Concept Friday

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Concept Friday

Postby Rick Brinkman » Jan 9, 2012 1:34 pm

I'm going to create a new project every week in 2012. I'll try and keep it to sewing projects, but if I run out of ideas or suggestions I'll put up whatever I can.

I intend to show whatever I make. It won't matter if it's a "finished" project or not. It's going up. (No pressure there, right???) :roll:

I'll be making some caving gear, but I also might be making gear for: metal detecting, hiking, skiing, camping, hunting/shooting, photography, or ????

So far, I've only posted on G+, but I'll probably start putting stuff up on Facebook too. I'll also be creating a page on the Coffee Creek Gear website.
I'll definitely be posting the caving gear here. If it's ok...and if anyone is interested....I'll post the other stuff too. (let me know)

I'm always open to ideas and suggestions...so fire away!!

Here are the first three projects. I'll keep the descriptions to a minimum on this post.

Week #1 Sheath(s) for Lesche digger - metal detecting
I was just trying to make a better sheath than the one that comes with the Lesche. Improvements are: Open bottom to let dirt/mud out and an experimental plastic "wear bar".
ImageImage

Week #2 Improved Leshe Sheath - metal detecting
I thought the previous week's project(s) looked a little crude. I tried to make this one "prettier". Open bottom to let dirt/mud out. The plastic wear bar is too hard to sew, so I used flat webbing. Added "molle" attachment points...mostly for looks. It was suggested to me that the last sheaths might need to be stiffer, so I sewed flat webbing onto the back.
ImageImage

Week #3 Slip-On Gear Loop - Caving
I've had this project on my mind for a while. I've always wanted better/bigger gear loops on my backup harness. This is based on the same design as my Comfort Strap Kit. Built around the anti-slip 2 inch webbing, the gear loop slips on over any harness built from 2 inch webbing. I'm also showing a couple of other attempts.
ImageImage

THIS FRIDAY - "FINAL" SLIP-ON GEAR LOOP

Rick
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Re: Concept Friday

Postby Scott McCrea » Jan 9, 2012 2:10 pm

Great idea, Rick!

Sheath: as I'm sure you know, velcro and mud don't mix. Would an elastic loop work in place of the velcro strap?

Loops: make some that mimic the standard yellow loop on the harness in the pic. Just for different options. On climbing harnesses, the gear loops usually stick out a little for easy access. Probably not a good idea for caving harnesses, because they would snag stuff. So, I like what you did there. I always add gear loops to my harnesses, but I have a sewing machine and just sew it directly to the harness. But, those that don't sew, this is great. I think you could sell a bunch of these.

G+: I don't use it. I'll eagerly check your Facebook and website tho. I love this stuff!
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Jan 9, 2012 3:58 pm

Kudos to you, Rick. :clap: I love this stuff too.

Also having access to sewing machines (or at least an awl) I tend to add gear loops directly to the harness. I like the convenience of a loop or two but there is that inevitable snag factor.

You're welcome to keep this going in Open Talk, but giving the caving related nature of many of these designs I'd have no objection to them being in the equipment forum. Years ago our previous forum administrator used to periodically prune (delete) old Open Talk topics but I don't think we do that any more.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby David Grimes » Jan 9, 2012 4:23 pm

You can always post pics in the marketplace forum for your gear loops and such and take orders from Cavechat members.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby Rick Brinkman » Jan 9, 2012 7:04 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Great idea, Rick!

Sheath: as I'm sure you know, velcro and mud don't mix. Would an elastic loop work in place of the velcro strap?

Loops: make some that mimic the standard yellow loop on the harness in the pic. Just for different options. On climbing harnesses, the gear loops usually stick out a little for easy access. Probably not a good idea for caving harnesses, because they would snag stuff. So, I like what you did there. I always add gear loops to my harnesses, but I have a sewing machine and just sew it directly to the harness. But, those that don't sew, this is great. I think you could sell a bunch of these.

G+: I don't use it. I'll eagerly check your Facebook and website tho. I love this stuff!

Sheath: Velcro doesn't seem to be a problem for the "hold down". Metal detecting isn't NEARLY as dirty as caving.
Loops: I'll make a couple of different versions for Friday and see what people like more. The final version will have tubing over the webbing loop. It's easy to make the loops hang out more if desired...just install it "upside-down". :tonguecheek: I'll have pics on Friday.

NZcaver wrote:Kudos to you, Rick. :clap: I love this stuff too.

Also having access to sewing machines (or at least an awl) I tend to add gear loops directly to the harness. I like the convenience of a loop or two but there is that inevitable snag factor.

You're welcome to keep this going in Open Talk, but giving the caving related nature of many of these designs I'd have no objection to them being in the equipment forum. Years ago our previous forum administrator used to periodically prune (delete) old Open Talk topics but I don't think we do that any more.

Thanks. I'll post the caving gear in the equipment forum from now on. I'll post the other stuff here....until someone wants me to stop.

David Grimes wrote:You can always post pics in the marketplace forum for your gear loops and such and take orders from Cavechat members.

:doh: I should have thought of that a LONG time ago.
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rlboyce » Jan 10, 2012 6:36 pm

That slip on loop is a friggin' awesome idea.
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby Rick Brinkman » Jan 10, 2012 9:21 pm

rlboyce wrote:That slip on loop is a friggin' awesome idea.

THANKS!!

I just got back from town. So, I now have the parts to make it the way I intended. I'll post it on Friday...and see what the feedback is....
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Equipment Forum