Source of 18650 cells?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Source of 18650 cells?

Postby Lava » May 15, 2012 8:01 pm

So I'm making an external battery for my hammer drill - what's the best online store to get Li-Ion 18650 cells from? Keep in mind this won't be for a headlamp, so I don't need the absolute best. I just want something with decent capacity that's not going to explode on me (assuming I treat it right). I looked on batteryspace.com and megabatteries.com, but wasn't sure if there was a better place to go. Any recommendations?
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Re: Source of 18650 cells?

Postby brngk » May 15, 2012 8:40 pm

This link was posted recently by Jeff Kruse in the ST-6 discussion.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... ew-summary

The author of the article notes that run time will depend on current draw and gives you a way to
determine which cells will be best for your application.
brngk
Occasional Poster

Postby Lava » May 15, 2012 11:15 pm

Thank you, some great info there!
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » May 17, 2012 9:12 am

I've had good luck with all-battery.com. They mostly carry the Tenergy brand cells, but they have some of the other big names as well. Also, I found that combined with a coupon code the price was unbeatable. I use high capacity Tenergy cells in my headlamp battery pack and have been pretty happy with them overall.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby jharman2 » May 17, 2012 2:55 pm

Lava wrote:So I'm making an external battery for my hammer drill - what's the best online store to get Li-Ion 18650 cells from? Keep in mind this won't be for a headlamp, so I don't need the absolute best. I just want something with decent capacity that's not going to explode on me (assuming I treat it right). I looked on batteryspace.com and megabatteries.com, but wasn't sure if there was a better place to go. Any recommendations?

Please be careful when using 18650 cells. They are generally a lithium-cobalt chemistry that can fail catastrophically when discharged at a high rate. 24 and 36volt drills can draw up to 15 amps which greatly exceeds the 1-2C discharge rate of most 18650s. Of course you can run a configuration like 10s2p to reduce the load on each cell, but then you run into problems charging the pack and cell balancing. I highly recommend using a chemistry that is capable of a high discharge rate like a lithium polymer or LiFePO4. Please feel free to PM me as I've built several high capacity battery packs for 36V Hilti drills. In fact, I'm building a 36V 15 amp-hour LiFePO4 pack right now for a customer.
John Harman (Pantin apologist)
http://www.wvunderground.net/
jharman2
Prolific Poster

Name: John Harman
NSS #: 58082
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Postby citracaver » May 18, 2012 9:41 am

LukeM wrote:I've had good luck with all-battery.com. They mostly carry the Tenergy brand cells, but they have some of the other big names as well. Also, I found that combined with a coupon code the price was unbeatable. I use high capacity Tenergy cells in my headlamp battery pack and have been pretty happy with them overall.

I second this. Used Tenergy 18650's in my latest 55 watt HID video light heads from all-battery. They are great!
citracaver
Infrequent Poster

Name: Sean W. Roberts
NSS #: 50946
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Florida Speleological Society

Postby Caver John » May 18, 2012 3:05 pm

I also use Tenergy 18650's. I get them from batteryjunction.com
Caver John
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Scag grotto

Postby Lava » May 20, 2012 2:10 am

jharman2 wrote:Please be careful when using 18650 cells. They are generally a lithium-cobalt chemistry that can fail catastrophically when discharged at a high rate. 24 and 36volt drills can draw up to 15 amps which greatly exceeds the 1-2C discharge rate of most 18650s. Of course you can run a configuration like 10s2p to reduce the load on each cell, but then you run into problems charging the pack and cell balancing. I highly recommend using a chemistry that is capable of a high discharge rate like a lithium polymer or LiFePO4. Please feel free to PM me as I've built several high capacity battery packs for 36V Hilti drills. In fact, I'm building a 36V 15 amp-hour LiFePO4 pack right now for a customer.

John, thanks for the heads-up. My drill already uses 18650s, I'm just adding a couple of parallel packs. Should be fine.
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Equipment Forum