CONCEPT FRIDAY - Compass/Clino Case #2

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

CONCEPT FRIDAY - Compass/Clino Case #2

Postby Rick Brinkman » Jan 27, 2012 2:31 am

I went with video this time.
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Re: CONCEPT FRIDAY - Compass/Clino Case #2

Postby Rick Brinkman » Jan 27, 2012 11:14 am

If you don't want to watch the whole video....skip to 2:10. That's where I test the case with a hammer.
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Jan 27, 2012 11:30 am

Good test. And, good work. Let us know what you do with the closure.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Rick Brinkman » Jan 27, 2012 11:38 pm

Thanks Scott!

I have a few micro side-release buckles on the way. They should be here next week sometime. I'm thinking 2 elastic straps buckled over the "top". That will keep the eyepiece(s)open.

I know it LOOKS the same as last week....but as far as construction goes...this is a HUGE leap forward. I hope next week will be another big leap forward.

PS If any of you think it was easy for me to take a hammer to my ONLY set of instruments.................. :hairpull:
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cavermax » Jan 28, 2012 7:31 am

The case is sweet I like not having to take out my instruments and hate having to switch back and forth between compass and clino. My only concern would be the build up of sand and grit between the lens of the instrument and the material holding the lexan. The pocket holding the lexan needs to be sealed as well otherwise you will be replacing them every other trip. What about a three sided flap maybe with holes for the eyepieces. You could seal this down tight against the instruments with some Velcro. It could possibly be made like a cap as well that fits down over the top this might be better or easier.
:bat sticker:
Cavermax
Occasional Poster

Name: Chris Caswell

Postby Rick Brinkman » Jan 29, 2012 7:24 pm

Cavermax wrote:The case is sweet I like not having to take out my instruments and hate having to switch back and forth between compass and clino. My only concern would be the build up of sand and grit between the lens of the instrument and the material holding the lexan. The pocket holding the lexan needs to be sealed as well otherwise you will be replacing them every other trip. What about a three sided flap maybe with holes for the eyepieces. You could seal this down tight against the instruments with some Velcro. It could possibly be made like a cap as well that fits down over the top this might be better or easier.
:bat sticker:

Thanks!

I don't think that the dirt buildup between the clear vinyl(the pocket material) and the instrument will be that big of a deal. Does the pocket itself need to be sealed??? Maybe. If so...I'll use velcro...and this will be the only place velcro will be used.

Even if dirt gets in and starts scratching the Lexan, or even worse, the instrument itself......I still don't think it's that big of a deal. Why do I think that? It's RARE that you use the instrument from the side. These are siting instruments. If anyone else believes that I'm thinking wrong...please let me know.

Cavemax...What are you using for cases now?
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cavermax » Feb 4, 2012 1:46 pm

Cavemax...What are you using for cases now?

Not having a set of my own, I have only used the cases of others. Everyone of those has been the original manufacturers case predominantly Suntos! I have always disliked the cases that I have used. Every case seems to have the same flaw, in that you have to remove the instrument from the case to use it. This exposes the instrument to mud, water, sand, etc. I have had to dig mud out of the eyepiece and off the light window and I hate doing this. Each time you do so, you risk scratching and clouding the light window, when you scratch the light window it reduces the ability to read the instrument through the eye piece . That’s why I was keen on your design. Just remember if there is a way in, even the tiniest of ways, the water, grit, and mud will get in there, and then It only takes a tiny amount of friction to start the grit scratching and clouding the lens and light window of your new Suntos.I have used many sets of instruments where you could barely read the instrument due to clouding of the window or scratching of the lens. The single case idea is cool by the way, and it may be the better design since it has a lower profile, although I was really excited to see how you resolved the issue of the double case cover. :bat sticker:
Cavermax
Occasional Poster

Postby Rick Brinkman » Feb 4, 2012 2:55 pm

Thanks Cavemax!

My next design should help with most of your concerns. However...it's still going to have an open eyepiece. I don't have a clue how to fix that. One thing at a time. :tonguecheek:

I'm starting to wonder if the "cure" is a clear hard case....similar to waterproof camera cases.
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Feb 4, 2012 3:21 pm

Rick Brinkman wrote:Thanks Cavemax!

My next design should help with most of your concerns. However...it's still going to have an open eyepiece. I don't have a clue how to fix that. One thing at a time. :tonguecheek:

I'm starting to wonder if the "cure" is a clear hard case....similar to waterproof camera cases.

Ah, clensilingus. Try instrument tape. Works great for me.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Rick Brinkman » Feb 4, 2012 4:17 pm

Hmmm...tape will work. Wish I would have thought of that before my instruments got mud in them.....

Went looking through your blog. I had completely forgotten about Sight Lights. For a while, I was thinking about painting the Lexan with strontium paint. :doh:
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cavermax » Feb 4, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks Cavermax!

My next design should help with most of your concerns. However...it's still going to have an open eyepiece. I don't have a clue how to fix that. One thing at a time.

You know a hard case would be a great idea, it could take a real beating without damaging the instrument. The weight would not be a considerable difference from the cloth prototypes? I am sure that you could have a case blown that could maybe work like the Otter covers for I phones. There could be a replaceable eyepiece window set into the plastic body sealed by a o ring or the seal of the body itself . You may be able to find a rubber grommet with a groove on the inside center and a flange or the outside edges that will seal around the edges of the eyehole for your cloth case. Then you could just insert a replaceable lens into the grommet whenever you needed to. :bat sticker:
Cavermax
Occasional Poster

Postby Rick Brinkman » Feb 9, 2012 12:43 pm

I was all set to build the "final" double case today. But it occurred to me why it isn't going to work.

There is almost 1 inch of case and clinometer below the compass. That is too much "stuff" under the compass to make it useful when the next station is below the current station.(which is what many survey shots are when surveying a cave.)

A side-by-side case might work, but that will need a complete redesign of the case. I probably won't be able to come up with it by tomorrow.....

Tomorrow's project will probably be two single cases with a comfortable neck strap.
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Equipment Forum