petzl stop or petzl reppel rack

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: petzl stop or petzl reppel rack

Postby Extremeophile » Mar 1, 2013 5:57 pm

Chads93GT wrote:
Extremeophile wrote:I think I'm starting to see the next step in descender evolution. First was the 6-bar rack with no hyperbar, then the 4-bar micro-rack with 1 or 2 hyperbars, then the Scarab with 1-bar and 4 hyperbars. The next thing is obviously the all hyperbar device.

Thats a decender? Damn I found one of those in my fireplace when I bought my house. What the hell was it doing in there??? :woohoo:

The model shown here is an early prototype. The current iteration is made with nano tube carbon reinforced titanium and has liquid cooling. It also has more than the 16 hyperbars shown, and to add or remove friction the bars need to be wrapped in a precise sequence, much like the Scarab. Like a rack it requires both hands to control, but a version is in development that uses both hands and both feet. It's being called the "Complex".
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby GroundquestMSA » Mar 4, 2013 7:47 pm

Extremeophile wrote:I think I'm starting to see the next step in descender evolution. First was the 6-bar rack with no hyperbar, then the 4-bar micro-rack with 1 or 2 hyperbars, then the Scarab with 1-bar and 4 hyperbars. The next thing is obviously the all hyperbar device.

This device gave me the bright idea to try and rappel on a necktie hanger. It didn't work. The metal bent too easily. So I moved on to other assorted stuff lying around the house. I was able to successfully descend 20' from my tree branch with the following items:

Catchers Mask - Using the mitt on the brake hand didn't work very well though.
Coffee Cup - Obviously with the handle rigged in ATC style. Very scary
Deer Skull with Antlers - The connection point of the device (foramen ovale) disintegrated as I reached the ground.
Wire Clothes Hanger - Doesn't dissipate heat very well
Electric Guitar - Pros: I got a smooth, easily controlled ride out of this one. Was able to tap out Hey Hey, My My with the left hand on the way down. Cons: It's a tad bulky, especially if you're carrying an amp.
Cow Pelvis - Sharp edges did some damage to the rope. Happily I was using a junk rope. Very ungainly.

Also, I was able to frog the same distance using a baseball bat and donut weight as the upper ascender.

This was a rather entertaining way to waste the better part of an evening, and I think it makes, to a very small degree, a point relevant to this burst of back and forth about descenders. That point, I think, is: It doesn't matter what descender you use. If you are happy with a Simple or Stop or 8 or Rack or Stratocaster, use it. I don't know why experienced climbers feel the need to inform each other why their way is better. Of course I view descending and ascending rope as a means of transport, not as a hobby ipso facto. I'm happy if I get in and out alive.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Extremeophile » Mar 4, 2013 11:21 pm

I've descended more than a few times using a locking carabiner and Munter hitch.
I've also used the dulfersitz, which utilizes my right ass cheek for friction ... now that's state of the art.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby Carl Amundson » Mar 5, 2013 8:07 am

Extremeophile wrote:I've descended more than a few times using a locking carabiner and Munter hitch.
I've also used the dulfersitz, which utilizes my right ass cheek for friction ... now that's state of the art.

A munter hitch is great for short drops, you just need to be mindful of where you keep the trailing rope.
Keeping it down by your hip can make for a fast ride depending on the condition of the rope.
If using clean rope, I keep the trailing rope above the carabiner and let it slide against the weighted section of the rope for extra friction.
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby killian » Mar 9, 2013 4:29 pm

used the petzl stop today... just have to say that most ppl r right. that thing sucks... deff will be going with the BMS micro rack... petzl should change the name fo the stop to the slow... lol i will spend way less money on a micro rack and like it more...
Man i sure do like caving.....
killian
Prolific Poster

Name: Killian McCarthy
NSS #: 58343

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum