Petzl Tikka XP

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Petzl Tikka XP

Postby wendy » Apr 27, 2012 9:48 am

I just got a Petzl Tikka XP. My original plan was to use it has a headlamp around camp and to carry in my pack as an emergency back up. Currently I use a Princeton Tec Apex as my primary with a mini mag light on my helmet as a backup and another headlamp in my back as an emergency backup.

So I bought a new helmet and am getting ready to set up the lights and here are some options I thought of:

Option 1 = keep the Apex as my primary, strap a mini mag on the side, and keep the Tikka in my pack

Option 2 = put the Tikka as my primary, mini mag on the side, and another headlamp in my pack as a backup and leave the Apex on my old helmet

Has anyone used the Tikka XP as a primary headlamp?
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Re: Petzl Tikka XP

Postby Cody JW » Apr 27, 2012 1:06 pm

If that is what I had I would keep the apex as a primary and if there is room on the helmet I would put the Tikka on also and put the mini mag and strap in an otter box in the pack. If you do not already have the LED insert for the mini mag I would spend the 5 bucks for one. How old is the apex ?? The newest one is 200 lm and the one before that is 130 lm. The original one is like 60 or 80 lm. The apex is fine as long as you do not get around much water.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 27, 2012 2:41 pm

What Jeff said. For no other reason than to get the Mag off the side of your helmet. It will make you more speleodynamic. I was always getting it caught on stuff when I tried it.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby wendy » Apr 27, 2012 3:21 pm

I've had my Apex for a long time, so I am not sure of its strength, hmmm something to look into.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Apr 27, 2012 4:19 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:What Jeff said. For no other reason than to get the Mag off the side of your helmet. It will make you more speleodynamic. I was always getting it caught on stuff when I tried it.

Ditto.

Also love the word "speleodynamic" - must inject this into conversation whenever possible. :woohoo:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby wyandottecaver » Apr 27, 2012 4:34 pm

Tikka XP is a decent light, but I would keep the APEX and mini mag out with the tikka in the pack. I trashed 2 tikkas on my helmet....admittedly through abuse, but the APEX and mini mag will take it better. keep the APEX away from serious water.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 27, 2012 6:21 pm

NZcaver wrote:Also love the word "speleodynamic" - must inject this into conversation whenever possible. :woohoo:

http://caveworthy.blogspot.com/2006/05/ ... amics.html
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Return to Equipment Forum