Budget Lights

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Budget Lights

Postby Adventurer » Nov 30, 2011 1:21 pm

Ive been doing a lot of caving and hiking over the past year,i bought a 100 Lumen Energizer hardcase Pro headlamp http://www.energizerlightingproducts.co ... D31PH.aspx
It is waterproof,mudproof,rainproof,has taken some serious smashes in caves,has endured a 3 year olds tantrums,and its over a year old and not a single problem.Decent AA batteries will last 4hours on high,even cheapy batteries will last 2 hours.High and low settings,as well as red and green LEDs for night vision,and a light diffuser for spot light/area light(diffuser GREAT for caves and covers a massive area up to 50 ft,spot for up to 250ft!).The durability,toughness,and decent battery life made this the choice above and beyond many more expensive models.And for $30-im not going to argue!Can be found @ Walmart and most hardware stores.You will NOT be dissapointed.Just watch out,there are 70 and 100 lumen models,in the same 2 kinds of packaging(arrrg)so watch out!And the price some places will go $50,but the price IS $30.
PS I went thru a fleet of headlamps before this one.A fleet in less than 1 year.this one is over a year old now :)
Adventurer
Occasional Poster

Name: Ryan

Re: Budget Lights

Postby Marduke » Nov 30, 2011 2:04 pm

That's the light I started out with 3 years ago. I still use it for backup and loaner. Our grotto also has 4 of them to use as their loaner lights.

Be careful of the plastic that holds the headband to the front module. It can easily break off. A zip tie will fix it however.
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Budget Lights

Postby Adventurer » Dec 1, 2011 12:43 am

Havent had that issue,yet.Love the budget toughness though :D
Adventurer
Occasional Poster

Name: Ryan

Return to Equipment Forum