WindFire® 1800 Lumens CREE XM-L T6 U2 LED

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

WindFire® 1800 Lumens CREE XM-L T6 U2 LED

Postby danegarreau » Apr 24, 2014 6:53 am

Does anyone have any experience with the WindFire® 1800 Lumens CREE XM-L T6 U2 LED Headlamp?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GRLKGZA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3CYJ9Z1UVTZ7X&coliid=ILZ2OA57RNFO8
danegarreau
Infrequent Poster

Re: WindFire® 1800 Lumens CREE XM-L T6 U2 LED

Postby GroundquestMSA » Apr 24, 2014 7:43 am

For that price it might be worth trying. Even if the light is junk you're still getting two junky batteries (that you can use in a proper light, like a Zebra :big grin: ). There isn't any information on runtimes, and the customer reviews mention a few quality issues, but that's not surprising. The reviews are pretty funny really, and offer very little useful information to cavers; "I got this lite yesterday and after the sun went down and it was dark outside and I couldn't see without a light because it was night time I went outside with this light on and wow it is one of the best headlamps super bright and the head band is super soft." or, "I got this light so that I could find my clothes in the morning without waking up my wife. Several of my co-workers who are married swear by name brand, professional type lights like Coleman or LED Lenser, but this light has been every bit as good. I have used it more than once without charging." or, "Works great as a light in the dark."
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby potholer » Apr 25, 2014 4:35 am

Well, if it's a single XM-L, the '1800 lumens' is probably at least a 100% markup on the truth, and the 4000mAh is also certainly a lie - the only uncertain thing is how much of a lie.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Moff » Apr 27, 2014 2:35 pm

Is that an assault crown on a headlamp? :rofl:
Another handheld torch on your forehead.
I bet there's no more than 1000 ansi lumens and 18650s are maximum 2000 mAh each.
Moff
Occasional Poster

Postby jbhubbell » Apr 28, 2014 7:35 am

:down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:
jbhubbell
Infrequent Poster

Name: JB Hubbell
NSS #: 64869
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham Grotto

Postby steveh_131 » Sep 14, 2015 1:15 pm

I have this headlamp. It has survived 3 cave trips now with no issues. The mAh claims are a lie and the lumens claims are a lie.... but I do love the headlamp.

Here it is for $16: http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Headli ... e+headlamp

Cons:
- The batteries and charger are likely garbage. Plan to immediately deposit them in the garbage can where they belong, or if you can find the same light cheaper with no batteries, get that.
- The power switch is located on the back - maybe twice per cave trip, I hit it on the cave ceiling and it shuts off. Easy to turn back on, but annoying.
- I have very little confidence in the watertight seals. It does have gaskets in the battery compartment, but the charge port is just a little rubber plug. No idea how waterproof the lamp part is.

Pros:
- This thing is crazy bright. Not 1800 lumens bright, but bright. Twice as bright as anyone else in the caving party, including some higher end lights.
- I get around 4 hours out of a good set of 18650 batteries before it dims and maybe 6-8 hours before it dies (I change them when it dims at all)
- Has a lower brightness setting that should squeeze more runtime out of your batteries
- Has held up to the caving abuse so far. Probably won't last forever, but for $16 I'm really not worried about it.
- Straps hold to my petzl helmet with no issues

I have a few tenergy protected cells for primary batteries and I carry a bunch of recycled laptop cells for emergency backups. I use a proper nitecore charger (get one, they're only $20) and try to follow appropriate safety measures when charging/discharging the batteries (especially the unprotected cells).

Anyways, just my two cents from a guy who has to cave on a tight budget.
steveh_131
Infrequent Poster

Return to Equipment Forum