Rude Nora Caving Lamp

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Rude Nora Caving Lamp

Postby MUD » Apr 11, 2012 7:50 pm

:big grin: I just received 3 Noras in the post today! The build quality of these lamps is impeccable. 800 lumens of power with 7 different modes. The spot and flood leds can be used seperately or together. I just had this thing outside testing it....WOW! :yikes: She's a rather rude little monkey lol.

I'll be leaving early in the morning for a weekend trip to Indiana to witness the wedding of cavers Mudpuppy and Shelly Wolf. I'll be caving while there and trying out the Nora proper. I'll post up some pics when I get back!
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Re: Rude Nora Caving Lamp

Postby NZcaver » Apr 11, 2012 7:55 pm

Very cool! :kewl: Have a fun weekend. And congratulations to the happy couple!
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby GroundquestMSA » Apr 11, 2012 8:14 pm

Are the other two wedding presents?
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MoonshineR DavE » Apr 11, 2012 10:09 pm

I wish they would've made it in while I was at your place so I could have seen them. Have fun in Indy and tell them to enjoy my gift!
MoonshineR DavE
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Apr 11, 2012 11:28 pm

One of the Nora's is for my lovely Linda. :kiss: One is for myself and the other is for my caver mate Tim who owns a Sten but doesn't want RUDE envy. :wtg:

Don't you worry Shiner we're all gonna enjoy that present and I'll have some pics to prove it! :laughing: You'll get to see Nora real soon as we have a date with some dark, wet holes near your camp! :waving:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Smells_Familiar » Apr 12, 2012 9:14 pm

Congrats on the lights! That would be exciting indeed.

I assume you'll be headed into Bryant's Cave? The property and cave are beautiful. Lots of amazing formations. I was there last weekend and that cave kicked ma butt!
Smells_Familiar
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 64838
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Postby Cody JW » Apr 13, 2012 10:05 am

GroundquestMSA wrote:Are the other two wedding presents?
The happy couple are Sten users . In fact Mudpuppy just bought her a new Sten last winter. He is a die hard Sten guy, told me he has turned many on to The Sten. Stens are nice but I would rather have The Rude. I plan to go to the wedding also and cannot wait to see Cave Muds light. I think he might be the first one on this side of the pond to have one.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Cody JW » Apr 15, 2012 9:04 am

I finally got my hands on The Rude yesterday at the wedding. All I can say is WOW !! It looks well made and that battery box looks bombproof. A friend of mine with a Sten was there to do a comparison and he said " I just had to put The Sten away" no comparison. Like the Scurion it has multiple settings using one or both bulbs. You can easily tell that this bad boy IS made for caving unlike many of the sport lights that are bright but are not made by cavers for caving. Cave Mud , I am glad I finally got to meet you and hope we can cave soon. Just do not blow me away with that light is all I ask. Also Extremeophile, after seeing The Rude I could only imagine your Scurion, it must be impressive. I am told the Rude is more compact. The head piece has a diameter that is about as long as a AA battery. The lights we now have just blow me away.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Apr 18, 2012 12:13 pm

:clap: Bravo RUDE NORA! :clap: First off, the build quality of this thing is first rate! It's 7 different modes of lighting allow you to customize the lamp's output and beam pattern for the type of passage you're in.

At the wedding/caver get together Friday night I did get to compare the lamp with a friend who has Sten. NO contest. After cycling thru the settings of the Nora for a look on her, he walked over to his truck and put it away! Lol he wouldn't get it back out to compare them. He just walked away shaking his head and mumbling something about having to sell the Sten for a Nora. :laughing:

Got to see the two side by side in Bryant's Cave on Sunday. NO contest. Sten owners now have RUDE envy! I mean there's just no comparison. The Nora on full flood is like a carbide lamp on high...without all the waffle that goes with that. I was a carbide caver for many years until the onslaught of nice electric/led lamps. I now have an electric carbide! :big grin: My lamp has the warmer leds for a more neutral/natural looking light and it is so very nice! The pic below is my lovely Linda in Bryant's Cave - Harrison County, Indiana. All lighting is from the Noras.

I was told by John we're the first cavers in the US to have the Nora. I'm very sure he'll be selling many more when cavers see them in action. I can't thank him enough for building us the lamps!
Check out the link... http://www.littlemonkeycaving.co.uk/Pages/RudeNora.aspx ...I'll answer any questions here about the Nora I can! :waving:

MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Apr 18, 2012 1:51 pm

I agree cavemud , but you might want to re think sten owners having Rude envy. They are a proud bunch and will have trouble accepting that their light does not rule the roost. I have asked a few of my sten buddies about The Rude and they said "I do not know, I love my Sten". My reply was "Please slowly put down and back away from the crack pipe before somebody gets hurt". All kidding aside, Stens are great lights , but I am surprised they have not updated to compete with Rude and Scurion. Or even Spark or Zebra. Even if that means a price increase.Sten could also do some good by introducing some kind of battery protective case.Rude definitely has a huge advantage there. You can put the 18650 pack or the AAs into the same hard battery case. I have seen Sten battery packs protected by all kinds of jury rigged eyesores.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Apr 18, 2012 2:16 pm

The Sten is a great caving headlamp! It's simply just outdated and can't compete with the Rude Nora or Scurion type lamps. The Scurion is actually dated as Bif has come up with a way to have 3.7 volts run the leds which I do believe increases efficiency and allows a much greater runtime. The Nora is small too, unlike the Scurion. Here's a pic of Linda's Purple Nasty and my Dream Sump Blue Nora with a couple of Eneloops for scale.

MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 18, 2012 3:14 pm

Could you post a pic of the whole package? Light, battery pack, cords, charger, everything. And, how much did you pay?
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby MUD » Apr 18, 2012 5:08 pm

This is what I got with my package.
I also got some zip ties for attaching the battery box to the helmet but forgot to put them in the pic. Price is on the Rude Nora webpage...I can tell you the current money market is not in favor of the dollar verse the pound. More $$$ than a Sten, less than a Scurion. :big grin: The world's finest caving headlamp is worth every penny!
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Apr 18, 2012 6:56 pm

Something else I noticed on cavemuds light is the mount to the Ecrin. The hardware it ( headpiece) comes with seems to hold it closer than the ones I have seen others use with The Sten. I also remember seeing on Bifs site that they did a test diving with this light and it held up very well, not surprised. There are many nice bright lights to choose from now but only a few ( I can only think of 4 that are currently available commercially here in The USA) are designed for caving by cavers who understand correct optics and design for caving.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 18, 2012 8:10 pm

Thanks, Mud!
So, what we have here in the picture is, I think, 1. a AA adapter 2. Charger 3. Li-ion battery 4. Not sure what the skinny black thing under the li-ion battery is 5. Charger adapter? White, at top 6. Lamp 7. Bracket 8. Battery case and lid 9. Grease, for battery case seals? 10. Plastic bag with mounting hardware? What's the wire for?
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Next

Return to Equipment Forum