Gear Question

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Gear Question

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Mar 20, 2014 10:01 pm

Is there any caving equipment, besides the obvious stuff like ascending and descending equipment and ropes, that is alright to purchase used? I know a lot of it would come down to the condition and function of the individual item, but I was curious if anyone had a few things to recommend or avoid at all costs.

This has started to get expensive, but thankfully it is an investment. :grin:
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Re: Gear Question

Postby NZcaver » Mar 21, 2014 4:06 am

Sure - helmets, lights, cave clothing, pads, packs, boots, you name it. More robust vertical gear too, especially if you know the seller/history.

I have bought all of the above items used at one time or another. I've also bought them all new at one time or another. It usually depends on immediate need, opportunity, and funds. :big grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby paul » Mar 21, 2014 7:07 am

I would avoid safety gear not made from metal: ropes, harnesses, slings, etc. I have seen caving harnesses for sale on eBay which are definitely more than 20 years old...
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Mar 21, 2014 9:55 am

Thanks guys. I wanted to buy a used rope that looks to be in good condition (Among a few other things) -just to save some money for other equipment- just so I can practice anchoring and rappelling in my backyard. Just needed some reassurance.
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Postby tamarmole » Mar 22, 2014 12:52 pm

Unless you are buying from a mate and know its history I would say steer well clear of second hand rope. It may look fine but you just do not know what nasty things may have happened to it - someone might of taken a fall on it or used it to tow a truck out of a ditch. Spend a few quid more and get something you can have a degree of confidence in. This also applies to stuff like harnesses and slings.

In terms of other kit - I've been using a second hand helmet (Caving Supplies Protex) for years. I have, on occasion, also bought vertical kit (I prefer the older Petzl Basic with the metal handle) on ebay - be very discriminating if you are not 110% happy with anything you've acquired this way bin it and write the cost off to experience.

The key is to gather enough experience and knowledge to make an informed decision. Asking the question on this forum is a good step on that journey.
tamarmole
Occasional Poster

Return to Equipment Forum