Armytek Wizard Headlamps

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Armytek Wizard Headlamps

Postby NSS8921 » Feb 17, 2015 8:41 am

How do these perform? Are they a viable alternative to Spark and Zebralight?

I am in the market because my Zebralight H60 just died. Yes, H60, not H600.
NSS8921
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 8921
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Re: Armytek Wizard Headlamps

Postby caver.adam » Feb 17, 2015 10:34 am

Can I ask how the zebra died? I'm curious because I want to make sure I don't rely on them too heavily if there are any concerns. (Sorry, don't know about the armytek).
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby LukeM » Feb 17, 2015 1:37 pm

Just keep in mind that the H60 was designed 7 years ago and Zebra has made significant changes to their headlamps over time. For instance, a few years ago there were a lot of complaints of moisture getting behind the glass but that seems to have been sorted with a change in design.

I've run into a few people that use the Armytek headlamps and they seem happy with them. Sorry I can't offer more than that.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby chac » Feb 17, 2015 5:35 pm

I have an Armytek Wizard Pro XM-L2 that I bought a few years ago. I generally use it as a backup or a loaner. I like the double o-ring seal on the battery cap end. This is a big plus if you are going somewhere wet. As a backup, I normally travel with the battery compartment cap backed off half-twist avoiding an accidental "On" situation. I have had it wet and muddy before tightening the cap to use the light. No problems.

The light has been underwater to 10-15 feet, I would use it a bit deeper without hesitation. The push-button that cycles through the different choices of illumination is a bit stiff. I suppose if I used the light more often as a "primary" I'd get used to the stiff switch. Thick gloves may make cycling through light levels difficult. The light throws a great beam, you can pretty much choose the LED option when you order the light.

The headband is similar to the equivalent Zebra or Spark models. It is a semi-flaccid silicone mount on a headband. Using the Wizard as a primary, I "think" I get a stronger magnetic effect on my compass as opposed to the effects of the Spark or Zebra models. I am sure I could modify the Armytek's position on my helmet to negate this effect.

I am a strong advocate of using interchangeable batteries within equivalent lighting systems for caving. The Zebras and Sparks are great lamps as well. Whatever your choice, consider upgrading your Li-on batteries if they have seen a lot of cave.

Jim
Jim Coke
chac
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 26442

Postby NZcaver » Feb 18, 2015 12:33 am

NSS8921 wrote:How do these perform? Are they a viable alternative to Spark and Zebralight?

I am in the market because my Zebralight H60 just died. Yes, H60, not H600.

FYI - you could send your dead Zebralight in for repair instead of tossing it. Repair costs $15 and takes about 6 weeks. On the advice of other Cavechat members I sent my old H50 in last year after the switch failed. The repaired it like new. I suspect they actually just replaced it.

Contact Zebralight here https://zebralight.3dcartstores.com/crm ... =contactus
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby NSS8921 » Feb 18, 2015 8:00 am

Adam: It turns out that the H60 didn't die. Weird, though - I topped off three identical batteries and two didn't work in the H60, but they did in my Spark. But the third battery does work in the H60.

NZcaver: if it malf's again, I'll do that. H50, huh. Impressive that they repaired it.

Jim: Many thanks, just the info I wanted. Is it significantly brighter than the top end Zebralight? And agreed on the batteries, which makes me think twice about the Armytek.

John
NSS8921
Prolific Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Feb 18, 2015 8:16 am

The stated outputs for the Armytek are higher, but I don't see any significant difference. I agree that the switch can be stiff and fiddly, even without gloves. You have to find the sweet spot.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rlboyce » Feb 18, 2015 7:29 pm

I own the H600w and the Armytek Wizard. I used to own a Wizard Pro, but I lost it. I frequently cave with 3 individuals who also own both. A Wizard's performance is roughly equivalent to the H600 series, and perhaps a little closer to the MkII than the MkI. The Armytek is heavier (I can't tell a difference when it's on my helmet), because the body is bulkier... but that's also a good thing; the Armytek is clearly designed to take more of a beating, which I personally appreciate. The "spread" or beam profile of the Armyteks are not as concentrated as the standard H600, and most similar to the H600f. That means you can't see as far ahead with the Armytek (keep in mind that, even so, it still throws farther than the average headlamp you will find in a store), but that also means that you have more peripheral vision, which is also my personal preference. The tint on the Wizard is awesome; believe it or not, it makes my warm H600w look purplish and cold). As for trustworthiness, I have owned an H600 that failed in a cave, and my cousin has owned a Wizard that has failed outside a cave, so I consider it a draw. Look these up on candlepowerforums... it happens from time to time with both these manufacturers, and I'm sure it's not just these two. That's where warranty period comes into play, where the Wizard has an unbelievable 10 year warranty (vs the H600's 1 year). Sorry for this turning into a sales pitch, but the Wizard (non-pro) is also $15 cheaper. Is it a viable alternative? Yes, I definitely think so.
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby rlboyce » Feb 18, 2015 7:36 pm

By the way, the stated outputs are not apples to apples. You can find documentation concerning this on various flashlight forums. To sum it all up, the Armytek isn't as bright as the Zebra, and as Groundquest mentions, you can't really tell a difference. I contacted Armytek for clarification, and they confirmed that they state theoretical lumens (before inefficiencies are accounted for), whereas Zebra states out the front (OTF) lumens.
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby NSS8921 » Feb 20, 2015 10:01 am

Ha! Theoretical lumens are what you use for virtual sight, correct?

Thanks, Ryan, I was hoping you would respond. Since my H60 lazarused, I am less motivated to purchase, but when I do, the Armytek is a front runner.

John
NSS8921
Prolific Poster

Return to Equipment Forum