Ecrin Roc Discontinued?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Ecrin Roc Discontinued?

Postby Smells_Familiar » Feb 2, 2012 10:38 pm

boogercaver71 wrote:I have a Vertex Vent too, but find it to be uncomfortable and 50 times harder to adjust.

I have both the first and second generation Vertex Vent. IMO, the first Vertex Vent with the adjustment wheel on the back strap is not very comfortable. It's hard to find a good fit, and once it is adjusted correctly the back strap tends to move around on the nape of my neck after a while causing the fit to become sloppy and allowing the helmet to start flopping around. That, plus the fact your head is positioned so far forward in the helmet with only some thin padding between the front of your head and the shell of the helmet.

Now, the Vertex Vent "2" is a totally different story. The "Center Fit" adjustment system is a thing of beauty. It has two adjustment wheels, one at each temple. These center your head inside the helmet so there's a good gap between the front of your head and the shell of the helmet. There's also not so much emphasis on making sure the back head band thing is in the perfect position, and it also stays in place much better. Overall, I think the Vertex Vent "2" is very close to being perfect.

I picked mine up at Karst Sports when they had the 18% off sale last December. I use my original Vertex Vent as a loaner now.
Smells_Familiar
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 64838
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Postby boogercaver71 » Feb 2, 2012 11:55 pm

Smells_Familiar wrote:
boogercaver71 wrote:I have a Vertex Vent too, but find it to be uncomfortable and 50 times harder to adjust.

I have both the first and second generation Vertex Vent. IMO, the first Vertex Vent with the adjustment wheel on the back strap is not very comfortable. It's hard to find a good fit, and once it is adjusted correctly the back strap tends to move around on the nape of my neck after a while causing the fit to become sloppy and allowing the helmet to start flopping around. That, plus the fact your head is positioned so far forward in the helmet with only some thin padding between the front of your head and the shell of the helmet.

Now, the Vertex Vent "2" is a totally different story. The "Center Fit" adjustment system is a thing of beauty. It has two adjustment wheels, one at each temple. These center your head inside the helmet so there's a good gap between the front of your head and the shell of the helmet. There's also not so much emphasis on making sure the back head band thing is in the perfect position, and it also stays in place much better. Overall, I think the Vertex Vent "2" is very close to being perfect.

I picked mine up at Karst Sports when they had the 18% off sale last December. I use my original Vertex Vent as a loaner now.

Thanks for the info. I had not realized there was a generation 2
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby potholer » Feb 3, 2012 7:24 am

boogercaver71 wrote:Thanks for the info. I had not realized there was a generation 2

Neither had I - I've used an original Vertex on a few trips recently while trying out various Duo inserts I've been making, and I really hate the cradle/adjustment system on it - however I play with it, it seems to end up sloppier than my Ecrin even if tightened up uncomfortably.

Given my existing Ecrin is into middle age, I was about to go straight off and buy another one this weekend, but I guess I should at least have a look at the Vertex first.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 3, 2012 6:20 pm

actually I believe the primary difference between the "best" (ANSI and CSA rated)and the "vent" model is a higher electrical resistance and molten metal rating (the vent has holes...). Both are rated the same for high chinstrap retention.

The "ST" (no holes) has 1/2 the chinstrap retention strength and is designed to break away upon snagging. For caving applications I would argue that any of them would be fine.

The ST breakaway function might actually be preferred, as opposed to hanging suspended from your helmet in a narrow slot or snagged in a awkward crawl. Top impacts from rocks shouldnt affect it. I suppose it would be less desirable if being struck by multiple falling rocks exerting the equivent (I think) of 50lbs force each, especially glancing ones, but at that point things are gonna be bad either way :yikes:
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Dwight Livingston » Feb 3, 2012 9:13 pm

Smells

I just today received my second Vertex Vent, and it is second generation. I got the first one because it fit me better than an Ecrin. The new one, as you say, is better than the first generation - more comfortable, more vent, easier to open and close, easier to fit. Has a built-in blade mount, though that's a bit short for a Sten blade. (I'm thinking of cutting open the bottom of the blade pocket, rather than attach a mount.) If you try one on, remember to give the chin straps a tug down in the back after you put it on, to set them right. Very comfortable after that. (There's even a little picture of that in the instructions, hard to figure out unless you've done it.)

Dwight
Dwight Livingston
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby polrbear » Feb 4, 2012 10:02 am

I hadn't seen that there was a second generation Vertex Vent. This might be an option in the not-so-near future. My first generation fit poorly, so I leave it at a Wisconsin cave where I can't bring my other helmet. It sounds like they made some big improvements in that regard for the generation II. How does the blade mount work for those who have one, and what changes are being made to fit a Stenlight?

I still plan to buy a couple of Ecrins before they're gone (so, this weekend). My current helmet still has some time left, but the straps are showing wear and it's a bit beat up. I just replaced the foam in October, so I hope there's some life left in it.
polrbear
Infrequent Poster

Name: Dustin
NSS #: 56096
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Minnesota Speleological Survey

Postby Yahtaa » Feb 7, 2012 11:13 am

Karst Sports just started a sweepstakes to win a yellow Ecrin Roc:

We are giving away a yellow Petzl Ecrin Roc helmet at the end of February to one lucky winner. To enter just click on the sweepstakes entry form on the left side of our fanpage. If we hit 7500 fans by 2/20 we will give away 2 Ecrin Roc helmets so make sure to tell all your friends to become a fan of our page which in effect doubles your chances of winning. You must be a fan of our page and a residence of the United States to be eligible to win.

Just visit their facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/karstsports

w00t w00t!
Derrick Mull
Triforce Underground
NSS#63556
SCCi#2965 (sustaining)
"Quench and squelch! You'll get through that hole."
Yahtaa
Occasional Poster

Name: Derrick Mull
NSS #: 63556

Postby BrianFrank » Feb 8, 2012 1:56 pm

Just received my new Roc and tricked it out last night. Only thing missing is a Scurrion or Rude Nora....too much money :sad:
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby PeterFJohnson » Feb 8, 2012 3:47 pm

Dwight Livingston wrote:Has a built-in blade mount, though that's a bit short for a Sten blade. (I'm thinking of cutting open the bottom of the blade pocket, rather than attach a mount.)

While I haven't done it to my vertex, I have seen other cavers do what you are suggesting with good results. Apparently it is a pretty easy job with a dremel.
PeterFJohnson
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto + GVKS

Postby Dwight Livingston » Feb 8, 2012 5:57 pm

Peter

Thanks, I was planning to attack it this evening, so it's nice to hear others have had success.

Dwight
Dwight Livingston
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby David Grimes » Feb 8, 2012 8:14 pm

Yahtaa wrote:Karst Sports just started a sweepstakes to win a yellow Ecrin Roc

Good, hopefully I will win since I have misplaced both my ecrin rocs. I hate to have to borrow a helmet to go caving. Unfortunately I have also misplaced my GPS and most of my lights as well, I guess they are all somewhere together in my house.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby tncaver » Feb 9, 2012 8:45 am

David Grimes wrote:
Yahtaa wrote:Karst Sports just started a sweepstakes to win a yellow Ecrin Roc

Good, hopefully I will win since I have misplaced both my ecrin rocs. I hate to have to borrow a helmet to go caving. Unfortunately I have also misplaced my GPS and most of my lights as well, I guess they are all somewhere together in my house.

David,
Sounds like you have become an armchair caver. :laughing: Surely there are some good caves within driving distance.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby David Grimes » Feb 9, 2012 1:03 pm

Actually there are tons of great caves a very short distance from me right now since I am back in Harrison County Indiana. I was going on regular trips but then I started traveling for months at a time between Florida and Indiana. I have been spending a lot of hours working and my caving gear kind of got neglected. I actually have made plans all along to go caving in Florida and here in Indiana but something always seems to come up.

I have a little more free time now so I really want to get back underground soon.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby paul » Feb 10, 2012 10:48 am

I wonder if the withdrawl of Petzl Ecrin helmets only affects the US market. One of the well-known caving shop owners here in the UK who owns www.caveclimb.com says he has heard of this story via a US caver and when he checked with Lyon Equipment who are the Petzl distributors here in the UK, they said they have not heard anything about it from Petzl...
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 12, 2012 7:10 pm

BrianFrank wrote:Just received my new Roc and tricked it out last night. Only thing missing is a Scurrion or Rude Nora....too much money :sad:

Are those the only three lights you carry?
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum