What would you pay for a headlamp?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: What would you pay for a headlamp?

Postby Chads93GT » Mar 8, 2012 8:20 am

fyi my panasonic 3100 mah 18650's which are supposed to be the most powerful ones on the market, not protected, but they do kick ass. Unfortuantely that will make just the battery pack alone cost at least $40. IM not sure how you build a pack, much less a charger for it that wont cook it, as im no electrical engineer, but yeah.

im guessing the head unit would be a milled piece of billit aluminum? I switched away to cabled head lamps due to shorting out. im not sure how to make this bullet proof.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby David Grimes » Mar 8, 2012 10:11 am

Yes, the head piece is billit aluminum. The battery pack is a whole other story, I do need to design some form of a pack that woud be durable enough to last in a cave. I really hate to spend so much time designing a durable caving light and use a cheap battery box.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby Cody JW » Mar 8, 2012 11:40 am

It seems to me no matter how well you build the battery box you can always get moisture in there when you go to change batteries in the cave with wet hands. I always leave mine open after each trip at home to make sure it stays dry. I guess that is why I have been using the same AA pack for 18 years. Try not to make one where the box door swings open like the HP-10 because that makes it harder to hard mount. Or try not to make it like The Apex where the wire is connected to the piece that slides out of the box. The Duo box is nice because you can change batteries without taking the Ecrin off. Something other than a recessed switch makes it easier to find with gloves on. Not sure if any of those suggestions are possible to keep it in that price range but if it is I would do so.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby David Grimes » Mar 8, 2012 11:55 am

That is the real benefit of designing everything, I can make the light what I want it to be. I really want to keep the cost reasonable so the light can sell at about $150 but I don't want to skimp on things just to keep the light cheap. I chose the $150 price tag because I see it as a reasonable price for a high quality light. I know lots of people buy sten lights and pay a lot of money for them but in my opinion $150 for a light is a very significant investment and I will likely never pay over $300 for a caving light. My goal is to make a light that will last for many years even in the harshest environments that most people could afford.
David Grimes
Admin

Postby Scott McCrea » Mar 8, 2012 12:46 pm

David, beware of the headlamp market. Think, plan, ask, interview and sleep on it before you invent any money. I know several cavers that have lost loads in the headlamp market. Technology changes overnight. Dozens of components that can turn a great light into junk. Somewhere out there is a great headlamp waiting to be made. Take your time and do it right.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby David Grimes » Mar 8, 2012 1:12 pm

Thanks Scott for the advice, those exact reasons have kept me from moving further forward then I am now. I know there is lots of competition with a lot more money to invest and the technology is changing everday. I may have the possibility to order a smaller quantity of parts one time so I can build some demos. I have also considered importing some lights that currently are not sold in the US market. The ideal of just being a reseller of someone elses products is appealing since I can still find great products and bring them to cavers without such a big investment of money.

I am still working this all out, I have many designs for caving products that I believe would be successful and hopefully in the future my finances will allow me to at least explore those options. I enjoy my work I do for a living and I am fortunate enough to be able to work from home and make my own schedule but I do have a second passion for creating caving products. If I could spend the rest of my life designing and selling products for cavers/climbers/hikers/etc I would be very happy. I am sure lots of others have those same ambitions and I know there is a very small chance that will happen but I never know if I don't try.
David Grimes
Admin

Postby potholer » Mar 9, 2012 3:26 pm

Depending on the size of the unit, it's possible that there are some people around who would be interested in buying a shell to put their own innards into.
Such people could at least help spread the cost of getting casings made up, and as long as the casing was decent quality, might be happier than most to sign up in advance than a full-lamp buyer would be, since they wouldn't have uncertainty about the contents.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Mar 9, 2012 3:49 pm

potholer wrote:Depending on the size of the unit, it's possible that there are some people around who would be interested in buying a shell to put their own innards into.

Count me as someone interested. The only thing I can't do at home is machine metal. The only difficult part is supporting different electronics (driver boards) and optics.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby rlboyce » Apr 28, 2012 4:04 pm

David, what's the latest on this project?
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby Caver John » Apr 29, 2012 9:46 am

Very interested. In fact, always interested in new headlamps. I wOuld lOve to do what your proposing.
One tip, make sure the settings are useful. I would want a setting in between 80 and 400 lumens. Say 250. El speleo light looks great but needs both flood and throw to operate at same time IMO.
Caver John
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Scag grotto

Postby David Grimes » Apr 29, 2012 11:27 am

Currently I have been busy with personal matters and a lot of other projects. I am looking for a cheaper way to manufacture the body at least for a prototype. I may end up going with a body more similar to some of the popular caving lights with a bolt in front lens and such. Part of the expense is the fact that everything in the original design sort of locked into itself which required more machining than just a round or square body would.

I still have not been able to get the money together to put together a batch of prototypes but I am still hoping to in the near future.
David Grimes
Admin

Postby rlboyce » Apr 29, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks for the update.
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby David Grimes » Apr 29, 2012 9:05 pm

No problem I had been planning to post an update but I have been procrastinating.
David Grimes
Admin

Postby crswaff » May 28, 2012 9:01 pm

I would pay 150 plus for a good light. When you get one working let us know where we can see it/ test it.
crswaff
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 64016
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum