Best Side mount flashlight

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Best Side mount flashlight

Postby photoguy190 » Aug 16, 2012 6:14 pm

I'm looking for a good flashlight to side mount on my helmet. I currently have a Duo with with an custom duo insert and I will keep a apex in my pack as my back up. I would like a 2nd light on my helmet that is easy to switch on. I was thinking I would like this to be a real beam thrower that would have two purposes. It would allow me to see long leads and put more light on the ceiling in big rooms. I would also like this to be able to get my apex out of my bag. I don't want it to be too big and it would be nice to run off of AAs since that is what my other lights run on. Since its won't be used much except in those two areas I'm not as concerned with the lower battery life with AAs. I used to have a mini maglite on my helmet and it never really bugged me so I was considering putting one of the new mini pros that are supposed to be over 200 lumans. Also looked at the maglite xl200 that is close to 200 lumans. I don't know how much beam these will throw though. There are so many options I'm a little lost. Any suggestions would be great. I would also like to keep it under $50. Am I being too picky and asking for to much?
photoguy190
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 64370

Re: Best Side mount flashlight

Postby snoboy » Aug 16, 2012 8:15 pm

Pretty partial to the LD10 by Fenix myself. Meets most of your desires, except for it isn't super bright. Not going to help a whole lot with looking up avens or across gigantic caverns. :down: Note that the 100 lumen mode requires twisting the head, not really practical on the side of the helmet.

About $50, takes 1 x AA, mounts up nicely to the side of a helmet and is small enough it doesn't really get in the way. So far it's been tough and reliable. :kewl:
snoboy
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: BC Speleological Federation

Postby BenS » Aug 16, 2012 9:53 pm

The Fenix e21 is a great choice. It has about 150 lumens in neutral white and it has a really long throw. It runs off 2 AA batteries and it is pretty much indestructable. You can pick them up for $45 or less.
BenS
Frequent Poster

Name: Ben Skinner
NSS #: 64281

Postby photoguy190 » Aug 17, 2012 11:04 pm

Ok thanks I do like the e21 its another option for me. Ok I also have a question on the actual side mount. I once caved with a guy that had a bright light, looked like a flashlight might have been a dedicated cave light. Anyway he had this side mounted in a way that it could swivel up and down. It was great cause he didn't have to point his head every were he wanted light. He could angle the light up to see a roof or down to see the bottom of the pit with out moving his head a lot. Any idea on how this might be done with a flash light.
photoguy190
Infrequent Poster

Postby BenS » Aug 17, 2012 11:16 pm

If you want a light with good throw wouldn't it be weird to have it swivel? Personally when I'm looking at a smaller spot in the distance I want my eyes looking straight. For me it would be awkward to swivel the light and only move my eyes to focus on that area. I can't think of a good way to make it swivel... I'll think about it some more and try to come up with something.
BenS
Frequent Poster

Name: Ben Skinner
NSS #: 64281

Postby photoguy190 » Aug 17, 2012 11:27 pm

Thanks, I just remember it as so cool, it was one of the first times I had caved it was such a bright light compared to the the others even the stens. We would ask about some feature and he would swivel it to point stuff out to us, and the greats thing about it was he could swivel it out of the way we he talk to us so he didn't blind us. Maybe it was cool cause of the brightness, this thing just pumped out the light. I wish I would have thought to ask more about it, but being so new I didn't think much I was just in awe of the cave.
photoguy190
Infrequent Poster

Postby Caver John » Aug 18, 2012 1:00 pm

I also use the fenix e21. It's def a real thrower and the two settings provide either an aux long range beam or a low power emergency backup
Caver John
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Scag grotto

Postby LambCaver » Oct 10, 2012 2:13 am

Fenix just came out with new lights in the "E" series or range. The E25 and E35 both have a switch on the side which makes it a good candidate for a side mounted light on you helmet.
They look pretty sweet! Tempted to get the E25! :D Seems good, uses two AA batteries which is good as all of my lights use AA and have a good output of 187Lumens - 90Lumens -27Lumens and good a battery life. While for the E35 uses a pair of CR123a and has a MAX output of 225Lumens!

You can have a look at the links here.
E35 = [http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=119 ]
E25 = [http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=118 ]
LambCaver
Infrequent Poster

Name: Zarris Kem

Return to Equipment Forum