Another LED light

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Another LED light

Postby Martin Sluka » Feb 9, 2012 2:46 am

Halama led light: http://www.vvku.eu/jurajh/ls1/index_e.html

For price contact producer.

Martin
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Martin Sluka
NSS #: 29010

Re: Another LED light

Postby potholer » Feb 9, 2012 7:56 am

That's interesting, especially the GUI with what looks like different buttons for selecting power level and blending mode.

The LED choice would suggest it was a little dated - not horribly inefficient compared to today's best, but what might have been expected to be made a few years ago.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Feb 9, 2012 8:05 am

I wonder why they went with the vertical arrangement of the LEDs. Tradition and the arrangement of human eyes suggests that horizontal would be better. Also, no images or info on the battery case.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby MUD » Feb 9, 2012 8:10 am

Scott McCrea wrote:I wonder why they went with the vertical arrangement of the LEDs.
:big grin: So it don't resemble a Sten? :laughing:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby potholer » Feb 9, 2012 8:54 am

Cavemud wrote:
Scott McCrea wrote:I wonder why they went with the vertical arrangement of the LEDs.
:big grin: So it don't resemble a Sten? :laughing:

Make a machined headset round, and (to a caver) it'll look somewhat like a Scurion, make it oval and it'll look somewhat like a Sten.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby potholer » Feb 9, 2012 9:00 am

Scott McCrea wrote:I wonder why they went with the vertical arrangement of the LEDs. Tradition and the arrangement of human eyes suggests that horizontal would be better. Also, no images or info on the battery case.

Maybe they wanted the buttons on the side?

To be honest, in a spot+flood light, I'm not sure that the LED orientation has a great influence on the usefulness of the beam, especially if the beam centres would only be about an inch or so apart anyway in a horizontal configuration.

Over much of the illuminated area, one LED will typically dominate the other one, even if they are both lit up.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Feb 9, 2012 9:33 am

Very interesting new light. I can't help but notice that it seems like nothing but cool white LED's are offered and, like potholer mentioned, they aren't exactly the latest. Just guessing but it may be that the light entered development before the latest generation of LEDs were out and the older LEDs were kept to avoid a re-design. That, or they have a cheap source those particular types.

Also, it seems that the amount of slack needed in the cable is higher than normal because of the way the light pivots near the bottom, and the cable enters near the top.

Interested to hear the price range of this one.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Return to Equipment Forum