Vertical treadmill

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Vertical treadmill

Postby hardcorecaver » Apr 21, 2006 10:52 pm

I was woundering if anybody know some one that would make a rope in to a loop with out a knot in it . its in the onrope book. please thanks
hardcorecaver
Occasional Poster

Name: Lucas Middleton
NSS #: 56420
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pecos Valley Grotto

Postby Mike Rz » Apr 23, 2006 8:36 pm

I could never get that splice to work. If there were sufficient wraps to get any axial strength, it was too stiff to go through a rack. And when it was supple enough to go through the rack the splice would break. After my vision cleared I made a splice where I inserted ~12 inches of the mantle in the other end of mantle (ala beer knot) and then sewed 1/2 inch intervals with lots of 12# fishing line. The splice must be routed thorugh the rack in the proper direction or it will hook. I found pit rope too stiff so I used New England KMIII.

Mike
Mike
Mike Rz
Infrequent Poster

Postby cavescom » May 11, 2006 9:18 pm

There is a link to this article http://filebox.vt.edu/users/balister/tr ... index.html in the Caves.com links page.
I actually talked to Pete about this rig he built and he said it worked well back when he built it for training prior to an expedition.

Mark Passerby, Caves.com
cavescom
Prolific Poster

Return to Equipment Forum