Head torch alternative

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Head torch alternative

Postby caver247 » Mar 19, 2018 10:42 am

I've been searching for a new alternative for my head torch. I'm over 6ft tall and I'm tired of my beam of light not illuminating my feet!

I've been looking into alternatives to head torches such as the OliLight and also more powerful head torches to allow me for a wider field of vision: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/head-torches-group-test/0011500/.

Does any one have any recommendations? Or experience as a taller adventurer?
Last edited by caver247 on Feb 27, 2019 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
caver247
New Poster

Re: Head torch alternative

Postby captnemo » Mar 22, 2018 1:11 pm

One thing I'd consider when choosing a new light is your fellow cavers- that Olilight looks like a nightmare- notice the hot-spot in all the pictures, that's what your companions will be looking at.
I picked up some of the cheap lights on amazon that use the rechargeable lithium 18650 batteries, they're nice and bright, good for taking pictures in larger spaces but turned out not very practical for most caving as they are too bright and can be blinding for both yourself and whoever you're caving with.So one feature I'd look for would be adjustable brightness. My old black diamond headlamp is pretty good in that department.
captnemo
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 44985
Primary Grotto Affiliation: mother lode grotto

Postby Steve_S » Mar 22, 2018 4:36 pm

I'm a big fan of the Princeton Tec Apex. It has multiple beam settings, is waterproof, runs on AA batteries and has a lifetime warranty. AND they're relatively cheap compared to a lot of other headlamps.
Steve_S
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 61110
Primary Grotto Affiliation: central connecticut grotto

Postby ohiocaver » Mar 25, 2018 12:08 pm

I like the Princeton Tec (and anything that uses AAs that can be moved from camera to headlamp to handheld).
Consider also the Zebra light. More expensive...but several beam intensities and is easily moved down toward your feet when you're on uneven floor or up high when you're checking out a domepit.
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Postby tncaver » Mar 26, 2018 3:28 pm

ohiocaver wrote:I like the Princeton Tec (and anything that uses AAs that can be moved from camera to headlamp to handheld).
Consider also the Zebra light. More expensive...but several beam intensities and is easily moved down toward your feet when you're on uneven floor or up high when you're checking out a domepit.

A friend of mine has a Zebra wide angle light. It is very small, very bright, illuminates feet and a reasonable distance ahead
and runs on the 18650 rechargeable batteries which are compact enough to carry a couple spares if necessary. There is also
a Zebra for distance illumination. He has both mounted on his helmet. He says it is also good for cave photography. I'm considering buying the wide angle version to augment my Princeton Tec Apex.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ohiocaver » Mar 27, 2018 8:59 am

My setup exactly, tncaver. I think you'll like it.
Buy the double-battery charger and have a couple of extra batteries on each trip (on high beam, they last about 2-3 hours each).
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Postby bobby49 » Nov 14, 2018 5:29 pm

For a headlamp, I find the Zebralight items to be perfect. Although they offer headlamps that run on smaller batteries, I find the 18650 batteries to be great. As was mentioned, there is the ability to press the button and step through the various intensity levels, so that allows for optimized battery usage. I generally carry a "straight" flashlight in my pocket that also uses 18650, so I can carry one or two spare batteries to cover either light. Another thing about Zebralight is that they offer different models for different light patterns and for different light temperatures. As an example, I always want my headlamp with a flood pattern, but I want the flashlight to have a spot pattern. Plus, I found one flashlight with a focusable beam, so it goes from flood to spot.
bobby49
Prolific Poster

Return to Equipment Forum