cavesuits and wedgies

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

cavesuits and wedgies

Postby snowbunny » May 2, 2006 7:51 am

Hello, I am in need of a good cave suit. I have borrowed warmbec suits from the club, but the fit has never been right. Where I am suits are more or less designed for men. I am a short woman with slightly round hips. I need a suit where the crotch doesn't hang around my knees, tying me up. Not to mention the dreded cave suit wedgie when stretching and climbing.

I am thinking of just sewing my own suit, but no idea where to get a pattern from.

Can any one help?

snowbunny
Infrequent Poster

Re: cavesuits and wedgies

Postby Squirrel Girl » May 2, 2006 9:41 am

snowbunny wrote:Hello, I am in need of a good cave suit. I have borrowed warmbec suits from the club, but the fit has never been right. Where I am suits are more or less designed for men. I am a short woman with slightly round hips. I need a suit where the crotch doesn't hang around my knees, tying me up. Not to mention the dreded cave suit wedgie when stretching and climbing.

I am thinking of just sewing my own suit, but no idea where to get a pattern from.

Can any one help?

Yeah, well, that's the rub isn't it. I'm tall. But still shaped like a woman. I've tried all kinds of suits. I bought a Meander. It's not big enough in the hips for me, and it's my gut that's fat, not my hips. I tried the next bigger size, and the top part was ENORMOUS! I'm thinking of slicing the old Meander up the sides and putting a gusset in for the hips.

I know someone who special ordered a Meander because he was an especially tall guy with moderate to slightly slim build. He got his just right.

The other option is B&C Wunderwear. I had a suit made by them a long time ago. It was off, and they had to rebuild it, but they did. I've heard some folks complain about their suits, but others love them. If my attempt to fix my Meander doesn't work, I'll probably give B&C another try. I no longer quite fit in the old suit.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Re: cavesuits and wedgies

Postby snowbunny » May 2, 2006 1:40 pm

Thanks for the tip. Let me know how the customization of your suit goes. I think I may give the custom suit idea a try, next time I am back in Canada. I am living in the UK at the moment, and caving/potholing here is almost exclusivly male. I had hoped the suits in North America, where more women cave, would have had some womens styles. LOL, oh well. Some day I will find something to fit this big bottom :)

Yeah, well, that's the rub isn't it. I'm tall. But still shaped like a woman. I've tried all kinds of suits. I bought a Meander. It's not big enough in the hips for me, and it's my gut that's fat, not my hips. I tried the next bigger size, and the top part was ENORMOUS! I'm thinking of slicing the old Meander up the sides and putting a gusset in for the hips.

I know someone who special ordered a Meander because he was an especially tall guy with moderate to slightly slim build. He got his just right.

The other option is B&C Wunderwear. I had a suit made by them a long time ago. It was off, and they had to rebuild it, but they did. I've heard some folks complain about their suits, but others love them. If my attempt to fix my Meander doesn't work, I'll probably give B&C another try. I no longer quite fit in the old suit.
snowbunny
Infrequent Poster

Ur Excess Gears Please???

Postby Pinoycaver » Jun 23, 2006 12:42 am

ohh, hi there ladies, talking about caving suits, appears like an oppourtunity for me to share something. I think, It's also my big problem now. Im now in the Philippines, and planning to pursue this "first love" career of caving.

First problem of mine are equipments to use.

To date, i'm using (only) "all improvised gears" and not so so-reliable gears. I have no (reliable) safety helmets (its so expensive to me); caving suits (i am thinking of hiring a tailor to sew it for me. What's the material to use then? what do you call that quick dry and light weight piece? Is it cordura?

Can any1 has excess for me? Please...?
"In the underground world, not everyone is who they seem to be..."
Pinoycaver
Infrequent Poster

Postby Lava tuber » Jun 23, 2006 2:07 am

cave suit wedgies are good for you it keeps you on your toes :cavingrocks:
Lava tuber
Occasional Poster

Postby Pinoycaver » Jun 23, 2006 2:12 am

really? sample please...

hehehe..
Pinoycaver
Infrequent Poster

Postby barcelonacvr » Jun 23, 2006 5:34 am

I use a Lost creek that is very nice to use despite my manatee like profile.I have recently had the odd problem with my voice octave changing due to certain movements :hairpull: so I am looking at a solution. I have already added suspenders inside ala drysuits and it has helped the hard to lift legs against the material bit but has created the soprano episodes :) I now have taken a nylon HVAC vibration coupler (it's pleated and compressed almost like some drysuits have in their telescoping mid rif) and I am letting my local cobbler try to sew it in.If it works well I will let you know. Maybe I should break down and get a B&C but I think with my odd shape I would still want to customize.

I really wish cave suit makers supplied supenders and telescoping midrifs as I see the features covering a lot of the usual cave suit gripes..well at least among my odd shaped peers :grin:

I have heard really good things about Warmbec relating to cutomer service.Do they not offer custom tailoring?
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ian mckenzie » Jun 23, 2006 10:22 am

I am male and have gone thru a succession of British-made oversuits, none of which have fitted me satisfactory. My current suit is a dream, though - it was custom-made for me by a friend who works in the outdoor equipment field. The trick is in sewing the suit in a partially pre-bent shape at the elbows, knees and back, allowing the suit to be a snugger fit because you don't need all that bagginess to allow movement. Also, there are some new materials out there that the cave-suit industry has not taken advantage of yet.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby Pinoycaver » Jun 23, 2006 10:20 pm

ian mckenzie wrote:it was custom-made for me by a friend who works in the outdoor equipment field. The trick is in sewing the suit in a partially pre-bent shape at the elbows, knees and back, allowing the suit to be a snugger fit because you don't need all that bagginess to allow movement. Also, there are some new materials out there that the cave-suit industry has not taken advantage of yet.

and how much it costs u?
Pinoycaver
Infrequent Poster

Postby potholer » Jun 26, 2006 2:20 pm

For people in the UK, Beaver oversuits (as sold by Bernie's, maybe elsewhere) are another possibility, for cavers of the appropriate build.
If buying to fit my bodylength, they're more than roomy enough sideways - not at all restrictive around the shoulders, or tight on the limbs or torso.
Though for my height (or torso-length), my legs are a little short, the suit is if anything even more so - after putting on a harness, the legs don't reach my ankles. Someone with short body/long legs might have fun, unless other suit sizes are proportioned differently.

The material is fabric, with a waterproofing that doesn't last long, but once worn-in, is still fine for other than the wetter trips, and usefully breathable. The ones I have had have been fairly hardwearing (my first suit did 2 years of weekly digging trips, monthly SRT trips and 2 summer expeditions before getting a bit too clapped-out).
Cuff seals, no hood, but a neoprene collar (a little tight for my thick neck). Fastens with 1" velcro *and* 2-way heavy zip (good for muddy digs). Reasonable inside pocket.
Last one I bought was £40.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Adam Byrd » Jun 27, 2006 2:45 pm

Another option for cave suits is Daleswear, a UK company. I wear a Daleswear Kingsdale suit that is pretty sweet. It costs £55. From their website:

...made from a polyurethane coated fabric which is tough, flexible and will shed water giving good protection underground. The style is designed to give freedom of movement and features a two way heavy duty zip covered by a velcro flap. Inside a velcro sealed pocket, features expanded neoprene cuffs and a detachable hood.
Adam Byrd
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56537
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Team Poseidon

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jun 27, 2006 7:58 pm

Adam Byrd wrote:Another option for cave suits is Daleswear, a UK company. I wear a Daleswear Kingsdale suit that is pretty sweet. It costs £55. From their website:

...made from a polyurethane coated fabric which is tough, flexible and will shed water giving good protection underground. The style is designed to give freedom of movement and features a two way heavy duty zip covered by a velcro flap. Inside a velcro sealed pocket, features expanded neoprene cuffs and a detachable hood.

Roughly $100.25 in American dollars... not bad at all really.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Sources for Wedgie-Resistant Cave Suit

Postby cmyoung » Jun 28, 2006 1:33 pm

I have had good results with suits from Dragon Caving Gear in the UK. Their suits have suspenders and they will make suits to measure.
cmyoung
Infrequent Poster

Name: Chris Young
NSS #: 40456
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Diego Grotto

Re: Sources for Wedgie-Resistant Cave Suit

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jun 28, 2006 1:42 pm

cmyoung wrote:I have had good results with suits from Dragon Caving Gear in the UK. Their suits have suspenders and they will make suits to measure.
Dragon is no longer. I checked with them a few days ago as their website was still up. They're a family owned business and the family is retiring and moving to another country!

Bummer! Their suits looked good, and I wanted one of their cave diving harnesses. And now I can get neither. :panic:
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby barcelonacvr » Jun 28, 2006 2:33 pm

ian mckenzie wrote:I am male and have gone thru a succession of British-made oversuits, none of which have fitted me satisfactory. My current suit is a dream, though - it was custom-made for me by a friend who works in the outdoor equipment field. The trick is in sewing the suit in a partially pre-bent shape at the elbows, knees and back, allowing the suit to be a snugger fit because you don't need all that bagginess to allow movement. Also, there are some new materials out there that the cave-suit industry has not taken advantage of yet.

Ian: Have you tried one of Martin Davis's suits? I wish I knew he made them before.I am going to try one as I am sure anything he would make would have a lot of heart in it.
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Equipment Forum