NEBO Redline Light

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

NEBO Redline Light

Postby rebelfirefighter » Feb 27, 2013 9:05 am

Has anybody tried out the NEBO Redline Light yet? I got one the other day. Small light but puts out 250 lumens. I originally bought it planning to get a mount of some kind and put it on a rifle but I couldn't pass up trying it caving. I used it the other day along side my petzl duo. It put out some really good light. I'm pleased with it so far. Its just water resistant so I don't believe I will take it to anything super wet but I believe it will work great for the majority of the TAG caves I go in. I will probably find a better way of attaching it to my helmet. It was a last minute decision to try it out that day so I put it on my helmet with 550 cord.

http://onrope1.com/store/index.php?p=pr ... 4&parent=0
rebelfirefighter
Prolific Poster

Name: Andy Witt
NSS #: 63903
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Re: NEBO Redline Light

Postby caver.adam » Feb 27, 2013 9:59 am

I have tried out the Nebo 5581 220 Lumen Redline Tactical Flashlight. For my home use it has worked pretty well. It is quite bright with new batteries, fits in a fist, but is fairly bulky and has edges that could be used as blunt weapon if needed. It dims as the batteries get low, as expected, but seems to hold a charge a decent amount of time.

My experience in a cave with this light has been unfavorable. Two of these lights I have tried quickly become mucked up with mud and water/condensation. I did not submerge these lights. The switches on both lights failed after only a couple of cave trips in damp/muddy caves. When I press the switch I get a flickering most of the time. Also, sometimes I will get the light on and then it will turn itself off. My verdict is that this light is great for walking the dog, but not good for caving.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby caver.adam » Feb 27, 2013 10:00 am

If you use these in a cave I would be very careful not to open them in a cave, and then when you get home to clean them well without submersion before opening the battery case. The spring in the back where the switch is seems to get corroded and damaged easily.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 27, 2013 12:10 pm

Interesting. I have an uber-cheap little 1xAA NEBO light which I've been carrying around in my pocket for a couple of years. Not as bright as this one, and only single mode, but well worth the $8 or so I paid for it. Doubt it's very waterproof, so I wouldn't use it for caving. Occasionally dims and needs a tap to get bright again (presumably the contacts). Hardly blinding, but it's convenient and works well a NiMH cell.

As for the Redline, I'm skeptical of any light which uses 3xAAA batteries and prefer not to use AAA batteries at all.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby caver.adam » Feb 28, 2013 10:09 am

There is a Li-Ion battery that can be used instead of the three AAA batteries. Can't remember which one.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 28, 2013 2:34 pm

If there is an alternate battery option, it seems strange the manufacturer did not mention it in the specs.

http://www.nebotools.com/prod_details.php?id=83
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby caver.adam » Mar 1, 2013 8:42 am

I guess it is possible I was thinking of one of the other lights I've bought. Need to start writing down a list.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Equipment Forum