beginner gear?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

beginner gear?

Postby newcaver315 » May 4, 2018 11:01 am

i got nothin whats a good start up for getting into ascending and descending just the basics for now which harnesses are necessary and which are more comfort and ease? what should i grab to get started with small climbs before i go zipping on ropes in the caves lol. any suggestions like to keep the cost down but just how possible is that really?
newcaver315
Infrequent Poster

Name: Bryon

Re: beginner gear?

Postby Steve_S » May 4, 2018 6:04 pm

Honestly, your best bet in my opinion is to get a frog system from On Rope 1 or another reputable dealer. Vertical gear is not something to get cheap on because your life depends on it working properly. And DO NOT buy any cheap chinese made gear unless its made for a good company like Petzl or Black Diamond that has strict quality controls. Trust me, you don't want your gear failing in the middle of a 400 foot rope. Also I definitely recommend buying new. I'm sure you can find brand name used stuff, but the person selling it replaced it for a reason. Good luck and safe caving!
Steve_S
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 61110
Primary Grotto Affiliation: central connecticut grotto

Postby newcaver315 » May 5, 2018 8:44 am

fyi im very open to criticism sarcasm and good advice lol thanks for the reply much appreciated :kewl:
newcaver315
Infrequent Poster

Name: Bryon

Postby trogman » May 8, 2018 10:59 am

Hi New Caver:
Those of us on CaveChat could give you all sorts of advice, most of it pretty good. However, there is nothing that takes the place of hooking up with a local grotto. They can take you to a local practice area (usually a small cliff) and let you borrow some of their gear. That way you can see what works best for you, and get firsthand advice on proper usage.

Someone on here recommended getting a Frog system. That may work for you, but there are other options as well (Mitchel, Texas, Ropewalker). Which one you use depends on a number of factors- the type of pits you will be using it in, your body type, and your own personal preference. That's why it is best, if at all possible, to try out some of these methods for yourself.

I personally have a Ropewalker, but it can be easily converted into a Texas for use in smaller pits. I have pretty much always used a rock climbing harness, my favorite being a Petzl Calidris. The Calidris is the most comfortable harness I've ever had. The only drawbacks to using a rock climbing harness are 1) Excessive gear loops, which get hung in tight spots, and 2) they are not really built for the wear and tear of caving, so they tend to wear out faster. Also, a standard rock climbing harness is not designed to be used with a Frog system, which requires a lower attachment point.

About buying used gear- If you know and trust the person you are buying it from, such as a fellow caver, then it would probably be OK. There are a lot of cavers who have become "armchair" cavers, but they may still have some perfectly usable gear that they will let you buy for a good price. Or sometimes newbies buy a bunch of vertical gear and use it maybe once or twice, only to never use it again. But you have to weigh out the pros and cons and make a wise decision. For the most part, I would agree that buying used gear is a bad idea, especially from someplace like Ebay or Craigslist.

Good luck getting geared up!

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby CaverScott » May 8, 2018 11:09 am

Trogman sez it very good. :cave softly:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby CaverScott » May 8, 2018 11:13 am

I would urge you to attend a meeting with these folks.

http://suoc.syr.edu/

:bat sticker:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Return to Equipment Forum