300 :s
I was turned off of Magnums when I tried a steel toe boot and the first night I wore them the leather on the toe started to wear and made for an unprofessional look. But maybe that's just the steel toe ones.

So I am open to suggestions on some great duty boots (8" preferred but not a must) and feel free to list some pros and cons for your choices. I am not a fan of Original SWAT.
Otany
New Poster

Re: Best Boots

Postby KsCaver22 » Jan 4, 2019 6:13 pm

My opinion:

Forget waterproof. There is no such thing as waterproof cave boots. No matter what you get, they will get water in them.

I also think high-priced boots don't work all that much better than Walmart cheapos. You are not going to get five times as much use from $300 boots as from $60.

With that in mind, the boots I use are from Walmart. They are called "Big Timber II". Usually about $60 or $70 a pair. Steel toed, which is not important for a cave. They fit, they last me a year or more, and they are readily available.

The main problem I have with them is after a while - many cycles of getting soaked and then drying out - they get so stiff you have to soak them just to get them on.

Bill Gee
KsCaver22
Occasional Poster

Name: Bill Gee
NSS #: 49528
Primary Grotto Affiliation: KCAG

Postby bobby49 » Jan 4, 2019 7:58 pm

"Forget waterproof. There is no such thing as waterproof cave boots. No matter what you get, they will get water in them."

When the U.S. Army was sending troops to fight in the jungles and rice paddies of Vietnam, they equipped them with Jungle Boots which had drain holes near the bottom so that the water could drain _out_.

It depends on what kind of caves you visit. Personally, I use low-cut rigid sole boots, something a little stiffer than my summer hiking boots.
bobby49
Prolific Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jan 5, 2019 8:22 am

"Unprofessional look"??

It's a hole in the ground, not a fashion show. Grow up, get a twenty dollar pair of wellies. Carrion.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby gindling » Jan 5, 2019 9:56 pm

Now, now. No need to call him rotting meat.
gindling
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 53629
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Rocky Mountain Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 6, 2019 3:26 pm

To keep your boot toes together better, smear some Shoe Goo on them. Some people do that right away with their new boots.

Carry on.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Bronto » Feb 16, 2019 12:20 am

Seam Grip works pretty fine on the seams and toe. Also caving pants. The butt seam & knee pad pockets seams get rubbed off in a jiffy.
Bronto
New Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Independent

Postby BrianFrank » Feb 18, 2019 11:27 pm

After trial and error with about a dozen different shoes/boots, my son and I use these boots (links below) with neoprene socks in caves that may have water or mud. Traction is great and if you do get into water higher then the boots they are easy to pull off and dump the water. We don't care if our feet get wet though because the neoprene socks keep our feet warm.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/servus-mens-ct-economy-waterproof-rubber-boots-16sbhmsrvsbtxxxxxfbo/16sbhmsrvsbtxxxxxfbo?camp=CSE:DSG_92700041129714300_lia_pla-343746148035&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3oWJyvjG4AIV0lqGCh0vtgclEAkYAyABEgLRS_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.innermountainoutfitters.com/seirus-neosock-neoprene-socks/
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby William Bagwell » Feb 19, 2019 10:54 am

Wow, cheaper than Walmart.

Used similar boots in Gross Skeleton back in the 80s. Do not make the same mistake I made and try to duct tape the tops to keep water out. Muscles swell with exercise and the tape was soon so tight it hurt! Had the tape off before we even got to the entrance.
William Bagwell
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 24064
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Inactive. DCG mid 1980s

Postby ohiocaver » Jan 20, 2020 8:40 am

Wellies from Tractor Supply (TSC). About $30. Get the black ones with the gray soles (women's boots are blue). They are surprisingly skid-proof - made for walking in barns with slick manure - and as waterproof as you'll want in water less than 10" deep. Otherwise, wade through the water and when you get to dry land, bend your leg and let the water run out.
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Return to Equipment Forum