StenLight gone wonky?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

StenLight gone wonky?

Postby Aaron Addison » Feb 15, 2012 9:56 pm

I have a StenLight that I purchased in 2008, and would honestly say that it is the best caving light I have ever owned. Last week I decided to take the back plate off and clean the switch, including replacing the microscopic "o" ring and ball bearing. I reassembled everything and reattached the battery.

Now the light just comes on and stays on. It is not the brightest setting or lowest setting, but the switch doesn't appear to do anything. I am puzzled as to what happened. Has anyone else experienced this with a Sten? I tried to email Sten support at the address provided on their website http://www.stenlight.com/contact.htm but the message bounced.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

AA
------------------------------
Aaron Addison
Stop and ask yourself - "What is this map for?"
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

Re: StenLight gone wonky?

Postby Aaron Addison » Feb 15, 2012 10:33 pm

After some testing and a suggestion by a fellow MO caver, the magnet is missing....

Now accepting ideas for what to replace the little magnet with since I do not have a replacement....

Thanks,

Aaron
------------------------------
Aaron Addison
Stop and ask yourself - "What is this map for?"
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

Re: StenLight gone wonky?

Postby Jon » Feb 16, 2012 12:33 am

Ok does sound like the magnet is missing I have contacted Sten with some non problem questions...call them nerdy questions if you will but they have been quick and detailed in their response. Try contacting David.Niemi@stensat.org If that doesn't work personal message me and I'll try and dig another contact address up for you. Stens customer service has been nothing but the best from all I've heard. Maybe you just got an old dead address.

Let me know
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Return to Equipment Forum