hp 10 vs 11

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: hp 10 vs 11

Postby Cody JW » Feb 17, 2012 7:47 pm

Brian, I just used zip ties on the head of the HP-10 and Industrial Velcro ( like what Sten uses on the battery packs) for the battery pack. On the Duo( with Custom Duo) I just used the screw holes already set in the head and battery pack . Quick and easy, just like it is supposed to be. Most newer lights require a strap assembly of some sort. I prefer an alternative to straps. Just wished some of the newer mfgrs. would have the foresight to have screw holes already set.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 17, 2012 8:26 pm

Just gonna throw this in

I used to have my apex's hard mounted

Then my hp10. Then my hp20. Now my spark and my zebra.

Did it all, battery packs. Head units. With small diameter bungee cord

Easy to install. Easy to remove for cleaning and light maintenance.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby 2.0 » Feb 18, 2012 9:09 am

Chad- I currently use a HP10, and it just keeps working despite being submurged, mud caked, and otherwise abused thoroughly. How would you rate the spark and zebra's waterproof and durability compared to Fenix?
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 23480
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Harrison Crawford County Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 18, 2012 11:36 am

2.0 wrote:Chad- I currently use a HP10, and it just keeps working despite being submurged, mud caked, and otherwise abused thoroughly. How would you rate the spark and zebra's waterproof and durability compared to Fenix?

I ruined 2 hp10s river cave surveying. I've trashed every corded battery pack light I have owned. Since the spark and zebras.
Have no cords I suspect in the long run they will last. They are still new to me and I don't cave every weekend anymore. Time will tell but I likethem. I. Love the reduced weight and bulk.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Feb 18, 2012 1:14 pm

It makes me wonder what lights are made for caving from the ground up. I could be wrong but I suspect many lights like the HP-10 and Apex and other reasonable priced lights are not really designed for caving. Think about it, there are not near as many cavers as their are fisherman , hunters, mountaineers and other outdoor types so why would a mfgr. design something to cater to our needs ?? Some people who do not get into lots of wet stuff may be able to use these lights for years with no problems. Sten is made for caving, so is The Rude Nora and I suspect Scurion is too . The Rude has been tested in sump diving and performed very well. Sten , Rude and Scurion all cost several hundred dollars ( or more) . Right now The Duo is the only cave light I am aware of that is designed from the drawing board up for caving by people who are familiar with real caving that does not cost several hundred dollars. Maybe Spark and Zebra will prove to be also, time will tell. Chad will put them to the test and we will see over time.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum