Petzl DuoBelt LED 14 HL

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Petzl DuoBelt LED 14 HL

Postby skeeterofdoom » Apr 22, 2006 12:03 am

Hi i was looking to buy a new light and am relatively new at caving. Have been with some friends in small local caves but now am venturing into larger caves in which my regular old LED light will not cut it. Ive been getting a lot more into it lately and was wondering if anybody has used a Petzl DuoBelt LED 14 HL, and how it performs. I looked thru a lot of lights and liked this one but wanted to hear some feedback on it first.
Thanks
skeeterofdoom
New Poster

Postby cheshire » Apr 23, 2006 5:26 pm

Yes, I've used it. I'm usually not entirely fond of belt clip battery packs, but this really wasn't all that bad. I was fairly pleased with the level of illumination, and it had enough power to make it through a cave trip without a batter change, even though it was set on high power most of the time. I've used several incarnations of the Duo, and I've never had a problem with one.

Is there anything about its performance that you particularly want to know about? I've only used it on a couple of trips, but I'll comment the best I can. Unfortunately I can't get underground as much as I used to and so the lamp is still practicaly new.
Mike Fraley
http://www.caves.org/member/mfraley
cheshire
Infrequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Apr 29, 2006 2:04 am

I've caved with a friend who has the Petzl Duo 14 LED - but not the belt version. He likes it, but didn't have much choice because it was a gift. I compared it to my old faithful Duo 8 LED and it seems a little brighter, but not all that much.

My suggestion - your money would be better spent on a Princeton Tec Apex. (I have one of those, too.) There's a whole thread about these here - http://www.caves.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=600

:grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Biggimo1 » Apr 30, 2006 8:54 pm

I agree with NZcaver.
Biggimo1
Occasional Poster

Return to Equipment Forum