Socks

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Socks

Postby Spark85 » Apr 1, 2014 8:03 pm

I am having problems on extremely wet trips of my feet going numb after being submerge for a couple of hours. My footing becomes less secure when I cannot feel them. Any suggestions on what to wear. Right now I wear smartwwol socks with wetsuit booties over them.
Spark85
Infrequent Poster

Name: Todd McCartney
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Near Normal Grotto

Re: Socks

Postby msm0711 » Apr 1, 2014 8:13 pm

I've found that my biggest problem is circulation. If the socks are to tight, my feet get colder than if they were wet and did not have constricting coverings. As of yet, my best combo is Dakine Ski/Snowboard socks (Freerides: 40%Wool 25%Acrylic 21%Nylon 11%Spdx 3%Elastic) under Seal Skinz Waterproof Socks. Keeps me much toastier than any combo under neoprene socks or wetsuit booties.
msm0711
Frequent Poster

Name: Michael McBride
NSS #: 65541

Postby Leclused » Apr 2, 2014 3:22 am

Avoid getting wet by wearing waders or a latex pontonnière. In addition you can use feet heaters in your boots :-)
Leclused
Prolific Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Apr 2, 2014 6:33 am

If I could find them, I have some waterproof sox I'd sell you real cheap. I bought them a long time ago, used them once for bicycling, and they just didn't do it for me.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Spark85 » Apr 2, 2014 11:12 am

Leclused wrote:Avoid getting wet by wearing waders or a latex pontonnière. In addition you can use feet heaters in your boots :-)

The waders will probably be an issue. I have already received CPR once while caving after a near drowning accident. Some of the passages I am talking about are more than 8' deep. What are feet heaters and where do I buy them? They sound interesting.
Thanks,
Todd
Spark85
Infrequent Poster

Name: Todd McCartney
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Near Normal Grotto

Postby LukeM » Apr 3, 2014 8:11 am

If your wetsocks fit your feel well I would try putting the wool on the outside, especially if your socks are thick. Wetsuits work by trapping a thin layer of water near your body that can easily be kept warm. If you put too much material between you and the neoprene that just allows more water and more exchange between inside and outside.

The circulation thing is a good point. If all these socks are a tight fit in your boots then you're better off ditching a layer to get the blood flowing.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Shane S » Apr 3, 2014 9:33 am

Ok this may help. Go to Ebay. Look up Seal Socks. They often have a rip off chinease version for like 4 or 5 dollars. But these being socks they usually hold up for a year or two. And I cave very often and hard. These do keep your feet warm. The non knock off versions are really expensive.
Shane S
Prolific Poster

Name: Shane
NSS #: 64742
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Clock Tower Grotto

Return to Equipment Forum