Stenlight issues

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Stenlight issues

Postby slaybalj » Jul 31, 2012 7:23 am

kevinm wrote:Either you had a short or the light was left on and got too hot. It sounds like one of your LED's is fried, and those are the two most common causes. When one gets fried, it has a very high forward voltage, resulting in a weak total output. I'd either upgrade the LED's or upgrade the headlamp.

Kevin

Hmmm... I bet this is what happened to me then. I can even look at the LCDs when they're off and the right one looks significantly different from the left when they're off. I can't imagine a corrosion issue causing an LCD to have a different appearance when off unless the corrosion caused a short which caused the LCD to blow.

For now, I think I have to let it be. Right now, 90$ is a significant investment for me, esp. when I'll be lucky if I can go caving twice a year for the next two years or so.

Laura
slaybalj
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 58673
Primary Grotto Affiliation: DC

Re: Stenlight issues

Postby Jon » Aug 3, 2012 1:38 am

Is it the LED that looks different with the lens off and the buttons removed? You may have "frosted optics" in which case even off one side looks different than the other
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum