Knee pad foam for cave suit?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Knee pad foam for cave suit?

Postby dutchcontractor » Jan 20, 2012 9:31 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions what to use in the knee pad pockets in a caving suit? If so where can you buy it?

I tried memory foam, worked pretty good until they got wet, they turned into 10 lbs weights! :down:
dutchcontractor
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 62972
Primary Grotto Affiliation: SMG

Re: Knee pad foam for cave suit?

Postby MUD » Jan 20, 2012 10:20 pm

Closed cell foam. Go to Wally World and get a camping/exercise mat. You'll get plenty of padding from one of them.
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight Livingston » Jan 20, 2012 10:54 pm

I am interested also. Don't get polyethylene foam. I tried a polyethylene foam camping pad, and that stuff gave up about a hour into the trip. I've also used neoprene foam, and that did not do so well. I suspect that the closed cell foam rubber (PVC/Nitrile Butadiene Rubber) would work best, but I haven't tried it yet - see http://www.closedcellfoams.com/gymnasticrubber.html.

Dwight
Dwight Livingston
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby dutchcontractor » Jan 20, 2012 11:07 pm

Dwight Livingston wrote:I am interested also. Don't get polyethylene foam. I tried a polyethylene foam camping pad, and that stuff gave up about a hour into the trip. I've also used neoprene foam, and that did not do so well. I suspect that the closed cell foam rubber (PVC/Nitrile Butadiene Rubber) would work best, but I haven't tried it yet - see http://www.closedcellfoams.com/gymnasticrubber.html.

Dwight

That looks good! How thick? 1/2"? Medium density or firm? I wonder how heavy that stuff is.
dutchcontractor
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 62972
Primary Grotto Affiliation: SMG

Postby Smells_Familiar » Jan 21, 2012 1:18 am

Dwight Livingston wrote:I am interested also. Don't get polyethylene foam. I tried a polyethylene foam camping pad, and that stuff gave up about a hour into the trip. I've also used neoprene foam, and that did not do so well. I suspect that the closed cell foam rubber (PVC/Nitrile Butadiene Rubber) would work best, but I haven't tried it yet - see http://www.closedcellfoams.com/gymnasticrubber.html.

Dwight

Thanks Dwight!

That medium density black looks just like what's in my Howitzers.
Smells_Familiar
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 64838
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Postby MoonshineR DavE » Jan 23, 2012 8:02 am

I'll have to agree with Cavemud on this one. I use the foam bed rolls from wal-mart. And when you stop to take a rest you can pull one out to sit on to keep from getting the heat sucked out of ya.
MoonshineR DavE
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Equipment Forum