ICON Headlamp Issue

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ICON Headlamp Issue

Postby buddyh » Nov 21, 2016 10:06 pm

I have several Black Diamond ICON headlamps that are having a failure of the cable sheath on the inside of the coil. The inside of the loops are cracking and exposing the wires inside. My question is, Has anyone else seen this. Black Diamond claims to never have seen this issue previously. If anyone has any of these ICON headlamps that have cracking cable sheaths let me know. To check, straighten out the coil and look at the inside of the coil. The cracks should run diagonally. Zoom in on the image to see the the damage. I have added pointers to the damaged area. Thanks in advanced.
[text-url=]http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/headlamps-and-lanterns/icon-headlamp-BD620617ALUMALL1.html[/text-url]

buddyh
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 44353
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Boy Scouts Baltimore Area Council

Re: ICON Headlamp Issue

Postby Billy » Nov 22, 2016 7:02 pm

I have a couple of Black Diamond Icon and Spot lamps, and while I have not had that issue, I have to say that while I am impressed with their quality of other gear, their headlamps, in a word, suck. They've all crapped out on me, and not even under duress. I've just will not buy them anymore.

That said, I would suggest for a fix "liquid electrical tape". Great stuff for that situation. Suggest you try that. Good luck!
Billy
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 53221
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Near Normal

Re: ICON Headlamp Issue

Postby buddyh » Nov 23, 2016 7:37 pm

I have a warranty claim with BD as they have a three year warranty. Till I get replacements, I have wrapped them with self vulcanizing tape.
buddyh
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 44353
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Boy Scouts Baltimore Area Council

Return to Equipment Forum