Rude Nora caving light by Little Monkey

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Rude Nora caving light by Little Monkey

Postby rlboyce » Dec 31, 2011 12:46 am

:duel:

:tonguecheek:
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 31, 2011 12:59 am

I have to inject this bit o humor. I think all cavers could afford a scurion easily. They simply prefer to spend the extra money they have on beer. I spent my $1,000 on my vertical rig instead. :)
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby trogman » Dec 31, 2011 8:57 am

Cody JW wrote:Memo to Trogman. If you are so quick to run down the Duo I suggest you change the image next to your signature on this forum. Do not confuse people and make them think you are endorsing this light.

Hey, the only reason I use that particular image is because the helmet is identical to mine. Someone needs to mount a Sten on that thing, and then it'll match mine to a tee!
As far as me thinking Duos are crap, I am just basing my opinion on my experience, just as you are. When you have 3 or 4 of them, and every one of them has quit due to the same problem, after a while you get tired of wasting money on new ones. I doubt putting bulb grease on the contacts would help with the broken wires, so I am still a bit perplexed as to why all of mine are developing the same problem. Maybe I'm just harder on my headlamps? The only possible cause that I can think of is the fact that I wear my helmet and light ridgewalking; maybe all the brush and branches are snagging the wire and putting extra strain on it.

Trogman :helmet: (with a Stenlight)
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby Cody JW » Dec 31, 2011 7:11 pm

You may be right trogman. I could be something catching on the cord when ridge walking. I always hang my Ecrin from my pack when walking very far to a cave so that is something that has never happened to me. I doubt if there is any kind of strain relief. I do not blame you for getting a Sten if you have had the same problem with multiple Duos. Sten is a nice light, it has a nice spread of beam also is very bright and last long on one charge. I like the way it has a switch that you can easily reach with gloves on. Ruda Nora is a nice light so is The Scurion. All are better lights than I have. I now have other hobbies than just caving as I do not cave at all in the summer as I ride bicycles in the summer. I have had great luck with my Duo and for me the option of getting the CD insert is one I have not regretted. It has a current generation , fully regulated and very efficient bulb that goes to 280 Lumen on high (340 for my other one). I already own some eneloops and a nice La Crosse charger so I will keep using it until it fails,if it ever does. For me the choice was 80 bucks to update my Duo that I love or 370 for a Sten and more than that for a Rude or Scurion. For someone like me who likely does not cave as often as some the choice was easy. I do not blame you Trogman for switching . My whole point is lots of people used to use a Duo then just put it on the shelf when The Apex and other brighter lights came out. If you already have the Duo that works fine getting a CD may be a good option. If you have to buy a new Duo and The CD you likely would be better off to save some more and get a Sten or maybe just buy The Spark or Zebra. I remember using a carbide cap lamp back in the early 80s, seeing all the choices we now have is just staggering . The tech changes rapidly and bright lights keep getting smaller cheaper and brighter. You guys with Stens have great lights, Extremeophile with his Scurion has an even nicer light. I wish I had a Rude Nora but I love what I have .
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum