Spark FULL FLOOD SD6 series now out!

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Spark FULL FLOOD SD6 series now out!

Postby rlboyce » Oct 1, 2011 8:39 am

NEW
http://www.sbflashlights.com/Spark-Headlamps/Spark-SD6-500CW-p138.html

Image taken from sbflashlights.com

Spark has a couple of new models out called the SD6 series, one a cool white tint 500 lumen model, and the other a neutral tint 460 lumen model. These are very similar to the well-received ST6 series, except that they have no projecting reflector and are thus a true flood light. These are also powered by a single 18560 battery which is delivered to an XM-L led, just like the ST6 series. A different light output levels are used, but the overall efficiency and highest setting appears unchanged.

Again, this is a full flood light, unlike the ST6 series that have a large hot spot. It will be interesting to see if the flood from an SD6 will exceed that of a ST6. It may in fact have more flood, since with the ST6 efficiency is lost through the diffuser, or if you don't have the reflector in then light is being lost along the deep well of the reflector compartment. Personally, I think the option to have a large hotspot like the ST6 while caving is preferable, however, some cavers may disagree. For those who want full flood, this light will give it to you in all its wonderful, unrestrained glory. It's worth mentioning that this is currently the brightest mass-produced flood headlamp that I am aware of.

Picture this:
The brightest spot headlamp (an HP11) on your helmet.
The brightest flood headlamp (an SD6-500CW) on the same helmet.

What a perfect and enviable combo!! Perfect weight distribution. The ability to vary levels of spot and flood. The complete package, including shipping, batteries and a charger for under $200. Who needs to waste $600 on a Rude Nora or even more on a Scurion? It's nice to have it all in one package, I agree, but I don't know if it's worth paying three times as much for that convenience. And remember, two units instead of one doubles reliability.
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Re: Spark FULL FLOOD SD6 series now out!

Postby rlboyce » Oct 1, 2011 8:54 am

I am not a salesman, nor do I particularly like listening to those who are. I am presenting this new light to you because I think some of you might want to know it exists.

Also, keep your eye out for the possible upcoming SD5 flood series. These will use the more common AA batteries, which some will find incredibly convenient. The light output will probably be similar or identical to what the ST6 and SD6 series put out, but the runtimes are almost surely going to be reduced. I suppose some of you would consider this an acceptable tradeoff if you can use cells you are familiar with. Just another light to keep in mind if any of you don't plan on buying a light right now, but may consider one at a later point in time.
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Oct 1, 2011 10:21 am

Thanks for the post . I like to see all the great new lights out there. For someone like me who used to cave with a carbide cap lamp a few decades ago all the options we have now are hard to imagine, and it keeps getting better.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Caver John » Oct 2, 2011 11:46 am

This looks like a very nice light for someone looking for a full flood. Lots of good competition out there now f
Caver John
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Scag grotto

Postby Caver John » Oct 2, 2011 12:00 pm

This looks like a very nice light for someone looking for a full flood. Lots of good competition out there now. Even though I've already expressed and interest in the st-6, and this looks to be equally impressive, I still would not compare even the combo of the two with rude Nora.

With the st-6 and now the sd-6 we're looking at 220lm for 3.5hrs where rude Nora will give you 850lm for the same time. Even the combo of these two lights (st-6, sd-6) still really don't cOmpare in my mind to nora but let's keep everything on the same playing field and remember the huge price difference.

With that said, I still don't know which package I would go after.

I can't wait to see beamshots of the new flood. I'll be stalking the Cpf forums.
Caver John
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rlboyce » Oct 2, 2011 12:50 pm

Yes, but don't forget Rude uses three times the number of cells the Sparks do. Rude is no more efficient than the Sparks. It just has more energy in reserve. The ultimate difference is that to run the same amount of time using the same amount of energy, you have to change the cells more often with the Sparks. An acceptable inconvenience, IMO, and in a way a good thing since this means less weight to carry around on your noggin'.

I don't know what I'll ultimately choose either. I'd like the Rude, just like I'd like a Scurion too. But that's not going to happen. What is going to happen is a 500CW, a 460NW or a H600. Right now, I need to decide how much I prefer a neutral tint. If I go neutral, I only have one choice to make: the 460NW. If I go cool white, then I'm probably going to go with the most bang for my buck and get the H600.
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Caver John » Oct 3, 2011 4:17 pm

rlboyce wrote:Yes, but don't forget Rude uses three times the number of cells the Sparks do. Rude is no more efficient than the Sparks. It just has more energy in reserve. The ultimate difference is that to run the same amount of time using the same amount of energy, you have to change the cells more often with the Sparks. An acceptable inconvenience, IMO, and in a way a good thing since this means less weight to carry around on your noggin'.

I don't know what I'll ultimately choose either. I'd like the Rude, just like I'd like a Scurion too. But that's not going to happen. What is going to happen is a 500CW, a 460NW or a H600. Right now, I need to decide how much I prefer a neutral tint. If I go neutral, I only have one choice to make: the 460NW. If I go cool white, then I'm probably going to go with the most bang for my buck and get the H600.

Indeed something I've overlooked.

I think I've crossed the fenix off my list for now, and unless I have some sort of premature mid life crisis rude Nora will Probly have to wait, but spark is looking good.
Caver John
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Caver John » Dec 21, 2011 8:06 am

Well I received my sd6-500cw in the mail and tried it out a bit.
This is my first spark and I am impressed. It seems very rugged. Switch and ui is very easy to use.
As far as the output let me say this:
The med2 and max modes will be very gOod settings in cave. There's not too much difference between max and super but it's noticeable.
This thing creates a WALL of light with a very wide angle! Standing about 15' away from my house this thing lit up the entire side.
I will post some pics asap.
Overall, I'm very happy.

Paid $89.00 for the light, $12 for a charger and $6.99ea for 18650's. Batteries and charger are Tenergy.
Caver John
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 21, 2011 12:14 pm

Glad you like it. I've had mine for a while now. Pretty sure I'm phasing out 4x aa lamPs due to the spark and zebra 18650 lights. I hate corded battery packs. More weight and inevitable wiring short circuits due to repeated bending.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Caver John » Dec 21, 2011 12:30 pm

Chads93GT wrote:Glad you like it. I've had mine for a while now. Pretty sure I'm phasing out 4x aa lamPs due to the spark and zebra 18650 lights. I hate corded battery packs. More weight and inevitable wiring short circuits due to repeated bending.

Yea I think I'm headed the same direction. I havnt put it on my helmet yet but on my head the weight wasn't bad.
I'd like to add a st6 for throw but I wonder if both lights upfront will be to front heavy.????

I'm very Impressed by the sd's wall of clean even light.
Caver John
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 21, 2011 12:32 pm

I wish the Sparks/Zebra had bike mounts! :)
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Caver John » Dec 21, 2011 12:49 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:I wish the Sparks/Zebra had bike mounts! :)

It would be super easy to mount a spark to a bike with some zip ties
Caver John
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 21, 2011 1:01 pm

Caver John wrote:
Chads93GT wrote:Glad you like it. I've had mine for a while now. Pretty sure I'm phasing out 4x aa lamPs due to the spark and zebra 18650 lights. I hate corded battery packs. More weight and inevitable wiring short circuits due to repeated bending.

Yea I think I'm headed the same direction. I havnt put it on my helmet yet but on my head the weight wasn't bad.
I'd like to add a st6 for throw but I wonder if both lights upfront will be to front heavy.????

I'm very Impressed by the sd's wall of clean even light.

Before I got the st6 I had a fenix hp10 and hp20 mounted on my helmet. Now I have the hp10 and the spark. After the zebra h600 comes In I won't think twice about mounting both up front. The dual fenix setup was ridiculously heavy. Two 18650s on the front is nothing by weight comparison. Can't wait.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Caver John » Dec 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Sounds good. I think I'll add the st6 upfront along with the sd6.
ThAt will give me plenty of flood and throw on two cells.

I also have a fenix e21 (2 x aa) mounted on the side for aux spot or backup.

For curiosity sake, how many 18650's do u carry per light? I'm sure it depends on the trip, but in general, how many extras do u keep around?
Caver John
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 21, 2011 1:20 pm

Right now I only have 2 rechargeable 18650s and a couple backup cr123s as. I still have the hp10 on AAs. When the zebra h600 comes In I plan on carrying 8 18650's. Total. I believe in being loaded for bear. A few weeks ago I was involved with a cave rescue and it took all resources I had on me. Yeah. I'll still be carrying an assload of batteries after that.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Equipment Forum