Light recommendation: Cave excavation + Cave Diving

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Light recommendation: Cave excavation + Cave Diving

Postby Antillothrix » Sep 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, but I've been caving on and off for several years, and a cave diver for a little more than a year. I am also a primate paleontology doctoral student and researcher working mostly on extinct Caribbean primates (almost exclusively found in caves). I've only worked sites underwater up until now, but I am undergoing vertical training to access some dry sites and hard-to-reach submerged sites to look for primate fossils in the Caribbean and Madagascar.

On my most recent research trip to the Dominican Republic I found that, as expected, A LOT of light helps A LOT when searching for small remains often stained and matching the color of the sediments they rest in. That was underwater, where light is particularly important and inefficient. Now, I am looking to finish my dry-cave kit with a powerful headlamp that can do triple-duty as a caving light, a flood for excavating dry sites, and a supplement to my diving lights during underwater search and excavation. This means a light with flood and spot settings, long life, and submersible to >40-50m

I consider myself knowledgable about cave diving equipment, but I could use some help finding a headlamp that can crossover from dry to submerged. Cost is a concern, but sometimes high-quality equipment manufacturers offer support for research by way of discounts, so it may still be worthwhile to look into some of pricier options if they fit the bill. Thanks very much for any tips.

Cheers,
Zach

:bat2:
About paleontology in flooded Caribbean caves: http://www.zklukkert.com/News_%26_Views/Entries/2013/3/25_Caribbean_PaleoPrimatology.html
About the new primate fossils in Madagascar: http://www.zklukkert.com/News_%26_Views/Entries/2015/1/8_Amazing_time_capsule_of_malagasy_fauna_discovered_in_underwater_cave.html
Antillothrix
Infrequent Poster

Name: Zachary Klukkert
NSS #: 65936
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Diving Section and Boston Mountain Grotto

Re: Light recommendation: Cave excavation + Cave Diving

Postby DStud » Sep 25, 2015 9:58 am

I'd go with the El Speleo dive 1500, great quality light for a fraction of what some of the other high end lights sell for. They don't stay in stock very long when he builds them though.

http://www.elwork-speleo.hr/cd/1119/l/E ... iving-1500
DStud
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 62534
Primary Grotto Affiliation: River City Grotto

Postby Antillothrix » Sep 25, 2015 10:44 am

Thank you DStud and Jon (wherever you are). So far I've found(or others have directed me to) these contenders:

Model: Phaethon Dual
Flood: Yes
Spot: Yes
Depth rating: 250m (!)
Max Burn on high: 25min
Max Burn on med: 6.5hrs
Max burn on low: 80hrs
notes: Piezo switch is very attractive, but international shipping and fees will raise price

Model: Pulsar Magnetic
Flood: Yes
Depth rating: 100m
Max Burn on high: 1h48min
Max burn on low: 43hrs (+backup led time)
notes: "backup led" is an appealing safety measure. light appears large and bulky, and international shipping and fees will raise price.

Model: Stenlight
Flood: no
Depth rating: 10m (though I'm told it can handle 35m+)
Max Burn on high: 2hrs
Max Burn on med: 7.5hrs
Max burn on low: 72hrs
notes: light lumen output claims very low, but says brightest portable LED available. Hard to gauge output. very small, lightweight, available in the US all attractive features.

Model: El Speleo Dive
Flood: no
Depth rating: 100m
Max Burn on high: 2hrs
Max Burn on med: --
Max burn on low: >100hrs
notes: Delrin battery case and piezo switch very attractive. limited availability.
Antillothrix
Infrequent Poster

Postby Steven Johnson » Sep 25, 2015 12:34 pm

Scurion makes dive-rated versions of their headlamps (-150m); I am not a diver but I have been using their cave-only headlamp for years and it's a totally amazing piece of kit.

http://www.scurion.ch/jm/index.php?o...=49&Itemid=114

That said... Scurion is pretty spendy, but if you can afford it, it's totally worth the money; it's rock-solid, amazing light output, and I've never had it fail despite lots of caving abuse.
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby MUD » Sep 27, 2015 9:18 am

MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby Antillothrix » Nov 3, 2015 7:02 pm

I got a Scurion! It's beautiful. I'll share a link to my blog post once I try it out.

Thanks for the replies.
Antillothrix
Infrequent Poster

Postby Marbry » Sep 10, 2016 3:34 pm

In case anyone else is looking this little lamp, very cheap (I think I paid $14), actually has done pretty well. I've only had it to about 35' though. https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Swimm ... +head+lamp
The switch gets gritty in mud, but still works and can be cleaned out.

Big Blue also has several headlamps in the $90 - $160 range that are rated to 100m.
Marbry
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 27221
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Return to Equipment Forum