Ecrin Roc Discontinued?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Ecrin Roc Discontinued?

Postby BrianFrank » Feb 13, 2012 7:34 am

Chads93GT wrote:
BrianFrank wrote:Just received my new Roc and tricked it out last night. Only thing missing is a Scurrion or Rude Nora....too much money :sad:

Are those the only three lights you carry?

I carry the LazerBrite clipped to my backpack! which I just received in the mail. A great versatile light! https://www.lazerbrite.com/pages/Caving.html
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby paul » Feb 18, 2012 10:47 am

paul wrote:I wonder if the withdrawl of Petzl Ecrin helmets only affects the US market. One of the well-known caving shop owners here in the UK who owns www.caveclimb.com says he has heard of this story via a US caver and when he checked with Lyon Equipment who are the Petzl distributors here in the UK, they said they have not heard anything about it from Petzl...

Apparently Lyon Equipment have confirmed that Petzl are stopping manufacturing the Ecrin helmet after all. The reason given was that the material it is made from had made it too expensive to continue manufacturing.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby tncaver » Feb 18, 2012 10:20 pm

paul wrote:
paul wrote:I wonder if the withdrawl of Petzl Ecrin helmets only affects the US market. One of the well-known caving shop owners here in the UK who owns www.caveclimb.com says he has heard of this story via a US caver and when he checked with Lyon Equipment who are the Petzl distributors here in the UK, they said they have not heard anything about it from Petzl...

Apparently Lyon Equipment have confirmed that Petzl are stopping manufacturing the Ecrin helmet after all. The reason given was that the material it is made from had made it too expensive to continue manufacturing.

If a profit can't be made at $100 a pop then they need to get out of the helmet business. Do you think maybe GREED might be a factor?
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby paul » Feb 19, 2012 11:50 am

tncaver wrote:
paul wrote:

If a profit can't be made at $100 a pop then they need to get out of the helmet business. Do you think maybe GREED might be a factor?

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that. But I know a local caving business who used to buy Edelrid climbing helmets and replace the harness with their own design and this helmet was VERY popular in the UK.

They had to stop doing it because they had to comply with regulations ("CE" mark, etc) and expensive test procedures, so making and selling helmets may not be as profitable as you imagine.

Also, according to http://www.europeanplasticsnews.com/subscriber/newscat2.html?cat=14&channel=400&id=1039, "European buyers faced higher standard thermoplastic prices in January for the first time since last autumn."
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Feb 19, 2012 12:21 pm

Thanks for the input Paul. I remember those same helmets costing much less just a few years ago, however, I bought one of those
$100 helmets anyway. BTW, I do believe the price was recently dropped by about $10. So, for those who want one of those Ecrin's,
now is a better time to buy one. And regardless of the price I do like mine. I used it this weekend. It fits a little different from
my old helmet but I really like being able to adjust the size with it on my head by twisting the adjusters on the sides.

paul wrote:Apparently Lyon Equipment have confirmed that Petzl are stopping manufacturing the Ecrin helmet after all. The reason given was that the material it is made from had made it too expensive to continue manufacturing.

tncaver wrote:If a profit can't be made at $100 a pop then they need to get out of the helmet business. Do you think maybe GREED might be a factor?

paul wrote:"Sorry, I don't know the answer to that. But I know a local caving business who used to buy Edelrid climbing helmets and replace the harness with their own design and this helmet was VERY popular in the UK.

They had to stop doing it because they had to comply with regulations ("CE" mark, etc) and expensive test procedures, so making and selling helmets may not be as profitable as you imagine.

Also, according to http://www.europeanplasticsnews.com/subscriber/newscat2.html?cat=14&channel=400&id=1039, "European buyers faced higher standard thermoplastic prices in January for the first time since last autumn."
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby paul » Feb 19, 2012 4:03 pm

tncaver wrote:Thanks for the input Paul. I remember those same helmets costing much less just a few years ago, however, I bought one of those
$100 helmets anyway. BTW, I do believe the price was recently dropped by about $10. So, for those who want one of those Ecrin's,
now is a better time to buy one.

Yes, the price can vary a bit as Petzl are French and their stuff is priced in Euros and the UD Dollar/Euro as well as the Pound Sterling/Euro exchange rates change. I paid 72 Pounds Sterling for one today here in the UK and at current exchange rates that's $114.

tncaver wrote:And regardless of the price I do like mine. I used it this weekend. It fits a little different from
my old helmet but I really like being able to adjust the size with it on my head by twisting the adjusters on the sides.

Same here. I'm not sure how the other Petzl helmets will last underground compared to the Roc. They will probably last a reasonable time when used for climbing/mountaineering, but using helmets underground tends to give them a harder life and the Roc seems a lot more sturdy than the alternative Petzl helmets.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby SMGCaver » Feb 20, 2012 8:45 pm

Buy an American made helmet.
SMGCaver
"Normal is a cycle on a washing machine"
SMGCaver
Infrequent Poster

Name: Chris Hacker
NSS #: 25006
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Cincinnati Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Feb 20, 2012 10:54 pm

SMGCaver wrote:Buy an American made helmet.

There are American made climbing helmets?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby David Grimes » Feb 20, 2012 10:59 pm

Well I didn't win the Karstsports contest so now I guess I either have to find my helmets or buy a new one. :sad:
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby BreaukenArrow » Feb 21, 2012 12:11 am

Did you get the E-mail about the 20% discount on your next purchase for participating in the sweepstakes?
BreaukenArrow
Infrequent Poster

Name: Beau Gergel
NSS #: 63846

Postby David Grimes » Feb 21, 2012 12:51 am

No I didn't get that message but that would be nice. That would make an ecrin roc the price it was a few years ago.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 21, 2012 9:48 am

I just need new headband padding for my roc. Wonder if I can find that stuff.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Feb 21, 2012 10:47 am

Chads93GT wrote:I just need new headband padding for my roc. Wonder if I can find that stuff.

Why not give Karst Sports a call. Maybe they can get those parts for you.
Karst Sports - Call Toll Free 1.800.734.2851
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Feb 22, 2012 7:59 am

Yahtaa wrote:Karst Sports just started a sweepstakes to win a yellow Ecrin Roc:

We are giving away a yellow Petzl Ecrin Roc helmet at the end of February to one lucky winner. To enter just click on the sweepstakes entry form on the left side of our fanpage. If we hit 7500 fans by 2/20 we will give away 2 Ecrin Roc helmets so make sure to tell all your friends to become a fan of our page which in effect doubles your chances of winning. You must be a fan of our page and a residence of the United States to be eligible to win.

Just visit their facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/karstsports

w00t w00t!

AMAZINGLY, I won a helmet! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I hardly ever win anything. THANKS, Karst Sports!
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby NZcaver » Feb 22, 2012 2:16 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:AMAZINGLY, I won a helmet! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I hardly ever win anything. THANKS, Karst Sports!

:clap: I'm visualizing this....

NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum