Portable Shoe Dryer

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Portable Shoe Dryer

Postby Hatch » Apr 27, 2006 1:43 pm

I stumbled across this recently. I'm thinking about getting a pair since I have no ability to keep my feet dry in a cave. I'm just worried about them shorting out and burning my boots up along with half the house. How'd you like to explain that to the insurance company?

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/72761. ... _ite=72761
Hatch
NSS# 56765

http://hatch.blogspot.com
Hatch
Prolific Poster

Name: J. Alan Hatcher
NSS #: 56765
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby erebus » Apr 27, 2006 2:08 pm

There are a bunch of boot driers here. I happen to own one that claimed to dry wet boots "in hours" with just blown air (no heat). They don't say how many hours, and it turns out to be something like thirty, unless you set the boots in the sun at the same time.

You might be able to get something like the "20-watt thermal convection heating process" by putting a couple of 15-Watt lightbulbs in ceramic clamp-on fixtures, and shoving those in your boots. Or maybe filling the boots with Wintergreen Life-Savers and hitting them with a hammer would do it . . .
erebus
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6752

Postby Lava » Apr 27, 2006 2:33 pm

Wouldn't need to worry about drying your boots if you used Wellies!
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby Jep » Apr 27, 2006 3:50 pm

I've been using Peet Shoe Dryers for a few years now. I can put a totally soaked pair of boots on the dryer in the evening and they will be dry by the next morning. There is some heat involved, but convection current is how the heat is distributed. Jep.
Jep
Prolific Poster

Return to Equipment Forum