Apex

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Apex

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 26, 2012 9:43 pm

It's not a rechargeable issue, its a "leaving batteries in your light that may be wet" issue. That causes problems. Use what you want but for gods sake open up your gear and let it breathe when you get home.
Last edited by Chads93GT on Dec 27, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby gindling » Dec 27, 2012 1:05 am

Chads93GT wrote:It's not a rechargeable issue cuts a leaving batteries in your light that may be wet issue.

Could we get a translation of this?
gindling
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 53629
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Rocky Mountain Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 27, 2012 12:26 pm

Beginning to hate my iPhone. It's not a rehargable battery issue, it is a "leaving wet batteries in you headlight" issue.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Dec 28, 2012 1:46 am

:big grin: Actually it is a light issue. Buy a light made for caving and you won't have those problems. The money some of you have spent on headlamps over the past few years could've bought you one lamp thats made for caving!
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby graveleye » Dec 28, 2012 9:22 am

I've caved with my Apex for 7 years and never had a single problem with it. Banged it around, got it wet and muddy and it's bright as it was the day I bought it.
I think that would qualify it as a caving light whether it was intended for it or not.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 28, 2012 1:59 pm

I've seen a dozen of sten lights take a crap too. I don't buy the "buy a real cave light" argument. I like by $89 non caving zebra lights better than any cave light I've seen. Much much lighter. And brighter ;)
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Dec 28, 2012 10:41 pm

My Apex did me pretty well for a bunch of years too, especially after I did the little waterproof mod. My Zebralight and Fenix lights have been good too. It's not difficult to remove and check/recharge/replace batteries as part of your normal post-trip cleaning and maintenance routine.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby potholer » Jan 7, 2013 9:59 am

I must say, I find it hard to understand the reluctance of people to use [decent] rechargeable cells in a light where, if they're being cautious, they seem likely to be carrying spare cells.
Seemingly the worst thing that can happen is that they need to swap cells earlier than they expected.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum