Apex Recharagable

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Apex Recharagable

Postby icave » Sep 10, 2013 7:13 am

Anyone have experience with the newer Apex Rechargeable? I've really liked my Apex over the many years I've had it. When my first one became temperamental, PT replaced it without question. Great customer service. When looking at their site the other day, I saw that they now have a rechargeable version of the Apex which boasts significantly longer run times, which was my only real grip with the Apex.

Has anyone tried this lamp out? I'm a bit concerned about the caveworthiness of the battery plug, and the fact it only uses a USB charger.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike
Signature, I don't need no stinkin signature!
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Spencer
NSS #: 48165
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Allentown Grotto

Re: Apex Recharagable

Postby icave » Sep 15, 2013 9:25 am

I spoke with PT customer service the other day and they said they had re-engineered the battery plug to be more caveworthy. I'm guessing there were issues with the earlier versions. Still, I'd love to hear back from someone with actual underground experience with the newer Apex. I'm considering buying one soon.

Thanks,
Mike
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Sep 15, 2013 5:52 pm

So, what happens when the battery goes dead?
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby icave » Sep 16, 2013 8:00 am

I was thinking you would need to get a second battery, plus it may make sense to make an adapter to run it off of regular Li-ion batteries, like the Sten.
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BryantG » Sep 16, 2013 4:39 pm

Where can one find the new Apex rechargeables? My Apex is starting to get some wear on it and I've been thinking of upgrading it.
BryantG
Infrequent Poster

Postby icave » Sep 18, 2013 9:10 am

There are lots of stores. Just Google "princeton tec apex rechargeable" and you will get many. I'm opting for a different route right now. My old Apex had the switch go bad, so I RMAed it off to PTEC for repair/replacement. I've decided to give the Sanyo rechargeables a good try. They now have a 2500 mAh eneloop battery. It only says it's good for 500 recharges, vs the 1500 of the lower capacity eneloops, but I figure it's worth a try. CandelPower forums has posted some good run time comparisons, and it looks like 2500 mAh rechargeables were providing only an hour less regulated run time than the new Apex rechargeable. Since I already own an Apex, I figured I'd see what could be done to make it run longer first.

I still think that the Apex rechargeable looks like a promising mid range light for those of us not willing to spend the $370 to go the Sten route.
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Equipment Forum