Flying with Sten Light battery?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Flying with Sten Light battery?

Postby STLCaver » Feb 8, 2012 12:58 pm

Has anyone had any issues flying with the Sten Light battery? TSA website gives the OK for Lith Ion batteries, but mine does not have a label and is modified to make it more bomb proof (dipped in plasti dip a thousand times and wrapped in electrical tape) It looks like something nefarious, and I dont want any issues.
STLCaver
Occasional Poster

Name: Tony Schmitt
NSS #: 36269 RL-FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MVG-CRF

Re: Flying with Sten Light battery?

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Feb 8, 2012 1:30 pm

TSA has changed their mind several times about where you should pack Li Ion batteries. I have flown a few times recently and just put them in checked baggage. I used to bring them carryon (per TSA request). No problems ever either way. Mine too look rather nefarious, wrapped in electrical tape with wires sticking out. Probably not a bad idea to bring the little spec sheet that comes with the battery from Sten Inc. That should help clear things up if they start asking questions. My guess is that if you put it in checked, they won't even see or worry about it. If you have it carry-on, I would keep the lamp head and the spec sheet handy to avoid problems.

In other fun airport news: Apparently the ban on vertical gear in carry-on bags is back in force. Two weeks ago I had to leave the security line in Oaxaca and go back to the counter to put dirty ascenders and racks into my checked bag.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby STLCaver » Feb 8, 2012 1:46 pm

Thanks Andy, that helps. I didnt think about printing off the spec sheet. I think I am just going to put it in my checked bag and forget about it.
STLCaver
Occasional Poster

Name: Tony Schmitt
NSS #: 36269 RL-FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MVG-CRF

Postby Cody JW » Feb 8, 2012 2:00 pm

One thing I have found is DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING you hear or see from TSA. They may say this is OK or that is OK but it depends on who you are dealing with at that time. I have seen many times that they have on their website that this item is Ok and have found out otherwise when I got to the check point.I have also seen TSA at my departure airport allow me to take an item and then when I leave a different airport have TSA say that same item is not allowed. They do what the hell they want. The last time I flew from Indianapolis the airport website said you will only go through the body scan if you set off the metal detector, when I got there they were sending everybody at that checkpoint through the body scan , regardless of if they set the metal detector off or not. I had a couple layovers on that flight and watched what they did at other checkpoints and no body was going through scanners. They claim they have a set procedure for everything but they do not. They lie like a rug. I do not fly anymore . "Those who are willing to give up liberties for security , will end up with neither"- Thomas Jefferson.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby PeterFJohnson » Feb 8, 2012 4:00 pm

I fly quite a bit with vertical gear, rope, li-ion batteries etc. but almost always check it to avoid the hassle. I have never had a problem but every single time I fly, and I keep and eye out for it, I always find that "TSA was in your bag" flyer whenever I get my luggage back. I did once get a hard time for having 300' of rope as my carry on. They didn't stop me, but the security person looked awfully confused and a bit suspicious.

Anonymous_Coward wrote:In other fun airport news: Apparently the ban on vertical gear in carry-on bags is back in force. Two weeks ago I had to leave the security line in Oaxaca and go back to the counter to put dirty ascenders and racks into my checked bag.

What a pain Andy. Maybe they just prefer bobbins?
PeterFJohnson
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto + GVKS

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Feb 8, 2012 4:17 pm

Yeah in order to explain it the Mexican TSA guy picked up my micro-rack and started making a chopping motion with it towards the other guy's head. What an idiot. If I actually wanted to take somebody out I'd use the steel 6-bar!

Everybody knows you can't bludgeon somebody with a bobbin.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 8, 2012 4:44 pm

Anonymous_Coward wrote:Everybody knows you can't bludgeon somebody with a bobbin.

You mean the European Death Bobbin? :tonguecheek:

I don't have a Sten (boo hoo), but I've flown with batteries and home made gadgets with wires in my carry-on many times. Not to mention my vertical gear including micro rack. Never any problems, except about one time in four they x-ray my bag a second time. Of course I try not to look like a dirty hippy when I fly, and I keep my dirty looks and thoughts about the TSA on the inside. I really hope your recent restriction experience is only a subject spot decision or Mexican TSA thing and not a domestic US policy.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Feb 8, 2012 6:26 pm

NZcaver wrote:I've flown with batteries and home made gadgets with wires in my carry-on many times. Not to mention my vertical gear including micro rack.

Yeah, me too but not this time. I also heard from others on the trip that you have to check vertigear now. Of course, I fully agree with Jeff that there probably is no rule and the TSA does whatever the hell it wants whenever the hell it wants so YMMV. It's probably up to whoever is analyzing the x-ray screen where all your stuff shows up in different colors. This guy saw a bunch of metal implements he didn't like, and that was it. I explained that it was "equipo para explorar las cuevas", and that's when he picked up the micro-rack and mimed killing his buddy with it.

BTW, I resent the "try not to look like a dirty hippy" comment. Some of us have to try pretty hard and still don't quite pull it off. :shrug: Try not looking like a smug Kiwi and see how far YOU get. :big grin:

Keeping the dirty thoughts on the inside is the real hard part. Just ask my wife, who goes through the millimeter scan machine with middle fingers held high. Every time.

If they could just invent a car I could drive from Utah to places like China or Puerto Rico in less than 20 hours I'd be through with this whole airport game.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 8, 2012 9:34 pm

Anonymous_Coward wrote:Of course, I fully agree with Jeff that there probably is no rule and the TSA does whatever the hell it wants whenever the hell it wants so YMMV. It's probably up to whoever is analyzing the x-ray screen where all your stuff shows up in different colors. This guy saw a bunch of metal implements he didn't like, and that was it. I explained that it was "equipo para explorar las cuevas", and that's when he picked up the micro-rack and mimed killing his buddy with it.

That's exactly what it is - security 'professionals' (and I use that term very loosely) using subjective judgement instead of black and white rules. And to a point, it really does need to be that way. Of course their subjective judgement is different to our subjective judgement as travelers and cavers. Incidentally, I'm visualizing your Mexican guy miming killing his buddy with a rack and it amuses me. I would like to see that in cartoon.

BTW, I resent the "try not to look like a dirty hippy" comment. Some of us have to try pretty hard and still don't quite pull it off. :shrug: Try not looking like a smug Kiwi and see how far YOU get. :big grin:

My comment wasn't consciously directed at you, but if the knitted cap fits.... :tonguecheek: No, just kidding. Love you, man. :waving:

Keeping the dirty thoughts on the inside is the real hard part. Just ask my wife, who goes through the millimeter scan machine with middle fingers held high. Every time.

Tell Bonny she is my hero. :clap: I went through that machine in LAX a couple of weeks ago 'at random' (directed there instead of through the metal detector) and I contemplated protesting and succumbing to the alternative. But ultimately, the convenience of getting through security quickly and efficiently and catching my flight won out over making a token protest against new detection technology. I will use the Bonny technique next time.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Jon » Feb 9, 2012 2:29 am

TSA... Truly Stupid A--es. Gave up on flying years ago unless no other choice. They used to make you put a sticker on gun cases that said "unloaded firearm" on checked baggage. Duh is someone going to go in the cargo hold and load the thing and then Hijack the plane? If so they just made it easier to find it. I think the sticker was to inform baggage handlers what to steal. Case in point, years ago, at Dullas (SP?) a case so marked "Never Arrived" So I demanded the $3500 it was insured for and asked for the phone # of the State Police to report the interstate transportation of stolen firearms (major felony) Odd in just a few minutes they "found" the case (in the employee locker area) I had places to go and things to do and wasn't up for the whole court scene traveling to and fro so I let it ride. SInce then except for a death in the family I will not fly. Yeah I miss out on some things, like dealing with idiots that I wouldn't trust to walk a stray dog I picked up two days earlier.

It's a shame that people who are supposed to protect us have not a clue as to what they are seeing in the scanners. Reminds me of a press photographer years ago who mounted his SLR to a rifle stock to steady it. It takes a special kind of mind to think that if a guy was going to kill a public official that he would go to trouble to make a camera that shoots and then after all that make it look like a gun.

While I may not look like a "dirty hippie" I often could pass for a sterotypical biker. Haven't heard of them (or hippies) blowing up planes lately. Actually I don't think there are any of what were called "dirty hippies" left. They have become old hippies or cavers that are dirty. Nothing wrong with either one......both are held in higher esteem than most TSA officials.
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Postby bif » Feb 9, 2012 3:37 am

I might have missed something above, but just in case, my understanding is that airline policy is that any LI-ion batteries need to be in CARRY ON
bif
Frequent Poster

Name: john
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Wessex Cave Club

Postby Cody JW » Feb 9, 2012 10:42 am

I will say one thing about those full body scanners that costs taxpayers $$$$$$. On my last trip I took something prohibited ( those who know me can guess what that was) down in my underwear and went through the full body scan and they did not find it. I have also read of TSA audits where they send TSA agents through various checkpoints with prohibited items and they get through. The whole idea of TSA was a typical knee jerk reaction of government that spent untold amounts of money to make people think they are safer than before. If I can get through a checkpoint with something I am not supposed to have and I have no training what can a trained terrorist get through with ?? Meanwhile they shake down elderly ladies and small children and when questioned about it they always say " Our agents followed policy" , the idiots do not know the problem is their policy. If most people would do like myself and Jon and just not fly anymore and vote with their dollar it would put a stop to those Nazis. I apologize to any Nazis out there by drawing a comparison of TSA agents to them but it was the one word that came to mind.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Feb 9, 2012 10:47 am

bif wrote:I might have missed something above, but just in case, my understanding is that airline policy is that any LI-ion batteries need to be in CARRY ON

I think you may be right bif that this is actually not a TSA policy, but an airline policy. As such, the policy varies from carrier to carrier. Best to check the airline website for all the baggage fine print. That said, if anybody looks in your bags it will be TSA and not the airline, so maybe it doesn't matter.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Equipment Forum