LED lamp sugestions

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

LED lamp sugestions

Postby fr73ed » Apr 3, 2012 5:25 pm

I'm lookin for an LED headlamp that has a good throw with some side light.
I don't have a feel for the advertisements that tell me so many lumens or cp.
Are there any lamps with a flex cable head that could be hard mounted to a frame with a bright throw ?
Next, cold weather operation... does the cold affect lamp output, besides battery output, are there differences in abilities of these mfg.s lamps to work in real cold ?
An finally, how about a separate battery pack for extra hours in those conditions.

thanks,
fr73ed
fr73ed
Frequent Poster

Re: LED lamp sugestions

Postby MUD » Apr 3, 2012 9:11 pm

MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby fr73ed » Apr 6, 2012 5:09 pm

OK, I looked at the link, that lamp really looks good, the site has somebody with a good sense of humor.

However, it looks like the li-ion battery can't take even a little bit of cold, and would fail totally in real cold.
So that takes this system out of the runnin due to capability standards.

When I finally found the price I was surprised. At $ 1.60 to 1 thats an expensive light.

Thanks , any other suggestions ?
fr73ed
Frequent Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Apr 6, 2012 5:19 pm

What exactly are you wanting? Fenix makes a ton of light, Princeton tec makes a ton of lights. Zebra makes a ton, Spark makes a ton, there are dozens and dozens of light comparison threads. I am not even sure what you are really wanting? obviously you dont want a caving light because you are talking about bitter cold temperatures..........
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby kevinm » Apr 10, 2012 12:00 am

I like mine a lot. It's cheaper than a Sten and much brighter. If you search for "Kavelight" on this forum, it will come up. I can make the battery pack with a longer cable so that you can wear it inside your suit or coat.

I don't know of any batteries that work better at low temps than lithium ion. I know guys in Alaska and mountaineers that use them. How cold are you talking?

Kevin
kevinm
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby fr73ed » Apr 13, 2012 1:12 pm

Been gone for awhile.

============================snip====================================================================

The capacity of li-ion batteries is reduced with age. This chemical process that relates to this is accelerated with increased temperature and charge level. To realise maximum battery life, cell packs should be stored around half full charge (optimum 40% charge) and in a cool and dry environment (around 15 degC, do not freeze).

=================================taken off of nora site=================================================
So, what temp does a li-ion freeze at ?

obviously you dont want a caving light because you are talking about bitter cold temperatures..........( Chad )

I know guys in Alaska and mountaineers that use them. How cold are you talking?..............( Kevin )

Anymore I can't see a cave use, but maybe once in awhile. Not wet environ. anyway.
For underground use,it would be as a backup ( a spare )in a mine environment. Permissible would be great, but I don't think nora is permissible, so not in a coal underground.
But as Chad noted that ain't where the cold question comes in.
That's for use at night in the snow, sometimes gettin down to -40, that's seldom but it happens.
However, quite often -20 to -30.
So, anybody know what a Li-ion freezes at ?
If as Kevin says they get used in AK.what kind of precautions needed to keep em from freezin ?
=====================================================================================================
I can make the battery pack with a longer cable so that you can wear it inside your suit or coat. ( Kevin)

That's what I'm lookin for , like the wheat lamp battery pack, extra run time , maybe under a parka or in a insulated bag on the frame.

thanks for the input.

fr73ed
fr73ed
Frequent Poster

Postby JHCAVER » Jun 29, 2012 2:47 pm

Get a Duo and put an Omni module in it from Custom Duo... they are as bright as a sten have 7 modes including an excellent flood they are about $125 US :kewl:
JHCAVER
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 58322
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Hill Grotto

Postby potholer » Jun 29, 2012 4:13 pm

If someone was looking for Duo unit, I'm also doing a twin beam one.

Max output is similar to the CD Omni, but the LEDs are independently controllable, with a selection of different operating modes.

There are 4 modes running basically like the 14LED unit does cycling through levels by briefly switching off and back on, but having 4 power levels, working the same way for both beams, with a useful memory function, and with the 4 modes offering differnet amounts of (fixed proportion) blending between the beams, from no blending all the way up to equal blending.

There is also a more advanced mode which allows the beams to be run independently at the same time, allowing all kinds of lighting levels and beam blends to be selected at will (and an extra version of that mode which is even better than the regular version at dealing with Duos with dodgy switches).

All those modes are available in one of three power ranges - 'standard' (max output power per LED ~140lm), a double-power 'high' range, and a 'boost' range where the highest setting is the same as in the high range for the first minute after selection, but after than gently drops to the max power of the standard range, giving access to the highest output for short uses (checking out chambers, shafts, etc but with a worst-case runtime only slightly shorter than the standard range.

Selection of modes and power ranges is surprisingly simple, and to assist in that without needing to carry a manual, when stepping through the available modes, the light not only displays the mode number by a series of flashes, but then goes into a repeating animation of how the mode works, cycling through the various power levels at the appropriate amount of blending.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby JHCAVER » Jun 29, 2012 4:40 pm

Do u have pics of this light and a price?
JHCAVER
Infrequent Poster

Postby potholer » Jun 30, 2012 4:19 pm

Info at http://www.bisun.co.uk/duotwin_main.html
The picture there isn't great - I'll try and get some better ones done when I finish the units currently on my desk (hopefully tomorrow).

The matte black colour is only really to avoid having the copper mounting plate slowly changing colour over time if left as bare metal, and to help hide the forward-facing wiring from view.

Minor cosmetic imperfections (like fingerprints) and the wiring seem to effectively disappear once the unit is mounted in a Duo headset.

I really need to try and simplify the descriptions/instructions, but it's tricky when there are so many configuration choices, and I've been occupied with finalising the program and trying to get at least some units built before I clear off for a month in Slovenia.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby JHCAVER » Jun 30, 2012 9:02 pm

Thanks I'll check it out for sure! :kewl:
JHCAVER
Infrequent Poster

Postby potholer » Jul 10, 2012 6:15 pm

If someone was interested in trying out one of my twin-beam Duo inserts, I have some made up but I'm off exploring in Slovenia in a couple of days and not back until late August.

If someone PMs me (soon) I could mail one unit off before I go for them to check out and see if what they think of it. (in the case of multiple PMS, I'll have to toss a coin or something).

For me, the ideal person would be someone who is underground fairly regularly, and who is also likely to try out a few of the modes, and spend at least some of the time using one of the more advanced independent control modes.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Equipment Forum