Form-fitting Caving Suits

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Form-fitting Caving Suits

Postby Cody JW » Dec 30, 2011 7:09 pm

I agree with Anmar. Like him I cave in Indiana ( some of the time) and find jeans comfortable and cheap because I can use my old jeans. I wear a single layer poly pro under them for stream caves or for winter walks to the cave. I have been in chest deep water in jeans and poly pro and have been wet but comfortable. In dry TAG caves I wear jeans and T-shirt and never get cold. I have a custom suit and never wear it. For wetsuit caves a suit would be nice to wear over a shorty or farmer john or wet vertical but that is about it for me.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Scott McCrea » Jan 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Here's some relatively form-fitting coveralls made from kevlar. Made for motorcyclists and a bit pricy. Post a review if anyone gives them a try.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby marylizrose » Aug 27, 2013 8:48 pm

I am very interested in hearing from cavers about exactly what they would like to see in a caving suit. I know all about technical outerwear as I designed it for many years. I am so disgusted with what is out in the market that I have decided to just make my own. But I am not interested in wearing some bulky diaper padded Neanderthal looking suit....I want to feel that I can breath, move, climb, crawl, swim (if I have to)......etc.
I understand we need suits to fit different environments....hot, arid, dry, wet, muddy, aha or pahoehoe lava....etc. I am interested in hearing what features cavers would like to see included in their suits.......do you want to be able to do #1 and #2 without taking your suit off? Do you want to be able to store survey equipment in special pockets or do you expect to carry a bag with all that in it? How much do you expect to sweat (or how much is not tolerable) in your suit? Do you want a form fitting suit, somewhere between a wet suit and a pair of overalls? Would you like stretch areas in your crotch, underarms, lower back?
I have so many ideas I can't sleep at night......but I'd like to hear from anyone who wants to rant about what they want.
Thanks!
marylizrose
New Poster

NSS #: 61826
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Redwood Grotto

Postby harrym » Oct 23, 2013 5:24 pm

Here is a typical caver in a form-fitting caving suit:

Harry Marinakis
NSS #42832 Life
IUS Commission on Volcanic Caves
NACD Full Cave Diver
Monongahela Grotto, West Virginia
harrym
Prolific Poster

Name: Harry Marinakis
NSS #: 42832 Life
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela Grotto

Postby CaverCSE » Oct 25, 2013 9:32 am

The classic TAG outfit in warm to hot caves is to wear any type of cheap poly tights/thermals with ether cutoff jean shorts or dickey work shorts over top and then 2 to 4 pairs of cheap softball slider knee pads stacked up and down your leg (what we call knee armor). Then just a cotton tee shirt for a top (with long sleeve poly backup shirt in your pack just in case) Usually you can get the whole setup for cheap if you go to Goodwill often...
CaverCSE
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 49706
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Upper Cumberland Grotto and Spencer Mountain Grotto

Postby CaverCSE » Oct 25, 2013 9:41 am

Also, I always thought baseball pants would be wonderful caving pants...you'd just look so ridiculous wearing them.. and for knee pad stacking, put a few pairs of cheap ones over top of the good ones so the cheap ones take most of the abuse..
CaverCSE
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 49706
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Upper Cumberland Grotto and Spencer Mountain Grotto

Postby LukeM » Oct 28, 2013 8:36 am

If looking for a slimmer more form-fitting suit it can be useful to look to the European brands. As a slim guy I have been very happy with my Landjoff suit which actually was pretty baggy, but easy to tailor to my needed dimensions.

Internal elasticized suspenders are a great feature that I've come to really love. Crotch-sag, the sworn mortal enemy of leg flexibility, is eliminated. The trick is to cross them in an X so they stay on the shoulders. Also, wrist and ankle cuffs are an often overlooked area for improvement. A nice wide and very low profile velcro adjustment is good. For the ankles an internal adjustment that can't hang up on cave surfaces would be ideal. With wellies or other high top boots it's great to be able to cinch the ankles around the boot to keep silt and gravel out.

Elasticized foot stirrups are another design possibility to keep the suit where you want it, but there is no one size fits all solution. They would have to be tailored or adjustable. They also might not work well in conjunction with suspenders.

When it comes down to it any sufficiently form-fitting suit just has to be custom tailored.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby mostlytree » Dec 7, 2013 10:40 pm

if you guys are interested in some really tough clothes. I would look at arborwear or pfanner the stuff is light thin, protective and tough as can be. its made for tree work, I have pants that have been in full production and they stll look new, the stuff simply will not rip. I have had stubs get caught on me and I have actually hung my entire weight on a stick that was trying to poke though the material. kevlar knee pads. and all. pants are 150$ ish but in my line of work a pair of jeans last about 2 days. I mean in two days I will get arrested if i try to wear them to the grocery. I have never thrown out a pair of tree pants, ever. but you have to get the good ones, arbor wear makes cotton, and they are tough but I have destroyed them. the ascenders are the good ones. pfanner is actually even nicer but a bit more.
M
mostlytree
Infrequent Poster

Postby msm0711 » Dec 26, 2013 4:54 pm

In the Tag Caves I frequent,I prefer just a light shirt with a long sleeve over shirt that can be packed away when needed. My personal preference is a Dakine Rash Guard (for surfing) with an Addidas Soccer Goalie Jersey on top. Both are quick drying, abrasion resistant and relatively cheap when bought at sale prices ($15/$35). The goalie jerseys are tight but stretchable and robust, have tight cuffs on the wrist, and have light pads from the wrist to the elbow. The pads are thin, but add a layer of protection over my elbow/forearm pads.
msm0711
Frequent Poster

Name: Michael McBride
NSS #: 65541

Postby Biggimo1 » Mar 2, 2014 8:48 pm

Does anyone know Cavemud's website name?
Biggimo1
Occasional Poster

Postby MUD » Mar 4, 2014 7:44 am

:waving: Brother Mud has no website. PM sent!
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby nathanroser » May 8, 2014 8:18 pm

I'm looking to get a nice durable custom tailored suit. I do not want a PVC suit since that would be too warm, and preferably it be purple or black. I wanted to order one from B&C Wunderwear but I don't know if the business is still making the suits. Anyone know that situation is or another good company for good suits?
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Caving Guru » May 8, 2014 9:34 pm

Since Cecile died from B&C Wunderwear there are no longer any more suits being made by B&C Wunderwear. I think Cecile's family is trying to sell the remainder of what Cecile had in stock when she died in February. So why do you want a purple caving suit?
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LWB » Jun 1, 2014 5:13 pm

There are still a few suits (and bibs) remaining in the B&C Wunderwear stock. Probably about 1/4 of what existed when Cecile died. The Inventory of Deluxe Suits, Bibs and some kid's suits are listed on the B&C Wunderwear website:

http://www.bcwunderwear.com/

If there is one in your size it is your last chance.
LWB
Prolific Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum