Anyone used the Black Diamond Vectra IQ headlampunderground?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Anyone used the Black Diamond Vectra IQ headlampunderground?

Postby alexz » May 15, 2006 5:07 pm

Hello all.

I did some brief research on headlamps before ordering this one from IMO. It seemed to be a good balance of effectiveness and cost. I was surprised to see how small it was. I know that small doesn't necessarily mean weak, but I'm a bit skeptical. I received the lamp while at work and during lunch I took it into our windowless server room. It seemed to be pretty bright, but that's a pretty small room (14'X14') with white/beige walls.

How has it served you underground? Well? Medocre? Poorly? Were you able to see pretties that were far away? Could you use the LEDs (any setting) while walking/travelling and then switch to the Xenon when you wanted to see far across a large room? Down a pit?

I'm planning on this being a 'universal' headlamp for a lot of other uses: camping, hiking, backpacking, maybe night-time bike riding. It'll also go in my dry bag on kayaking trips - you never know when somebody's gonna get hurt or when you might break a boat and have a long hike out of a remote gorge into the dark hours. Lightweight is a must - kayaks filled with extra clothes, rescue gear and first aid are already heavy to begin with.

I'm planning on taking it into my basement when day light is no longer coming in through the windows. But I'd appreciate your feedback too!

Thanks!

AZ

PS, yes, I have read the reviews on flashlightreviews.com :-)
alexz
Infrequent Poster

Re: Anyone used the Black Diamond Vectra IQ headlampundergro

Postby TMorita » Dec 9, 2006 11:55 pm

alexz wrote:...
How has it served you underground? Well? Medocre? Poorly? Were you able to see pretties that were far away? Could you use the LEDs (any setting) while walking/travelling and then switch to the Xenon when you wanted to see far across a large room? Down a pit?
Thanks!

AZ

PS, yes, I have read the reviews on flashlightreviews.com :-)

I have two Zenix IQs.

The Zenix IQs don't use a Xenon bulb - it's all LEDs.

I didn't really like the beam of the stock ZIQ. It's very ringy, and the reason it's ringy is they use a batwing emitter with a collimator which apparently isn't designed for it. I wound up modding my ZIQs with a standard Lambertian LED with a cutdown IMS 17 reflector, and now the beam is much better - it has a distinct spot with lots of sidespill.

Toshi
TMorita
Infrequent Poster

I have a vecra IQ

Postby ireedz » Jan 3, 2007 10:34 pm

I have used my Vecra IQ underground a lot. I'm fairly pleased with it. It has never let me down. The construction is adequate. I love the battery meter. The switch on the bottom of the light is a problem for some people while wearing gloves. I have not had any problems with that. It may just take a little getting used to. The Xenon bulb is bright and warm of course, but it wipes the batteries quickly. The LEDS are OK, but I don't think the reflector functions efficiently. It doesn't cut through the humidity well and gives a foggy light. The LEDs are offset to the top. I would prefer them being set two to each side. I have the Gemini which offsets the LEDs in that manner. The Gemini is no longer made. I just got ICON's in and like them much more.
ireedz
ireedz
Infrequent Poster

Return to Equipment Forum