CONCEPT FRIDAY - Compass/Clino Case #1

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

CONCEPT FRIDAY - Compass/Clino Case #1

Postby Rick Brinkman » Jan 20, 2012 11:16 am

As you can see, this project needs a LOT more work. However, I learned what NOT to do, which will help on the next attempt.

The idea is to protect the instrument modules, combine the instruments into one unit, and design a case that doesn't have to be removed while in use.

It will have the instruments back-to-back. A clear vinyl pocket will hold a sheet of Lexan to protect the module on each side. I also want each side to be color coded....makes it easy to know which instrument is which.

Image Image
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Re: CONCEPT FRIDAY - Compass/Clino Case #1

Postby batrotter » Jan 20, 2012 12:03 pm

Nice case but I don't understand how you can use the instruments and not take them out of the case?
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby Rick Brinkman » Jan 20, 2012 12:17 pm

The "clear vinyl/Lexan window" lets you light up the dials just like you would out of the case. Keep in mind...this version doesn't have any means of holding the instruments in. I'm not that far in the design yet.

The closure system will either have a hole for each instrument or a clear vinyl covering. I'm not sure how that's going to work out yet. FIRST, I have to get the basic design nailed down.
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Amazingracer » Jan 21, 2012 12:17 am

I like the idea, but would the clino housing not screw with the compass being that close to it?

I know our Tandems go bonkers if they get close to another Tandem, figured it was the same for the split pairs too.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Rick Brinkman » Jan 21, 2012 1:22 am

Ya know...........??

I was so focused on a "new sewing project" that I didn't think of the possible clino/compass issue until this afternoon(after I published my project). I tested MY instruments....and there was no problem.

Could you all test YOUR instruments(Suuntos and Bruntons and ???) back to back and see if there is a deflection?

If there is.....time to quit THIS project right now.Then I'll go to an easier-to-sew single instrument case.

I really think headlamps will have more of a deflection issue than a clinometer. BUT.....I haven't had a problem with my Apex headlamp.....don't know about the newer or higher power headlamps.
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jan 21, 2012 10:28 am

I am speaking based purely on logic and I know little about these things...
Putting two compasses together (as in the case of Tandems) would obviously create havoc. They are both magnetic. I don't believe a clinometer has any magnetic properties. It's all about gravity, and that's why a clino and compass han be housed in a single unit (Tandem) so close together.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Amazingracer » Jan 21, 2012 4:30 pm

Rick, we dont have any split pairs, just 4 Suunto Tandems. We have not actually tried them back to back, but when we set them all out in a line right next to each other the needle jumped.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Return to Equipment Forum