Clean Shoes for sensitive caves

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Clean Shoes for sensitive caves

Postby Scott McCrea » Dec 20, 2011 8:50 am

These shoes look perfect for clean shoes. When you need to take off your muddy boots and wear clean shoes while crossing something white or sensitive areas. They are small, compact, lightweight, don't absorb water and cheap ~$13. Shipping from Spain costs more that the shoes, so maybe we could convince one of the caving vendors to stock a few. 01M from OneMoment.

Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Re: Clean Shoes for sensitive caves

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Dec 20, 2011 10:19 am

Looks interesting, definitely small and lightweight.

My concern is that the shoes are 100% biodegradable and made from organic matter. I'm thinking the microbiologists might discourage the use of these in caves like Lechuguilla, where there is much concern about contaminating the micro-ecosystem. From the website, it is hard to determine just what these shoes are made of. It mentions vegetal material, and "fossil organic" material. What is that? Sounds kind of like petroleum to me.

We are already discouraged from wearing natural fibers in Lech, like cotton. I'm thinking that shoes made out of vegetables might be a problem. Plus, I have seen lots of things biodegrade rapidly after just a week in that cave.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Return to Equipment Forum